Toolcats

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GILL

I'm curious what others think of Toolcats. They seem to have decent horsepower and a nice easy to enter cab. It takes some joystick handling to make the bucket and attachments work and they don't seem to have the lifting capacity or reach of similar horsepower machines though. Are they problematic with all the buttons etc.? Are they hard to service? Just curious if they are worth the money they ask for them used. Thanks, Greg

SkidRoe

I know BCD has had some good things to say about them. I think they have their place. What do you plan to use it for?
Cheers - SR

Bobcatdan

I know BCD has had some good things to say about them. I think they have their place. What do you plan to use it for?
Cheers - SR
If I had the money and use, I'd own a toolcat. I'd buy new and get the added warranty. They don't come up used much and bring good money if in good shape. Also many used ones saw a lot of salt in the winter and get pretty rusty. They wear like a pickup truck more then an industrial equipment. Awesome tool carriers like brooms, snowblowers or mowers. Not real dig in the dirt machines, but for light use, OK with a bucket. Toolcats get up to about 18 mph top end which is fast enough. A good comparison between a tool cat and a skidsteer. One year I had a toolcat to use to plow the lot. With a 2 speed skidsteer, 1 1/2 hour average. With a toolcat, 45 minutes. The newer ones are four wheel independent suspension. Give or take at a 1000 hours, it will need some ball joints or tierod ends. I wouldn't want an older soild axle unit, bigger pain in the butt to work on units. Newer ones are better, but have their challenges. At the end of the day, a toolcat will either fit your needs great or not be that useful at all. Remember these are not gators. About the size of a classic regular cab S10. 66 hp diesel. 4 wheel drive, steering, independent suspension. 27 gpm high flow. 1500 lbs lift capacity, about 7' lift height. Heat and A/C cab, radio optional.

mmsllc

If I had the money and use, I'd own a toolcat. I'd buy new and get the added warranty. They don't come up used much and bring good money if in good shape. Also many used ones saw a lot of salt in the winter and get pretty rusty. They wear like a pickup truck more then an industrial equipment. Awesome tool carriers like brooms, snowblowers or mowers. Not real dig in the dirt machines, but for light use, OK with a bucket. Toolcats get up to about 18 mph top end which is fast enough. A good comparison between a tool cat and a skidsteer. One year I had a toolcat to use to plow the lot. With a 2 speed skidsteer, 1 1/2 hour average. With a toolcat, 45 minutes. The newer ones are four wheel independent suspension. Give or take at a 1000 hours, it will need some ball joints or tierod ends. I wouldn't want an older soild axle unit, bigger pain in the butt to work on units. Newer ones are better, but have their challenges. At the end of the day, a toolcat will either fit your needs great or not be that useful at all. Remember these are not gators. About the size of a classic regular cab S10. 66 hp diesel. 4 wheel drive, steering, independent suspension. 27 gpm high flow. 1500 lbs lift capacity, about 7' lift height. Heat and A/C cab, radio optional.
I think they are a more versatile machine when trying to combine the obvious utilities of a skid steer & a gator type utility / off-road machine. I think that a skid steer is more suited for all day lifting / lowing / digging applications for obvious reasons of design. Besides being lighter duty, I think they are very useful on a small farm or ranch. I would rather have a skid steer though.

OP
OP
G

GILL

I think they are a more versatile machine when trying to combine the obvious utilities of a skid steer & a gator type utility / off-road machine. I think that a skid steer is more suited for all day lifting / lowing / digging applications for obvious reasons of design. Besides being lighter duty, I think they are very useful on a small farm or ranch. I would rather have a skid steer though.
I would be using this around my place for snow removal, landscaping spreading dirt and rock etc. The problem I see is the manuverability inside of my shed. I don't think it will let me do what I want. I feel I can buy a skidsteer a whole lot cheaper. Used Toolcats around here are 22K or more. A lot of skidloaders with 50hp are going in the range of $12K. I was really more curious than anything. Thanks all, Greg

