Tires for farm use: which is best tubless or tube tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stephend

I am in need of replacing the tires that are currently on my 751 Bobcat. I have foamed filled tires but I want to get away them due to cost, ride, and the added weight. The majority of the time I use the Cat with tree shear to cut cedars and other trees. Questions: 1. What ply tire would be best for this operation? 2. Would a tube-less tire with green slime work best, that is- would it prevent most small leaks and could a larger leak still be plugged? 3. Would a tube-less tire without green slime work okay? 4. Would a tube tire with liner between the tube and tire work best? 5. Can you use green slime in tube tire. 6. What tread design works best for this type of application? Thank you in advance for your time. Stephen in Oklahoma

SkidRoe

I won't be able to answer all of your questions, but anyway:
The rims on your 751 are designed to be tubeless. Providing the rims are in good shape, there is no advantage to running tubes. Small punctures can be fixed with plugs, but patching from the inside is best. Since your current tires are foam filled, you will likely be into a set of rims, as well.
IMHO - I do not consider slime to be a permanent fix, just something to allow you to carry on before fixing it properly.
If traction is your biggest concern, you may want to consider OTT's. These will provide the best traction, flotation, and some tire protection. The downside is weight and cost.
Otherwise, you should stick to an R-4 tread pattern. It is about the best available at present.
FWIW

Mikefromcny

I won't be able to answer all of your questions, but anyway:
The rims on your 751 are designed to be tubeless. Providing the rims are in good shape, there is no advantage to running tubes. Small punctures can be fixed with plugs, but patching from the inside is best. Since your current tires are foam filled, you will likely be into a set of rims, as well.
IMHO - I do not consider slime to be a permanent fix, just something to allow you to carry on before fixing it properly.
If traction is your biggest concern, you may want to consider OTT's. These will provide the best traction, flotation, and some tire protection. The downside is weight and cost.
Otherwise, you should stick to an R-4 tread pattern. It is about the best available at present.
FWIW
Tubeless all the way, with slime. Slime in tires "fix" themselves most of the time and you dont even know it. Running over nails and generally anything under .25" the slime will take care of. On my 743, it came with bald tires, couldnt afford new ones so bought some used, dry rotted carlisle ones from a buddy for $50. They leaked through the tires and would slowly lose air. Slimed them and problem solved!

Bobcatdan

Tubeless all the way, with slime. Slime in tires "fix" themselves most of the time and you dont even know it. Running over nails and generally anything under .25" the slime will take care of. On my 743, it came with bald tires, couldnt afford new ones so bought some used, dry rotted carlisle ones from a buddy for $50. They leaked through the tires and would slowly lose air. Slimed them and problem solved!
Your flat out cheapest option is to get recap foam filled. For your size it should come to around $200 to $250 a tire. You just give them your set and they give you another. You are looking at new tires and rims, or a healthy labor bill to cut the old one off. If you really hate the foam fill, lighest tire I would go is 8 ply but perfer 10 ply. My dealership sells 10-16.5 bobcat heavy duty 10 plys for $150. We buy 300 at a time and get them cheap then 8 plys. I'm way to far to work with you, but check your local dealer, they maybe able to offer the same option. I would stay away from tubes, more of a pain in the butt then anything. I persaonlly do not like tire slime, never seen it actually work.