Track Tension

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lesgawlik

I had my T200 throw a track the other day. I was able to get it back on, but I am wondering whether I have enough grease in the tensioning cylinder. There is just a little sag in the top of the tracks at rest. I can push the bucket down to get the tracks off the ground, and I have about an inch of sag from the bottom of the rollers to the track. I was surprised that it threw the track, since there wasn't much sag in the track at the time. There was about 3/4 inch at the time. What is the best way to ensure the tension is proper?

bobbie-g

The tension sounds about like I run my T180. With a straight-edge along the top of the track, I like to run with about half an inch of sag. Obviously, too tight will wear the track/sprocket faster. Too loose and you know what happens. Really easy to add grease to increase the tension, and just open the bleeder nipple right next to the grease zerk to loosen it off. Catch the grease in a paper tower. Just one or two pumps on the grease gun will make a noticeable difference. Now, why did yours derail? Were you on a side slope? I'm disappointed with my tracked machine on side slopes. I installed off-road sissy gauges (tilt gauges) and drive by them most of the time. I now know that 15 degrees is fine IF IF IF the ground is smooth. If there are rocks or stumps, I think what happens is one of the rollers will ride up on it, allowing the rest of the track to hang down loose. With side pressure on it, the track tries to derail. I really messed one up when I was learning, and had it derailed about two inches. That time I was probably running the track a bit too loose, but the biggest problem was that I was running over 3 or 4" diameter logs on a 20 degree side slope. Took half an hour to finally get it back on, by just gritting my teeth and forcing the machine forward. What I could easily have done (if I knew enough back then) was to let a handful of grease out of the bleeder to get some slack, helped by put a small log between the track and the sprocket and move it forward enough to compress the tensioner grease chamber. With that much slack, I probably could have put it back on much easier. Then just pump up the grease chamber and we're back up and running. :) ---RC

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

The tension sounds about like I run my T180. With a straight-edge along the top of the track, I like to run with about half an inch of sag. Obviously, too tight will wear the track/sprocket faster. Too loose and you know what happens. Really easy to add grease to increase the tension, and just open the bleeder nipple right next to the grease zerk to loosen it off. Catch the grease in a paper tower. Just one or two pumps on the grease gun will make a noticeable difference. Now, why did yours derail? Were you on a side slope? I'm disappointed with my tracked machine on side slopes. I installed off-road sissy gauges (tilt gauges) and drive by them most of the time. I now know that 15 degrees is fine IF IF IF the ground is smooth. If there are rocks or stumps, I think what happens is one of the rollers will ride up on it, allowing the rest of the track to hang down loose. With side pressure on it, the track tries to derail. I really messed one up when I was learning, and had it derailed about two inches. That time I was probably running the track a bit too loose, but the biggest problem was that I was running over 3 or 4" diameter logs on a 20 degree side slope. Took half an hour to finally get it back on, by just gritting my teeth and forcing the machine forward. What I could easily have done (if I knew enough back then) was to let a handful of grease out of the bleeder to get some slack, helped by put a small log between the track and the sprocket and move it forward enough to compress the tensioner grease chamber. With that much slack, I probably could have put it back on much easier. Then just pump up the grease chamber and we're back up and running. :) ---RC
I'm new to this, and never added grease to the tracks. I had run my machine about 50 hours. The tracks were a little loose. An experienced operator told me that the tracks were a little loose, and I should think about tightening them up. My son was bringing up a load of wood and did a sharp right hand turn. He was on a steep uphill slope. That was enough to cause the right track to slip off. I have a very good shop where I have all my work done. I called them and they gave me instructions for releasing the tension. I had a tough time at first finding the release valve. The zerk was clean and had a little fresh grease on it, so it was easy to see. The release valve was covered with grunge. When we released the grease valve, the grease shot out. However, we got a lot of slack and it wasn't too hard to pry the track back on. We pumped up the tracks, and have been able to negotiate the same route many times with success. I was just wondering how much tension was too much. It's such an easy job that I tell the kids to check the track tension each time they run the machine, in conjunction with checking the fluids. I am extremely impressed with my machine. I cannot believe the terrain it handles. I only got it stuck once, and that was with sloppy mud that got under the belly pan, and just left the tracks spinning. I had one experienced operator who took it down a 45 degree slope. Yesterday, my son knocked down an 80' 18" diameter oak. He just got the top rocking and pushed it over little by little. It was a terrific sight to see! If I thought they all would have been that easy, I wouldn't haven't bothered with a chainsaw.

gtstang462002

I'm new to this, and never added grease to the tracks. I had run my machine about 50 hours. The tracks were a little loose. An experienced operator told me that the tracks were a little loose, and I should think about tightening them up. My son was bringing up a load of wood and did a sharp right hand turn. He was on a steep uphill slope. That was enough to cause the right track to slip off. I have a very good shop where I have all my work done. I called them and they gave me instructions for releasing the tension. I had a tough time at first finding the release valve. The zerk was clean and had a little fresh grease on it, so it was easy to see. The release valve was covered with grunge. When we released the grease valve, the grease shot out. However, we got a lot of slack and it wasn't too hard to pry the track back on. We pumped up the tracks, and have been able to negotiate the same route many times with success. I was just wondering how much tension was too much. It's such an easy job that I tell the kids to check the track tension each time they run the machine, in conjunction with checking the fluids. I am extremely impressed with my machine. I cannot believe the terrain it handles. I only got it stuck once, and that was with sloppy mud that got under the belly pan, and just left the tracks spinning. I had one experienced operator who took it down a 45 degree slope. Yesterday, my son knocked down an 80' 18" diameter oak. He just got the top rocking and pushed it over little by little. It was a terrific sight to see! If I thought they all would have been that easy, I wouldn't haven't bothered with a chainsaw.
The manual calls for 1/2" to 5/8" of sag between the rollers and the track with the track completley jacked up at least 3" off of the ground. Email me if you are interested in the manual for a T300.

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

The manual calls for 1/2" to 5/8" of sag between the rollers and the track with the track completley jacked up at least 3" off of the ground. Email me if you are interested in the manual for a T300.
gt, for some reason I can't get your email from your profile.

Fishfiles

[email protected] sorry, forgot that I don't publicly list myself on these forums.
I forget about the top , throw a block under the back of the machine and lift the machine off the ground so the track is not touching the ground , tighten up till you can slide your fingers sideways between the closes to middle roller and the track and have a finger and 1/2 of space