Bobcatdan

I would be using this around my place for snow removal, landscaping spreading dirt and rock etc. The problem I see is the manuverability inside of my shed. I don't think it will let me do what I want. I feel I can buy a skidsteer a whole lot cheaper. Used Toolcats around here are 22K or more. A lot of skidloaders with 50hp are going in the range of $12K. I was really more curious than anything. Thanks all, Greg
In 4ws, they are very maneuverable. Yeah they can't spin on a dime like a skidsteer, but make normal UTVs look like the QE2 turning around. Toolcat are popular with Municipalities, airports, collage or ccorporate campus and parking complex. Private owned ones are normally rich guy toys. Mike McCarthy, the Packers head coach just bought one after seeing the Packers two toolcat running around Lambeau.

donald r can

In 4ws, they are very maneuverable. Yeah they can't spin on a dime like a skidsteer, but make normal UTVs look like the QE2 turning around. Toolcat are popular with Municipalities, airports, collage or ccorporate campus and parking complex. Private owned ones are normally rich guy toys. Mike McCarthy, the Packers head coach just bought one after seeing the Packers two toolcat running around Lambeau.
I worked at an estate and I was completely impressed at what it could do,he put chains on it and its unstoppable for snow removeal,id own one if I could afford it

rodbuilder

I bought a snow blower from a guy who had one of those and he hated it. He said it wouldn't lift diddly squat because the rear end was too light. What I saw that I didn't like, was it didn't have much of a reach on the bucket arm. They're kinda crazy-priced, as far as I'm concerned? For $25,000 I can buy a decent, used, front end loader!!!!

rodbuilder

To Bobcatdan - According to the prices I see you quoting here you ought to be able to get one for around $3000-$4000 or so!!!!

Bobcatdan

To Bobcatdan - According to the prices I see you quoting here you ought to be able to get one for around $3000-$4000 or so!!!!
Toolcat are a niche market machine. Not a replacement for a skidsteer, but for some applications, a better fit. They are rated to lift 1500 lbs, which they will easily. Yeah they don't lift real high, but they arn't made to pile dirt. They are a tool carrier. If miss sold for the wrong application, they are not the best, but in the right use, many guys would give up their left nut before their toolcat.

SkidRoe

Toolcat are a niche market machine. Not a replacement for a skidsteer, but for some applications, a better fit. They are rated to lift 1500 lbs, which they will easily. Yeah they don't lift real high, but they arn't made to pile dirt. They are a tool carrier. If miss sold for the wrong application, they are not the best, but in the right use, many guys would give up their left nut before their toolcat.
Hey BCD - Do you know somebody who is looking for a gently used left nut in exchange for a toolcat?? I am not using mine anymore, and a toolcat would be kind of handy.... ;-)

Bobcatdan

Hey BCD - Do you know somebody who is looking for a gently used left nut in exchange for a toolcat?? I am not using mine anymore, and a toolcat would be kind of handy.... ;-)
My dumbass just agreed to put an alternator in one. The last generation with a Kubota, they shoehorn the engine in so tight, propper way is to remove the cab. I don't have that ability so I'm going to try cursing it out. Don't know if removing the turbo, exhaust manifold and thermostat housing is going to do it. As for used ones, I don't know of any. A former co worker got an older high hour one for $6000. It ran and moved, but I guess it still needed a bit of work. Never saw it, but I hear it was a good winter project.

Bobcatdan

My dumbass just agreed to put an alternator in one. The last generation with a Kubota, they shoehorn the engine in so tight, propper way is to remove the cab. I don't have that ability so I'm going to try cursing it out. Don't know if removing the turbo, exhaust manifold and thermostat housing is going to do it. As for used ones, I don't know of any. A former co worker got an older high hour one for $6000. It ran and moved, but I guess it still needed a bit of work. Never saw it, but I hear it was a good winter project.
Not as bad as I thought. Love it when a plan works. 2 1/2 hours and the alternator is on the bench. I see assembly going slower as starting many bolts will suck.. I think 3 1/2 hours back together so 6 hours total so $300 labor. $200 or so for the alternator and whatever gaskets will cost, customer seems happy so far.