Toyota skid steer SDK-7 diesel motor needed ,or repower advice

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Skid-a-holic

Hi ,new to the forum,and I see no page for "Toyota" skid steers,so I'm posting this here!.. My brother recently bought a 1988 (?) Toyota SDK-7 skid steer that had a blown diesel motor,a Toyota "2J" and he is missing some parts,and would likely be better off just finding another engine from a donor,as his will require more money to fix than the purchase price he paid for it,and he's not willing to gamble the hydraulics may work good,or may not,after spending thousands on getting his engine rebuilt.. Anyone have leads on where he could find a complete 2J diesel,(We have heard some Toyota forklifts may use the same engine )...or info on repowering it with a different engine altogether perhaps??...anyone here ever swap a different motor into a Toyota skid steer?...we'd like to get this thing useable!... Thanks for any info in advance!.. Bob

Tazza

Staff member
I would suspect you could throw another engine at it. The main problem you will have is matching the height and mounting arrangement.
How is the engine attached to the pump? in line or belt driven? Belt drive is a little less of a problem as you don't need to line the pump and motor up spot on. If its direct you need to pay close attention to lining up the end of the pump to the end of the motor. My manual for a 743 specifies no more than 1/4" out of dead centre is acceptable.
There is always a way to modify it, just ensure the donor engine is the same size or slightly larger in HP.
I would only replace it with a diesel as a petrol engine has its torque at higher revs than diesel. You need most of your power below 3,000 RPM as this is about as fast as a diesel goes and the pump will be matched for this speed. Also it will need a govenor, ideally you would want a Kubota out of an old refrigerated container, they seem to be easy to find and quite cheap.

OP
OP
S

Skid-a-holic

I would suspect you could throw another engine at it. The main problem you will have is matching the height and mounting arrangement.
How is the engine attached to the pump? in line or belt driven? Belt drive is a little less of a problem as you don't need to line the pump and motor up spot on. If its direct you need to pay close attention to lining up the end of the pump to the end of the motor. My manual for a 743 specifies no more than 1/4" out of dead centre is acceptable.
There is always a way to modify it, just ensure the donor engine is the same size or slightly larger in HP.
I would only replace it with a diesel as a petrol engine has its torque at higher revs than diesel. You need most of your power below 3,000 RPM as this is about as fast as a diesel goes and the pump will be matched for this speed. Also it will need a govenor, ideally you would want a Kubota out of an old refrigerated container, they seem to be easy to find and quite cheap.
Thanks for the quick reply !.. I have taken note of the salvage place listed in another post here,and will forward their phone # to my brother..I spent yesterday visiting junkyards and scrap yards in my area,hoping to find a Toyota forklift among the scrap heaps--none to be had,but one place is expecting a load of forklifts from a closed warehouse to be coming in soon,some are "japaneese" ,but the guy didn't recall exactly what brand they were--guess I'll have to pray one is a diesel Toyota!..(he did say there were both diesel and gas ones in the auction pile he bought,so I'm hoping!).. The SKD-7 had a 39 HP diesel ,it bolts to the pump like a car engine ,with a bell housing similar to a car..(yeah,not the easiest thing to "adapt" some other engine too,but still "doable"..) I could make a plate that bolts to the bellhousing with pillow block bearings to convert it to a V-belt or chain drive I suppose,if mating another engine directly to the pump like the original was too difficult or impossible ..the original motor uses a clutch disc like a car to join the pump's splined input shaft and flywheel,much like a flex plate on a car with an automatic!--it has no friction surfaces,it simply bolts the two together,and uses the disc's hub springs to dampen any vibrations and allow some "flex" for minor misalignment.. I was hoping some type of Toyota car engine might bolt up to the bell housing,but finding any carbed engines that old is impossible,no boneyards here keep any old cars now.. I have a CCK/MS 2 cyl. Onan ,but have been advised its probably only 20 HP,not the 25 its rated at,and probably would be too underpowered to drive the pump--but I am tempted to somehow hook it up to the pump,even if only temporarily,to see if the pump and other hydraulics work and dont leak,before getting in too deep on adapting another engine into this thing!...of course finding the proper engine would be ideal,but I think that will be difficult,especially for short money.. I also have an aincient Continental Y-69 4 cyl gas motor,but that would also need work to run again,and probably too weak,at only 19.9 hp..looks like it would fit in it good though,very similar in length as the OEM Toyota diesel..not many other "donor" engines available here,I was hoping to find an old "Iron Duke" from a Monza ,that would fit in it ,or maybe a Pinto 4 banger,being an inline engine,but I suppose it would be wise to stick with a diesel if possible.. The parts for the 2J Toyota are very costly--4 pistons go for 350 bucks,liners are 120 each,and two connceting rods were missing,those alone would cost about 400 bucks--and some sheet metal lifter covers, and brackets are missing too,the crank is supposedly cracked,the block and cam and head are about the only "good" parts left!..so we are leaning towards a "swap" to something more common ,and less costly to repair,if we cant get lucky and score the correct motor for it....one website I found online specializes in repowering skid steers with Briggs Vangaurd motors,but I have doubts they would be powerful enough,the biggest one available is 35 hp,and would cost more than my brother paid for the loader,so that's not really an option.. Any other advice anyone can give will be much appreciated,I'd love to hear from anyone with "repowering" experience here if they have adapted a different engine into a skid steer.. I've dealt with small engines mostly,never had the $$$$$$ to buy a skid steer and play,but now might be my chance,as my brother is disgusted with it already,and so discouraged he may just dump it in my shop to fool with,or try to sell it,for what he has into it..(probably not going to be easy in its present condition though).. The Kubota diesels on reefer trucks are a good suggestion,I never thought to look for one,and I bet there are some around here sitting in junk trailer reefer truck bodies!.. Thanks for your help!..any others here willing to share their experience with engine swaps in skid steers would be greatly appreciated!.. Bob

