this is a new one

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

banewolf

well after all my years I thought this one id share.... I work as a road mechanic for bobcat and thought I should star sharing what people who don't know IF YOUR MACHINE MAKES ODD NOISES YOU SHOULD STOP AND FIGURE OUT WHY IT IS MAKING THOSE NOISES lol so I had a 763 customer says its making this crunching noise as it moves.... well I show up on site and before im even out of the truck I see the wheel moving FREELY side to side like the axel articulates..... OMG so I jacked it up have a look and noticed that I can move both axels in the rear up and down a full 5INCHES!!!!!..... so after removing the rear tires I saw that the axel itself had worn through the sleeve busted the race and ROCKS had made there way into the chain case INSIDE the machine.... I have pics but don't know how to upload them as of yet lol

Hotrod1830

That machine is scrap iron. Can't see it worth replacing the chaincase.
You would be suprised what I can fix.......... Think of it this way. The owner is facing the reality of having to scrap a $8-12K machine and pay to buy a new one. How much money in repair costs do you have to work with knowing that? There is nothing that can't be fixed. If there is nothing wrong with the rest of the machine, shoot him an idea and a price. You will be suprised. I personaly have successfully fixed machines with cracked axle tubes.....and they paid what I asked.

OP
OP
B

banewolf

You would be suprised what I can fix.......... Think of it this way. The owner is facing the reality of having to scrap a $8-12K machine and pay to buy a new one. How much money in repair costs do you have to work with knowing that? There is nothing that can't be fixed. If there is nothing wrong with the rest of the machine, shoot him an idea and a price. You will be suprised. I personaly have successfully fixed machines with cracked axle tubes.....and they paid what I asked.
lol and they are this is the second one but the worst one yet lol its cut off and a new tube welded in place new chains new new new lol ended up being about 9k in repairs all in all but the machine runs like new again lol looks like ill have another good one this afternoon lol ill keep up with pics and keep you informed as I get them.

Bobcatdan

lol and they are this is the second one but the worst one yet lol its cut off and a new tube welded in place new chains new new new lol ended up being about 9k in repairs all in all but the machine runs like new again lol looks like ill have another good one this afternoon lol ill keep up with pics and keep you informed as I get them.
Replacing one tube is one thing, but when you start talking multiple tubes, I'd go whole chaincase. Parts alone will exceed the machines worth. Park it and buy another machine and used the old one as parts.

Bobcatdan

Replacing one tube is one thing, but when you start talking multiple tubes, I'd go whole chaincase. Parts alone will exceed the machines worth. Park it and buy another machine and used the old one as parts.
How many hours is on the machine and were was it use, farm, construction, ect?

7LBSSMALLIE

How many hours is on the machine and were was it use, farm, construction, ect?
seen it many times used to just replace chain case. now I got a dude axel surgeons. been outstandining and 1/4 price of replace case. and yea goining to need brgs races chains etc but a blank chain case is stupid exsepnisve.

mmsllc

seen it many times used to just replace chain case. now I got a dude axel surgeons. been outstandining and 1/4 price of replace case. and yea goining to need brgs races chains etc but a blank chain case is stupid exsepnisve.
YUP!!! I've got the carcass / remains of a 763 that has ALL four axle tubes ruined. At least one axle rotates freely & I'm pretty D@MN sure that all of the axles are ruined too. I did not pay very much for that thing, but really needed a rear door, so I grabbed it up F@ST!!! I think it is such a shame to see people (who depend on these machines for their living), just let them fall completely apart. But, what can you do, RIGHT??? HIT THEM UP ON THE REPAIR COSTS!!!

Tazza

Staff member
YUP!!! I've got the carcass / remains of a 763 that has ALL four axle tubes ruined. At least one axle rotates freely & I'm pretty D@MN sure that all of the axles are ruined too. I did not pay very much for that thing, but really needed a rear door, so I grabbed it up F@ST!!! I think it is such a shame to see people (who depend on these machines for their living), just let them fall completely apart. But, what can you do, RIGHT??? HIT THEM UP ON THE REPAIR COSTS!!!
I can't believe someone can let it get that bad.
Anything can be repaired, for a price. If i wasn't relying on the machine to make money, i'd spend the time to weld new tubes in, but if it was a money making machine, every hour it's down, it's costing you money.
With that said, it was their own fault it got so bad.

mmsllc

I can't believe someone can let it get that bad.
Anything can be repaired, for a price. If i wasn't relying on the machine to make money, i'd spend the time to weld new tubes in, but if it was a money making machine, every hour it's down, it's costing you money.
With that said, it was their own fault it got so bad.
MONEY = how to spend it & how to save it? I think spending a little where need be beats spending a lot more; especially if there was previous warning. I think the true savings would have been to pay to have ALL of the wheel bearings & seals replaced much earlier on, instead of destroying a much higher dollar part / chain-case. The only question that comes to mind would be "will it cost more to replace the bearings & seals than what another machine would cost?? If it cost as much to repair it as it is worth, then continuing to make money with it is a good choice. If it would have only cost a $1,000, then they obviously chose incorrectly. On top of that, how much money did that machine make everyday that it was killing itself? Without knowing those few parameters, it is so very hard to say what the RIGHT thing to do was / is. (Then you would have to think / consider about how long it would take to repair it & the down time that would bring VERSUS buying another / operational machine.) ALL choices have consequences, I hope they knew that while destroying their machine. It really sounds like they " financially - totaled" that poor machine. Just imagine the cost of the chain-caser or having a welder replace the axle tubes.........I know my 763 axle tubes are DESTROYED & I would not pay anyone to replace them, nor would I spend the time to replace them, myself. It is too slippery to know exactly what to do at this point.

