Tool Review

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fishfiles

Would a tool review be a good topic , I got a new tool for Christmas , my Girl friend is super , she seen I had been looking at a Craftsman Twin Cutter saw and she got it for me , today was the first time I got to use it , it is awsome , it's got two 6 1/2 inch carbide blades that spin opposite of each other and is built like a side grinder I was building a shelf to hold part bins , and cuttting 16" sheetmetal panels about 1/8" thick as smooths as silk , no vibration or kick back , straight smooth cut with no grinder dressing up needed ------- I also used to fab up an aluminum boat bracket and cutting aluminum is like it ain't even there , it worked well to put a gouge at the joint to be welded , and can be used like a grinder to cut down and shape the material ------------------another useful tool I got recently is the Fien MultiTool , it looks like a side grinder and has an osculating shaft that holds saw blades , sanding attachmets , cutter blades/scrapers and rasp/file heads , the flat cutter blade then the sander is the most unbelievable gasket remover I have ever seen , the saw blades cut steel very well in tight spots but they are expensive , even e bay is no deal on blades ---------------the bottom as fallen out of work , things are slowing down big time giving alot of time to do things that never get down

Tazza

Staff member
I'd like to see piccies of this new toy of yours!
I don't dare list what i have and how handy they all are, i'd be here typing for days on end.

OldMachinist

I don't dare list what i have and how handy they all are, i'd be here typing for days on end.
When my woman see's me looking at tools she says "tools don't you have enough tools". All I can say is until I have at least one of every tool made I'll never have enough. I'm retired but spend at least 6 to 8 hours every day in my shop fixing or making things and if there's a tool that makes what I'm doing easier I buy it. Well gotta go I've got a shaft in the lathe waiting for me to setup the toolpost grinder and regrind the bearing races that I welded up yesterday.

perry

When my woman see's me looking at tools she says "tools don't you have enough tools". All I can say is until I have at least one of every tool made I'll never have enough. I'm retired but spend at least 6 to 8 hours every day in my shop fixing or making things and if there's a tool that makes what I'm doing easier I buy it. Well gotta go I've got a shaft in the lathe waiting for me to setup the toolpost grinder and regrind the bearing races that I welded up yesterday.
A friend has this saw and it works great, he cut a nice straight 3'' solid steel rod like it was butter. You may find them a little more reasonable elsewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Evolution-Rapto...p-Saw-NEW_W0QQitemZ220115560260QQcmdZViewItem

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

Tazza , I have yet to figure out the picture upload on this site yet , I got my Grandfathers on both sides , my dad's and 50 years of collecting tools , lost a bunch to the flood but gained a few more , Old Machinist , I love tools too , you can never have enough tools because there is always something new , Perry , I got one of those 14 inch chop saws and a 6 inch with the carbide blades on them , like it better than the abrasive blades , the 6 inch is perfect for holding and cutting the hydraulic hoses -----------------here is a good true tool story of the best tool , a guy I worked with name Roger and I flew out to an oil platform in the Gulf to install a new Unit Mariner hydraulic crane onto the structure , we had a boat in route with a gang box of hevy tools and carried a hand box each , the crane on the stuctur already was having problems and the crew there was working on it and the Production Foreman ask us to look at it while we waited on the boats , Roger opened his tool box in front of the foreman and he made a comment , and very rightly so I thought as Rogers tool box was a box of junk , no name brands and very little of anything in very rusted and worn out condition , the foreman made a comment like " I am paying 3 mill . for this crane and thats the best box they can send you out here with " , Rog told him , " the hand box is mine not the companies , if you wanted a $25 mechanic with a $2,500 box of tools you should have asked for it , you got a 2.5 mill.mechanic with a $25 tool box , which would you rather , the best tool I am carring is in here " and he pointed to his head , we set the crane and load tested it way in front of time and the foreman was very happy , we camped out on the platform for two days and watched TV and ate while clocking around the clock , I loved working in the Gulf and hated it at the same time ---------------------moral I learned that day is the best tool in your box is your imagination , going out for a "walk about" , see you later