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the quick reply !.. I have taken note of the salvage place listed in another post here,and will forward their phone # to my brother..I spent yesterday visiting junkyards and scrap yards in my area,hoping to find a Toyota forklift among the scrap heaps--none to be had,but one place is expecting a load of forklifts from a closed warehouse to be coming in soon,some are "japaneese" ,but the guy didn't recall exactly what brand they were--guess I'll have to pray one is a diesel Toyota!..(he did say there were both diesel and gas ones in the auction pile he bought,so I'm hoping!).. The SKD-7 had a 39 HP diesel ,it bolts to the pump like a car engine ,with a bell housing similar to a car..(yeah,not the easiest thing to "adapt" some other engine too,but still "doable"..) I could make a plate that bolts to the bellhousing with pillow block bearings to convert it to a V-belt or chain drive I suppose,if mating another engine directly to the pump like the original was too difficult or impossible ..the original motor uses a clutch disc like a car to join the pump's splined input shaft and flywheel,much like a flex plate on a car with an automatic!--it has no friction surfaces,it simply bolts the two together,and uses the disc's hub springs to dampen any vibrations and allow some "flex" for minor misalignment.. I was hoping some type of Toyota car engine might bolt up to the bell housing,but finding any carbed engines that old is impossible,no boneyards here keep any old cars now.. I have a CCK/MS 2 cyl. Onan ,but have been advised its probably only 20 HP,not the 25 its rated at,and probably would be too underpowered to drive the pump--but I am tempted to somehow hook it up to the pump,even if only temporarily,to see if the pump and other hydraulics work and dont leak,before getting in too deep on adapting another engine into this thing!...of course finding the proper engine would be ideal,but I think that will be difficult,especially for short money.. I also have an aincient Continental Y-69 4 cyl gas motor,but that would also need work to run again,and probably too weak,at only 19.9 hp..looks like it would fit in it good though,very similar in length as the OEM Toyota diesel..not many other "donor" engines available here,I was hoping to find an old "Iron Duke" from a Monza ,that would fit in it ,or maybe a Pinto 4 banger,being an inline engine,but I suppose it would be wise to stick with a diesel if possible.. The parts for the 2J Toyota are very costly--4 pistons go for 350 bucks,liners are 120 each,and two connceting rods were missing,those alone would cost about 400 bucks--and some sheet metal lifter covers, and brackets are missing too,the crank is supposedly cracked,the block and cam and head are about the only "good" parts left!..so we are leaning towards a "swap" to something more common ,and less costly to repair,if we cant get lucky and score the correct motor for it....one website I found online specializes in repowering skid steers with Briggs Vangaurd motors,but I have doubts they would be powerful enough,the biggest one available is 35 hp,and would cost more than my brother paid for the loader,so that's not really an option.. Any other advice anyone can give will be much appreciated,I'd love to hear from anyone with "repowering" experience here if they have adapted a different engine into a skid steer.. I've dealt with small engines mostly,never had the $$$$$$ to buy a skid steer and play,but now might be my chance,as my brother is disgusted with it already,and so discouraged he may just dump it in my shop to fool with,or try to sell it,for what he has into it..(probably not going to be easy in its present condition though).. The Kubota diesels on reefer trucks are a good suggestion,I never thought to look for one,and I bet there are some around here sitting in junk trailer reefer truck bodies!.. Thanks for your help!..any others here willing to share their experience with engine swaps in skid steers would be greatly appreciated!.. Bob
I see no reason why the onan will not work, even though its under powered it still should operate the machine. Being hydrostatic drive, you don't need ALL the power all the time. You can simply back off and it uses less power from the engine. It would at least tell you what the hydraulics/hydrostatics are like.
From my experience, when you get a machine with a dead engine like you do, they hydraulics should be fine as they would have been working up to the time the engine gave out. I bought a 743 with a dead engine, hole through the block. Threw another engine in and it was perfect! I would assume another engine and you are set to go.
The setup you are talking about i sort of know about, some run a flex plate with rubber mounts bonded to it to allow for flex. You may also want to consider using universal joints to link the pump to motor if need be. The way you describe the bell housing, that makes it even easier as most engines are available like that, you just need to match it with the correct sized one.
At least you sound like you know what to do, there is always a way around problems, i have heard of people changing out a dead engine with one from a VW Beetle! if you have the patience just about anything can be fixed!.

