tire foam/fill???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

otisd85

so i bought a skidsteer this spring, and i have one tire that holds air, the other three like to leak. i talked to my local tire shop and he quoted me 6-800 bucks to foam fill my tires, they are a bit cut up but have good tread. i was just curious if there was a way i could fill the tires my self, ive been googleing it and searching forums to no avail. thanks in advanced for any advice. otis

Fishfiles

http://www.tracksandtires.com/tire-shield-flat-proofing.html
This place has a product that they claim works. Ask for a gaurantee and if they don't have one, fill your tires with "Slime". You can get slime at WalMart. It will seal small leaks but not the large ones.
Joe
I would never foam fill a tire that has been used , unless the tire had 10 or twenty hours on it as if you are going to pay the bucks to get it done you want to get the most out of your money so go new when you do it around here the cost is $1 per pound , a 10x16.5 takes right at 175 lbs , $175 per tire I am not totally sure of the price of the 12x16.5 but $225 comes to mind ------------ another thing to think of is if you start with 12 ply tires minimum and don't run the tires till threads are showing then the tire can be recapped with the foam still in it ------------------Toby Sextom Tire out of Atlanta puts something in the tires called " thin Air " much like Slime it fills the holes as they appear , one draw back is that if you do get a flat that needs patching a tireman doesn't want to mess with tires with Slime or such in them as it is a mess

jmatt20

I would never foam fill a tire that has been used , unless the tire had 10 or twenty hours on it as if you are going to pay the bucks to get it done you want to get the most out of your money so go new when you do it around here the cost is $1 per pound , a 10x16.5 takes right at 175 lbs , $175 per tire I am not totally sure of the price of the 12x16.5 but $225 comes to mind ------------ another thing to think of is if you start with 12 ply tires minimum and don't run the tires till threads are showing then the tire can be recapped with the foam still in it ------------------Toby Sextom Tire out of Atlanta puts something in the tires called " thin Air " much like Slime it fills the holes as they appear , one draw back is that if you do get a flat that needs patching a tireman doesn't want to mess with tires with Slime or such in them as it is a mess
i use a product that makes slime look like water ...this stuff has the consistency of pudding and has what looks like ground up tires in it ..if you are lucky it will plug a #3 rebar hole...I will get the brand name tomorrow when i'm at the shop if anyone is interested ..fishfiles is right though,it is a mess if you have to patch from the inside ,however between plugs and sealant i rarely have a leak that can't be fixed with the tire mounted.

OP
OP
O

otisd85

i use a product that makes slime look like water ...this stuff has the consistency of pudding and has what looks like ground up tires in it ..if you are lucky it will plug a #3 rebar hole...I will get the brand name tomorrow when i'm at the shop if anyone is interested ..fishfiles is right though,it is a mess if you have to patch from the inside ,however between plugs and sealant i rarely have a leak that can't be fixed with the tire mounted.
thanks for all the replies so far. tubes are out of the question, one of the main projects i bought the skidsteer for was tearing down an old barn and house on my property, so i will be surprised if i dont pick up at least a quarter million nails, and who knows what else. that tire shield looks interesting, i emailed them, ill let you know what the say. how much slime are you guys using in each tire? i would definitely be interested in what you are using jmatt20. as far as new tires, mine are not new but still have really good tread, and why not recap them when they ware out, if i do fill them with foam? it seems for not much more a guy could buy a set of them solid tires with the holes in the sides, as opposed to new heavy duty tires and then have them foam filled. im not sure what ill do yet, im still just weighing my options. thanks again for all the great ideas so far, keep 'em coming. otis

jmatt20

thanks for all the replies so far. tubes are out of the question, one of the main projects i bought the skidsteer for was tearing down an old barn and house on my property, so i will be surprised if i dont pick up at least a quarter million nails, and who knows what else. that tire shield looks interesting, i emailed them, ill let you know what the say. how much slime are you guys using in each tire? i would definitely be interested in what you are using jmatt20. as far as new tires, mine are not new but still have really good tread, and why not recap them when they ware out, if i do fill them with foam? it seems for not much more a guy could buy a set of them solid tires with the holes in the sides, as opposed to new heavy duty tires and then have them foam filled. im not sure what ill do yet, im still just weighing my options. thanks again for all the great ideas so far, keep 'em coming. otis
otis i think the thing is you can't recap after you foam fill. I may be wrong but i believe you have to cut the tires off after you foam fill ,i seem to remember some guys saying they throw away the tire and rim and get new rims when they wear out the tires ...not worth the work to save the rims...i have demo'd some buildings and do quite a bit of concrete removal ,not spinning your tires unnecessarily and a good plug kit will keep you running ..tubes are a problem ..if you get a nail you have to break down the tire you can't use a plug ..

jerry

otis i think the thing is you can't recap after you foam fill. I may be wrong but i believe you have to cut the tires off after you foam fill ,i seem to remember some guys saying they throw away the tire and rim and get new rims when they wear out the tires ...not worth the work to save the rims...i have demo'd some buildings and do quite a bit of concrete removal ,not spinning your tires unnecessarily and a good plug kit will keep you running ..tubes are a problem ..if you get a nail you have to break down the tire you can't use a plug ..
jmatt, do you have the brand name of the stuff you use instead of slime? Please post if you do. thanks