thetool

Tazza , I have yet to figure out the picture upload on this site yet , I got my Grandfathers on both sides , my dad's and 50 years of collecting tools , lost a bunch to the flood but gained a few more , Old Machinist , I love tools too , you can never have enough tools because there is always something new , Perry , I got one of those 14 inch chop saws and a 6 inch with the carbide blades on them , like it better than the abrasive blades , the 6 inch is perfect for holding and cutting the hydraulic hoses -----------------here is a good true tool story of the best tool , a guy I worked with name Roger and I flew out to an oil platform in the Gulf to install a new Unit Mariner hydraulic crane onto the structure , we had a boat in route with a gang box of hevy tools and carried a hand box each , the crane on the stuctur already was having problems and the crew there was working on it and the Production Foreman ask us to look at it while we waited on the boats , Roger opened his tool box in front of the foreman and he made a comment , and very rightly so I thought as Rogers tool box was a box of junk , no name brands and very little of anything in very rusted and worn out condition , the foreman made a comment like " I am paying 3 mill . for this crane and thats the best box they can send you out here with " , Rog told him , " the hand box is mine not the companies , if you wanted a $25 mechanic with a $2,500 box of tools you should have asked for it , you got a 2.5 mill.mechanic with a $25 tool box , which would you rather , the best tool I am carring is in here " and he pointed to his head , we set the crane and load tested it way in front of time and the foreman was very happy , we camped out on the platform for two days and watched TV and ate while clocking around the clock , I loved working in the Gulf and hated it at the same time ---------------------moral I learned that day is the best tool in your box is your imagination , going out for a "walk about" , see you later
Most tools are cool. It's a guy thing, and a thing with a lot of wimmins, too.
My favorite tools are simple things that I made myself, that do a specific job, and no one has anything else that works.
But I like that carbide chop saw-had one at the Bobcat Shop, and it was handy. I'd like to see a pic of the saw fishfiles is talking about.
When I saw the heading of the thread I thought, "these guys are taking a vote to see if I shouldn't be told to pi$$ off."...........Bwahhahahahahahahahahah!

Tazza

Staff member
Most tools are cool. It's a guy thing, and a thing with a lot of wimmins, too.
My favorite tools are simple things that I made myself, that do a specific job, and no one has anything else that works.
But I like that carbide chop saw-had one at the Bobcat Shop, and it was handy. I'd like to see a pic of the saw fishfiles is talking about.
When I saw the heading of the thread I thought, "these guys are taking a vote to see if I shouldn't be told to pi$$ off."...........Bwahhahahahahahahahahah!
I looked at one of those chop saws but was told don't get one. This was a friend of ours that owned a saw shapening shop. I use a band saw with bi-metal blades, works a treat. I do have a chop saw but with abrasive wheels. They work great on RHS, angle etc but large solid bar isn't so easy, it sort of sits there on a molten pool of metal and won't cut.
If you have problems uplodaing piccies, send them to Ken or myself, we will upload them for you :)

skidsteer.ca

I looked at one of those chop saws but was told don't get one. This was a friend of ours that owned a saw shapening shop. I use a band saw with bi-metal blades, works a treat. I do have a chop saw but with abrasive wheels. They work great on RHS, angle etc but large solid bar isn't so easy, it sort of sits there on a molten pool of metal and won't cut.
If you have problems uplodaing piccies, send them to Ken or myself, we will upload them for you :)
Too many tools... whats that mean?!!??!, thats like too much fun, a girl too pretty, a car too fast.... We'll have to call Daryl and get the song re-wrote.
When ever I hear that I just take her to the drawer with 50 tupperware bowls in about 3 sizes.... and her closet, which for some reason is spilling into mine. Wonder if I can store the gear oil pump pail in the kitchen........;)
Ken

perry

Too many tools... whats that mean?!!??!, thats like too much fun, a girl too pretty, a car too fast.... We'll have to call Daryl and get the song re-wrote.
When ever I hear that I just take her to the drawer with 50 tupperware bowls in about 3 sizes.... and her closet, which for some reason is spilling into mine. Wonder if I can store the gear oil pump pail in the kitchen........;)
Ken
Tazza, I don't believe the metal chop saw blade can be sharpened, as I understand the chop saw blade will do about 200 cuts and they cost about $100. From my personal experience, that's no too bad.