Tazza

Staff member
MONEY = how to spend it & how to save it? I think spending a little where need be beats spending a lot more; especially if there was previous warning. I think the true savings would have been to pay to have ALL of the wheel bearings & seals replaced much earlier on, instead of destroying a much higher dollar part / chain-case. The only question that comes to mind would be "will it cost more to replace the bearings & seals than what another machine would cost?? If it cost as much to repair it as it is worth, then continuing to make money with it is a good choice. If it would have only cost a $1,000, then they obviously chose incorrectly. On top of that, how much money did that machine make everyday that it was killing itself? Without knowing those few parameters, it is so very hard to say what the RIGHT thing to do was / is. (Then you would have to think / consider about how long it would take to repair it & the down time that would bring VERSUS buying another / operational machine.) ALL choices have consequences, I hope they knew that while destroying their machine. It really sounds like they " financially - totaled" that poor machine. Just imagine the cost of the chain-caser or having a welder replace the axle tubes.........I know my 763 axle tubes are DESTROYED & I would not pay anyone to replace them, nor would I spend the time to replace them, myself. It is too slippery to know exactly what to do at this point.
There was a member on heare a few years back that repaired i believe two axle tubes. They weren't as bad as this one sounded though.
He cut the tubes off about half way along, got new ends machined and used some half pieces of pipe to hold the tube straight and welded it together, i think he ven left the half pipe pieces on there as support to make it stronger. It worked very well, only worth it if you can do the work your self though. To get a shop to do the job would have been far too expensive.

mmsllc

There was a member on heare a few years back that repaired i believe two axle tubes. They weren't as bad as this one sounded though.
He cut the tubes off about half way along, got new ends machined and used some half pieces of pipe to hold the tube straight and welded it together, i think he ven left the half pipe pieces on there as support to make it stronger. It worked very well, only worth it if you can do the work your self though. To get a shop to do the job would have been far too expensive.
That proves that (almost) anything can be repaired. Then it becomes a question of cost & time required to complete the repair. Just think, "You can move a mountain; one rock at a time!"

Tazza

Staff member
That proves that (almost) anything can be repaired. Then it becomes a question of cost & time required to complete the repair. Just think, "You can move a mountain; one rock at a time!"
If you have the time and gear, there is no reason why not to give it a go, There are repairs that I'm sure I spend far too many hours on when I could have just spent the money and got a new one. Some times, ok more than sometimes, I discount my time far too much.

mmsllc

If you have the time and gear, there is no reason why not to give it a go, There are repairs that I'm sure I spend far too many hours on when I could have just spent the money and got a new one. Some times, ok more than sometimes, I discount my time far too much.
Yeah, I know what you are saying. I built a truck that cost me more than what I could have bought almost the same one for. I figure it like this, I win far more than I lose, so I am mainly ok with that. I personally might not give up on that machine, but I might find another chain case for it though. If I could not find one, I would try very hard to measure out the old one & find materials for the new axle tubes before I cut anything off / tried to repair it. I don't (usually) give up easily on almost anything. I work as a mechanic by trade & giving up seems worse than not fixing a "basket case of problems" machine; like the one mentioned above. These sort of problems are usually the end of the road for most people, like BOBCATDAN has said earlier = it just gets too expensive for them, plus they are without a machine while it is being repaired. I think that is the worst stinging part.

Tazza

Staff member
Yeah, I know what you are saying. I built a truck that cost me more than what I could have bought almost the same one for. I figure it like this, I win far more than I lose, so I am mainly ok with that. I personally might not give up on that machine, but I might find another chain case for it though. If I could not find one, I would try very hard to measure out the old one & find materials for the new axle tubes before I cut anything off / tried to repair it. I don't (usually) give up easily on almost anything. I work as a mechanic by trade & giving up seems worse than not fixing a "basket case of problems" machine; like the one mentioned above. These sort of problems are usually the end of the road for most people, like BOBCATDAN has said earlier = it just gets too expensive for them, plus they are without a machine while it is being repaired. I think that is the worst stinging part.
Spending more on a truck than you could have bought isn't always a bad thing, you built it how you wanted it and you know it was right.

mmsllc

Spending more on a truck than you could have bought isn't always a bad thing, you built it how you wanted it and you know it was right.
Very true. It was a GOOD build up. Almost everything is new, rebuilt, upgraded or over-built. I'm going to have to post a picture of it.