jerry

I see no reason why the onan will not work, even though its under powered it still should operate the machine. Being hydrostatic drive, you don't need ALL the power all the time. You can simply back off and it uses less power from the engine. It would at least tell you what the hydraulics/hydrostatics are like.
From my experience, when you get a machine with a dead engine like you do, they hydraulics should be fine as they would have been working up to the time the engine gave out. I bought a 743 with a dead engine, hole through the block. Threw another engine in and it was perfect! I would assume another engine and you are set to go.
The setup you are talking about i sort of know about, some run a flex plate with rubber mounts bonded to it to allow for flex. You may also want to consider using universal joints to link the pump to motor if need be. The way you describe the bell housing, that makes it even easier as most engines are available like that, you just need to match it with the correct sized one.
At least you sound like you know what to do, there is always a way around problems, i have heard of people changing out a dead engine with one from a VW Beetle! if you have the patience just about anything can be fixed!.
This is the address of a skid steer salvage in Pa. I found it in Farm Show magazine, they are supposed to specialize in skid steers I have never had any contact with them. GD Equipment 414 Rowe Rd Shippensburg Pa. 17257 tel. 717-530-0170

brettk1

This is the address of a skid steer salvage in Pa. I found it in Farm Show magazine, they are supposed to specialize in skid steers I have never had any contact with them. GD Equipment 414 Rowe Rd Shippensburg Pa. 17257 tel. 717-530-0170
Here is a part supplier who was very reasonable on mitsubishi parts and they say they carry toyota parts http://www.enginepowersource.com/html/engine_parts.htm