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00925574000P?vName=Tools Above is a link to the twin cutter saw page , under the picture of the saw is a product video button , hit thebutton and get a demo , the saw was on sale for $109 and normal cost $169 , the blades are $34 pr set
http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/us/en/main/
above loink to fein Multimaster , Rockwell builds the same saw cheaper

Land-Tech

http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/us/en/main/
above loink to fein Multimaster , Rockwell builds the same saw cheaper
I have a 14" carbide chop saw and it is truly a great thing. The first lesson was not to cut through any welds or stress the blade. I just finished building a snow plow and I' m sure I had over 200 cuts on the blade before I started and maybe a 100 more before I was through and it still cuts fine. On my wish list is what you got Fishfiles, glad to hear a good review.Scott

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

I have a 14" carbide chop saw and it is truly a great thing. The first lesson was not to cut through any welds or stress the blade. I just finished building a snow plow and I' m sure I had over 200 cuts on the blade before I started and maybe a 100 more before I was through and it still cuts fine. On my wish list is what you got Fishfiles, glad to hear a good review.Scott
http://www.drilldoctor.com/product.asp?specific=139 Another tool which I used yesterday and I do recomend is the drill doctor 750 , it sharpens drill bits fast and easy with a perfect edge every time , you see them on late night tv all the time with a 1/2 tv paid programming commerical -------yesterday I was building a steel storage cabinet with draws and had to drill a few holes in side of the box using a right angle drill and a short bit , I didn't have the right size short bit I need so I broke a drill bit in half and sharpened the broke end in about 2 minutes and was able to push it right thru , then I sharpened the fractured end of the broke off tip of the drill and made a double ended jobber bit out of it , good tool ---------Scott , my buddy fabs up concrete pilings and cuts 2 1/2 id square tubing with 1/4 walls with the 14 chop saw using the metal carbide blade and he tells me he makes 30 cuts on just that every day 5 days a week plus other cuts around the shop and has been using the same blade for 6 months , he says he burned up the first blade fast but learned not to push it too hard and he puts wax on the blade , which saw is on your wish list , the twin cutter ?

Land-Tech

http://www.drilldoctor.com/product.asp?specific=139 Another tool which I used yesterday and I do recomend is the drill doctor 750 , it sharpens drill bits fast and easy with a perfect edge every time , you see them on late night tv all the time with a 1/2 tv paid programming commerical -------yesterday I was building a steel storage cabinet with draws and had to drill a few holes in side of the box using a right angle drill and a short bit , I didn't have the right size short bit I need so I broke a drill bit in half and sharpened the broke end in about 2 minutes and was able to push it right thru , then I sharpened the fractured end of the broke off tip of the drill and made a double ended jobber bit out of it , good tool ---------Scott , my buddy fabs up concrete pilings and cuts 2 1/2 id square tubing with 1/4 walls with the 14 chop saw using the metal carbide blade and he tells me he makes 30 cuts on just that every day 5 days a week plus other cuts around the shop and has been using the same blade for 6 months , he says he burned up the first blade fast but learned not to push it too hard and he puts wax on the blade , which saw is on your wish list , the twin cutter ?
The twin cutter is what what I want. The wax idea is something I didn't think about and will try. What sold me on the hatachi saw was that the metal company that I buy metal from was using it instead of there big carbide saw to cut lengths for customers. It cuts cold and no hot sparks, still throws a lot of dangerous chips. It's really increased the speed of my fab jobs.The first metal I cut 3/4'x4" hinge tabs for a lift gate on a truck I have.After the first cut ,I just said Wow. scott

