to paint or not to paitn. that is the question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dougk

I picked up a S185 for a very good price. The paint is a little rough. Ok the cab and back doors need to be repainted and the arms are scraped up pretty good. So do I paint or not? Does anyone have have before and after pictures? Is using the spray cans the best or should I use the air gun? What is the best technique to prep for painting? thanks Doug

Tazza

Staff member
It all depends on how far you want to go. Sure, a good coat of paint will make it look pretty, but to do it right will take a lot of time and effort. A quick paint job will look like a quick paint job. I'd always recommend using a spray gun and not spray cans.
My prep involved sand blasting and etch primer with a top coat of two pack. It took a lot of work, but looked really good, untill it got its first scratch *wipes away tear* the first is always the worst.

Chandler

It all depends on how far you want to go. Sure, a good coat of paint will make it look pretty, but to do it right will take a lot of time and effort. A quick paint job will look like a quick paint job. I'd always recommend using a spray gun and not spray cans.
My prep involved sand blasting and etch primer with a top coat of two pack. It took a lot of work, but looked really good, untill it got its first scratch *wipes away tear* the first is always the worst.
Tazza is right. The paint on my 773 was rough when I got it. I didn't have to think twice about it. I sandblasted the worst places and sanded the rest. Got Bobcat white in the premixed cans and sprayed it on with my spray gun. Also put on new decals. It was well worth it. Now, I just try to touch it up every once in a while. It makes it look good and keeps the rust from forming. It all depends on what you want to do.

Latest posts