Tilt cylinder on bob-tach question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

calypso428

I have noticed that when I move whichever attachment I have connected to the bob-tach by hand , I have a little bit of play where the tilt cylinder attaches to the back of it at the end of the hydraulic arm . Is this normal ? Is there supposed to be a bushing around the connecting pin that could be damaged or missing ? Im not having any problem but I just want to head off any possible damage that could happen down the road .

Thanks.

SkidRoe

This does tend to be a high wear area. It may or may not have a bushing, depending on the model. Mine was not bushed, and wore both the rod end and the bobtach. I ended up boring out the rod end, installing a bushing, and making an oversized pin to take up the slop. It was along way from failing completely, but I wanted to fix it on my own terms.

OP
OP
C

calypso428

This does tend to be a high wear area. It may or may not have a bushing, depending on the model. Mine was not bushed, and wore both the rod end and the bobtach. I ended up boring out the rod end, installing a bushing, and making an oversized pin to take up the slop. It was along way from failing completely, but I wanted to fix it on my own terms.
I have a 743 model ... I looked in the master manual and it doesn't seem to have any sort of bushing according to it ... Just a pin and what looks like some rubber gaskets on each side of the pin. Its got about 1/8-1/4 inch of movement (slop) I finally got some grease thru the fittings into this joint looks like it hadn't been greased since 1991 ....

Tazza

Staff member
I have a 743 model ... I looked in the master manual and it doesn't seem to have any sort of bushing according to it ... Just a pin and what looks like some rubber gaskets on each side of the pin. Its got about 1/8-1/4 inch of movement (slop) I finally got some grease thru the fittings into this joint looks like it hadn't been greased since 1991 ....
It's very common for them to wear here. A new pin may help, but it won't remove it all. Some rams had bushings, the newer ones did, the older didn't. The bits around the sides are to help keep dirt out.
You are lucky you only have a small amount of play, my S150 has a lot more. One of those jobs to get to when time allows.

SkidRoe

While the rubber seals were a nice gesture, there is no replacement for grease - and lots of it!! Not only does it lubicate the joint, it serves to flush dirt out of the area. I have to admit that this is one area where I am disappointed in Bobcat. This joint has too much angular movement to be solely a steel-on-steel bearing surface. I made my new bushings (all three Bobtach pivot points) out of oilite bronze. Even if they don't wear better, at least I can replace them.

Tazza

Staff member
While the rubber seals were a nice gesture, there is no replacement for grease - and lots of it!! Not only does it lubicate the joint, it serves to flush dirt out of the area. I have to admit that this is one area where I am disappointed in Bobcat. This joint has too much angular movement to be solely a steel-on-steel bearing surface. I made my new bushings (all three Bobtach pivot points) out of oilite bronze. Even if they don't wear better, at least I can replace them.
I hear ya Skidroe, it is a common wear point. Even the boss that the pin goes through seems to wear badly needing replacement or at least machining. I have done at least 4 on 743 style machines that involved grinding the old boss out and welding a new one in. I have line bored two of the newer ones to take sleeves to bring the holes back to the standard size.
We won't even talk about the lower pivot pins..... It's not bobcats fault here, but user neglect that allows the lower pins to make a horrible mess.