OP
OP
S

Skid-a-holic

Here is a part supplier who was very reasonable on mitsubishi parts and they say they carry toyota parts http://www.enginepowersource.com/html/engine_parts.htm
Thanks for all your help!..I appreciate your replys!..I'll forward the info to my brother.. I made paragraphs when I posted,but it came out as one long sentence for some reason!..sorry about that!..not sure why that happened.??? My brother bought the Toyota to "upgrade" from a much smaller New Holland skid steer,he felt it wasn't powerful enough to do what he wants it for,and it lacks auxillary hydraulics,which the Toyota does have..so,if I put the Onan in it,it'll be about the same HP as the small skid steer,and likely wont be much of an "upgrade"..so he may prefer to go with a stock diesel if he can find one reasonable,or a gas motor with more HP..but I might hook the Ona up to ensure everything else is OK--I think it should be OK,since it doesn't look beaten to death,and shows only a bit more than 1000 hours on the meter!.. Myself,I'd be happy with it if the Onan powered it sufficiently enough for it to be usefull,and with less HP,you would have less chance of breaking anything--but he prefers to have more HP than less if possible.. We though of a VW beetle motor,my brother had a 1960 Beetle he sold last year,and knows where some engines for one are ,fairly cheap!..it would appear a VW Beetle motor would be fairly easy to adapt to the pump,and being air cooled ,no radiator to fool with!..or block to crack in the winter..but I think a VW motor would be too wide to fit in the engine compartment..(bummer!).. Any other's experience with a motor swap here,is greatly appreciated,I'd love to hear of any other ones that have been repowered.. I have made many home brewed tractors with small engines ,golf cart diffs and parts,etc,but this will be my first attempt at a repower-if my brother decides to go that route.. If repowering the Toyota worked out,I know of a Case Uniloader with a blown up diesel that can be had for less than 2K,in decent shape--it has a driveshaft coming from the pump to the motor,looks like it'd be quite simple to make another motor work in that one!..If I had the cash,I'd buy it and fool with it,it would be worth much more once it runs again..I sure could use a skid steer,after seeing what my plow truck did to my lawn this winter!..

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for all your help!..I appreciate your replys!..I'll forward the info to my brother.. I made paragraphs when I posted,but it came out as one long sentence for some reason!..sorry about that!..not sure why that happened.??? My brother bought the Toyota to "upgrade" from a much smaller New Holland skid steer,he felt it wasn't powerful enough to do what he wants it for,and it lacks auxillary hydraulics,which the Toyota does have..so,if I put the Onan in it,it'll be about the same HP as the small skid steer,and likely wont be much of an "upgrade"..so he may prefer to go with a stock diesel if he can find one reasonable,or a gas motor with more HP..but I might hook the Ona up to ensure everything else is OK--I think it should be OK,since it doesn't look beaten to death,and shows only a bit more than 1000 hours on the meter!.. Myself,I'd be happy with it if the Onan powered it sufficiently enough for it to be usefull,and with less HP,you would have less chance of breaking anything--but he prefers to have more HP than less if possible.. We though of a VW beetle motor,my brother had a 1960 Beetle he sold last year,and knows where some engines for one are ,fairly cheap!..it would appear a VW Beetle motor would be fairly easy to adapt to the pump,and being air cooled ,no radiator to fool with!..or block to crack in the winter..but I think a VW motor would be too wide to fit in the engine compartment..(bummer!).. Any other's experience with a motor swap here,is greatly appreciated,I'd love to hear of any other ones that have been repowered.. I have made many home brewed tractors with small engines ,golf cart diffs and parts,etc,but this will be my first attempt at a repower-if my brother decides to go that route.. If repowering the Toyota worked out,I know of a Case Uniloader with a blown up diesel that can be had for less than 2K,in decent shape--it has a driveshaft coming from the pump to the motor,looks like it'd be quite simple to make another motor work in that one!..If I had the cash,I'd buy it and fool with it,it would be worth much more once it runs again..I sure could use a skid steer,after seeing what my plow truck did to my lawn this winter!..
For sure the best option is to throw an engine of the same size or bigger in. The smaller one would only work to show it operates and i wouldn't leave it in as its too under powered..
Your posts, login then click profile, click the box that says use html editor (Free text box) This will fix your issues with paragraphs. If you use Firefox this doesn't always work, but it will if you use Internet explorer.