Tazza

Staff member
The twin cutter is what what I want. The wax idea is something I didn't think about and will try. What sold me on the hatachi saw was that the metal company that I buy metal from was using it instead of there big carbide saw to cut lengths for customers. It cuts cold and no hot sparks, still throws a lot of dangerous chips. It's really increased the speed of my fab jobs.The first metal I cut 3/4'x4" hinge tabs for a lift gate on a truck I have.After the first cut ,I just said Wow. scott
I'd love one, my band saw does a pretty good job, its a little slow but does a fine job though. The thing i love about it is i can set up a cut and walk away, come back and its done. I don't need the be there operating the saw as such. For speed i agree the chop saw is much better.

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

I'd love one, my band saw does a pretty good job, its a little slow but does a fine job though. The thing i love about it is i can set up a cut and walk away, come back and its done. I don't need the be there operating the saw as such. For speed i agree the chop saw is much better.
I got a new toy to play with and need some suggestions to get it tweaked out , I got a small 15 lb cabinet abrasive blaster , it was used and I cleaned it and got it going , it's loaded up with 70 grit aluminum oxide and after about 5 minutes of spitting out really well it will slow down , the abrasive grit gets hung up all around the sides and doesn't slide back down to the pickup tube , I hit the sides with a rubber hammer and it all falls back down to the bottom , I am thnking a minature air or electric vibratory on the bottom of the box to shake it down , any thoughts short of keep hitting it with the hammer

thetool

I got a new toy to play with and need some suggestions to get it tweaked out , I got a small 15 lb cabinet abrasive blaster , it was used and I cleaned it and got it going , it's loaded up with 70 grit aluminum oxide and after about 5 minutes of spitting out really well it will slow down , the abrasive grit gets hung up all around the sides and doesn't slide back down to the pickup tube , I hit the sides with a rubber hammer and it all falls back down to the bottom , I am thnking a minature air or electric vibratory on the bottom of the box to shake it down , any thoughts short of keep hitting it with the hammer
Hey fishfiles cool!
Could it be that your air needs to be SUPER dry? Is it just slight moisture buildup causing that stuff to stick, and you need some kind of high flow super-duper air dryer like a plasma cutter?
just a thought

Tazza

Staff member
Hey fishfiles cool!
Could it be that your air needs to be SUPER dry? Is it just slight moisture buildup causing that stuff to stick, and you need some kind of high flow super-duper air dryer like a plasma cutter?
just a thought
I was thinking the exact same thing. Ensure your air is super dry, i get away with a little moisture with mine as the flow is enormous and its gravity fed with a pressure pot. Keep the air and media as dry as possible.

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

I was thinking the exact same thing. Ensure your air is super dry, i get away with a little moisture with mine as the flow is enormous and its gravity fed with a pressure pot. Keep the air and media as dry as possible.
I didn't think it's water as I have a water seperator and never get any water in it ----------I came up with a temporary fix , I bungie corded a 1/3 sheet sander ( with no paper ) to the bottom back of the cabinet and it is doing the job to keep it shaken down , I don't why I never had a blast box sooner in life ---------another blasting tool I picked up is a hand held pistol looking thing called a spot blaster that has a bag on the bottom full of grit and rubber nozzzles that only blast a controllled area , Sears has one called the Vacula that I had been looking at , while at the harbor freight store the other day they had one like it for $9.99 , they do make cheap stuff but i gave it a try , from what I wanted it for it works great , I have a aluminum utillity trailer that I am refinshng and there are a couple of hundred screws that hold the panels together that are steel , they are rusted nd need to be cleaned before painting , I did about 50 in 10 minutes , put the nozzle over the screw and about 15 seconds and it looks new and only does the screw and not the surrounding area