Fishfiles

jmatt, do you have the brand name of the stuff you use instead of slime? Please post if you do. thanks
there is a company down here in New Orleans that will recap foam filled tires , but like I had already said it has to be at least a 12 ply tire to start with and no threads can be exposed or the cap will not stay stuck ----- I agree with throwing the rims away as I have watched and I have cut the tire off the rim with a recipicating saw and it really isn't worth the time and the blades compared to the price you can get new rims for ---------Thin Air is a name of a tire puncture proof material that is sprayed in the tire before mounting it , but I really don't think it is something you can apply yourself , and think you have to have it installed by a dealer who is equipped with the sprayer when the tire is purchased

jmatt20

there is a company down here in New Orleans that will recap foam filled tires , but like I had already said it has to be at least a 12 ply tire to start with and no threads can be exposed or the cap will not stay stuck ----- I agree with throwing the rims away as I have watched and I have cut the tire off the rim with a recipicating saw and it really isn't worth the time and the blades compared to the price you can get new rims for ---------Thin Air is a name of a tire puncture proof material that is sprayed in the tire before mounting it , but I really don't think it is something you can apply yourself , and think you have to have it installed by a dealer who is equipped with the sprayer when the tire is purchased
tire sealant is rock-n-road formula tc-41.took a while for me to find them on the web..i buy locally . enforce products has it , located in CA. my local cost is about 60$ for 5 gal container..i use black jack tire plug kits for my plugging ..this combo usually get me thru a set of tires all the way down to the cords ...

skidsteer.ca

tire sealant is rock-n-road formula tc-41.took a while for me to find them on the web..i buy locally . enforce products has it , located in CA. my local cost is about 60$ for 5 gal container..i use black jack tire plug kits for my plugging ..this combo usually get me thru a set of tires all the way down to the cords ...
Slime? about a quart in a 10 16.5
If you find a nail, drop the tire pressue done before you pull it out i you can, otherwise 3/4 of the slime will blow out before it chokes the hole up. Been happy with the stuff, though interested if there is something better.
Agree with new rubber if your foam filling as the tire is cheaper then the foam job.
Ken

OP
OP
O

otisd85

Slime? about a quart in a 10 16.5
If you find a nail, drop the tire pressue done before you pull it out i you can, otherwise 3/4 of the slime will blow out before it chokes the hole up. Been happy with the stuff, though interested if there is something better.
Agree with new rubber if your foam filling as the tire is cheaper then the foam job.
Ken
i got an quote from tracksandtires.com about tire shield, they want 150 for a 5 gallon bucket(thats the only size they sell), 50 bucks for the pump, and 48 bucks shipping. they said 5gal will treat 8 tires, but didnt say anything about a warranty. http://www.enforceproducts.com/tc-41.php is a link i found for this product the cheapest i found it online was 42.99 on amazon. to the guys running slime, are you using the original slime, or slimepro? with any tire sealant product, is there a benefit to removing nails rather than leaving them in to help seal the hole? i can definitely see the benefit in tire sealant over foam as far as price, and i understand sealant will only help prevent leaks/flats, and foam will eliminate them. as for my price range, i think i will go with the sealant and plug method for now, although im going to have to do some more research on the products available. as for foam filled tires, are there any pros/cons to buying new tires and rims and having them foam filled, as opposed to the airless tires? it seems to be close to the same price range either way. i guess maybe that question should be a whole new thread. thanks again for all the input, it will be a huge help in the decision process. more options always help making decisions easier, right?

OP
OP
O

otisd85

i got an quote from tracksandtires.com about tire shield, they want 150 for a 5 gallon bucket(thats the only size they sell), 50 bucks for the pump, and 48 bucks shipping. they said 5gal will treat 8 tires, but didnt say anything about a warranty. http://www.enforceproducts.com/tc-41.php is a link i found for this product the cheapest i found it online was 42.99 on amazon. to the guys running slime, are you using the original slime, or slimepro? with any tire sealant product, is there a benefit to removing nails rather than leaving them in to help seal the hole? i can definitely see the benefit in tire sealant over foam as far as price, and i understand sealant will only help prevent leaks/flats, and foam will eliminate them. as for my price range, i think i will go with the sealant and plug method for now, although im going to have to do some more research on the products available. as for foam filled tires, are there any pros/cons to buying new tires and rims and having them foam filled, as opposed to the airless tires? it seems to be close to the same price range either way. i guess maybe that question should be a whole new thread. thanks again for all the input, it will be a huge help in the decision process. more options always help making decisions easier, right?
the info i posted about the fibrouseal tc-41 on amazon was incorrect, sorry that was a different product all together. i did find it a few other places though, http://www.tpmsoutlet.com/tc41-7.aspx and http://priertiresupply.biz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_83 , i know the link in my last post did work, and i dont know why, but you can just copy and paste into your address bar, or google. sorry again for the missinformation.

OP
OP
O

otisd85

the info i posted about the fibrouseal tc-41 on amazon was incorrect, sorry that was a different product all together. i did find it a few other places though, http://www.tpmsoutlet.com/tc41-7.aspx and http://priertiresupply.biz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_83 , i know the link in my last post did work, and i dont know why, but you can just copy and paste into your address bar, or google. sorry again for the missinformation.
correcting myself again, i know the links DID NOT work, sorry.

jmatt20

correcting myself again, i know the links DID NOT work, sorry.
just got off the phone with my tire guy ..u.s tire and equipment 619 588 1225..he can still get" rock n road" he can ship... also carries full line of tire repair supplies including plug kits.located in El Cajon CA. ..shipping is a bit pricy because it weighs 40 plus pounds but you can call for pricing.. in my humble opinion this is twicw the product that slime is ..btw never used the pump to install ,i have always installed when mounting tires ..you can remove the tire from the machine pop the bead on one side and pour it in and re inflate