skidsteer.ca

For sure the best option is to throw an engine of the same size or bigger in. The smaller one would only work to show it operates and i wouldn't leave it in as its too under powered..
Your posts, login then click profile, click the box that says use html editor (Free text box) This will fix your issues with paragraphs. If you use Firefox this doesn't always work, but it will if you use Internet explorer.
First off
When it comes to diesels many use a industry standard SAE series 1,2,3,4 or 5 behousing
If the bell housing bolts (to the motor) are evenly spaced and in a perfect circle pattern, it is one of the standards.
However some larger manufactures stray away from this if they make the engine and transmission, but I'd bet on it being a series 4.
Same is true for the flywheel. Check out the pictures here.
http://surpluscenter.com/MorePhotos.asp?ITEM=28-1636
This engine has no bellhousing on it but you could compare your flywheel to the measurements here.
Also check this engine, its 50 hp and listed as a SAE series 4
http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008020311310656&item=28-1647&catname=engines
The additional photos
http://surpluscenter.com/MorePhotos.asp?ITEM=28-1647
Look at the 3rd photo, this is a perfect example of what I mean.
Call these folks and ask for some information about using one of the Kubotas to repower. I'm sure you will learn plenty and they can likely send you more diagrams and photos. One the bell and flywheel thing is sorted out the rest is within the DIY league.
Then you will be on track as to what could fit.
I' sure a 4bt cummins 4cyl from a Case, or Cat or Deere or Kubota would all have one that would fit right in there.
Ken

Billy j u n k

Hi ,new to the forum,and I see no page for "Toyota" skid steers,so I'm posting this here!.. My brother recently bought a 1988 (?) Toyota SDK-7 skid steer that had a blown diesel motor,a Toyota "2J" and he is missing some parts,and would likely be better off just finding another engine from a donor,as his will require more money to fix than the purchase price he paid for it,and he's not willing to gamble the hydraulics may work good,or may not,after spending thousands on getting his engine rebuilt.. Anyone have leads on where he could find a complete 2J diesel,(We have heard some Toyota forklifts may use the same engine )...or info on repowering it with a different engine altogether perhaps??...anyone here ever swap a different motor into a Toyota skid steer?...we'd like to get this thing useable!... Thanks for any info in advance!.. Bob
I know this is an Old Post but I have a Toyota Series 7 I'm parting out diesel engine runs good I'm in Sunny South Florida it'll be emailed at Smith scrap [email protected] that is all one word

OP
OP
S

Skid-a-holic

First off
When it comes to diesels many use a industry standard SAE series 1,2,3,4 or 5 behousing
If the bell housing bolts (to the motor) are evenly spaced and in a perfect circle pattern, it is one of the standards.
However some larger manufactures stray away from this if they make the engine and transmission, but I'd bet on it being a series 4.
Same is true for the flywheel. Check out the pictures here.
http://surpluscenter.com/MorePhotos.asp?ITEM=28-1636
This engine has no bellhousing on it but you could compare your flywheel to the measurements here.
Also check this engine, its 50 hp and listed as a SAE series 4
http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008020311310656&item=28-1647&catname=engines
The additional photos
http://surpluscenter.com/MorePhotos.asp?ITEM=28-1647
Look at the 3rd photo, this is a perfect example of what I mean.
Call these folks and ask for some information about using one of the Kubotas to repower. I'm sure you will learn plenty and they can likely send you more diagrams and photos. One the bell and flywheel thing is sorted out the rest is within the DIY league.
Then you will be on track as to what could fit.
I' sure a 4bt cummins 4cyl from a Case, or Cat or Deere or Kubota would all have one that would fit right in there.
Ken
Thanks for that info!..I only got a short time to gawk at the bolt pattern on the hyrdo pump and engine block the day we picked up the Totyota,but I dont recall it looking like the one in your picture of the CAT diesel..perhaps its a "toyota only" deal,but I'm hoping it isnt..to me,the "bell housing" on the hydro pump was narrower,and wasn't really "round" looking,it looked more like a car bellhousing that a FWD Toyota might have ..it's probably a "weirdo" with my luck!.. :(

That Continental engine I have (a Y69) has a similar round looking bellhousing bolt pattern to the one on that CAT diesel,but I'm not sure if it IS an "SAE" style or not...doesn't matter really,it wouldn't be powerful enough anyhow,or easy to get parts for either..so I doubt I'd use that motor..

I will forward the info to my brother,and hopefully one of us will either come across a stock "yoda" diesel for it,or some other alternative engine soon..he might just give up,and sell it,if he gets an offer close to what he paid for it..but I feel its well worth adapting some other power plant into it.. Thanks for all the help,I really appreciate it!..

Bob

Latest posts