Towing dead Bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

09rja

I have a Bobcat 731 that I am getting taken to a mechanic. It won't start so I had a few questions about the towing process that the manual can't answer. 1. I'm not sure how to get this thing in neutral. Any ideas? 2. I think I am going to take the bucket off. But I wonder: will that throw the balance off where it wants to flip backwards? I would think the roll back tow truck operator would want to roll it up by attaching to the back.....but if it's unstable that way (without the bucket).....I'm not sure.

Tazza

Staff member
I have always used brute force to drag dead machines. You can remove the two big hoses off the motors and it will roll, but you risk getting dirt in the system and if you roll it far enough, you could run it our of oil.
Good lick with your project

brdgbldr

I have a Bobcat 731 that I am getting taken to a mechanic. It won't start so I had a few questions about the towing process that the manual can't answer. 1. I'm not sure how to get this thing in neutral. Any ideas? 2. I think I am going to take the bucket off. But I wonder: will that throw the balance off where it wants to flip backwards? I would think the roll back tow truck operator would want to roll it up by attaching to the back.....but if it's unstable that way (without the bucket).....I'm not sure.
Check the post for

Towing a dead 743

There is a special tool used to open up the pump that is discontinued but someone on here has made them out of 3/8" copper pipe.

As for the removing the bucket, even with the bucket on, the machine is back heavy unless the bucket is full. With the bucket on or off, always go up a slope in reverse to avoid tipping over backwards unless the bucket is full which reverses the balance. Of course if you tip forward with a loaded bucket, in the proper low travel position, the bucket will keep you from tipping forward.

So basically, when in doubt, back up a slope.