Terra-bites 18" track cleats for snow and ice

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

AKstace

I've been looking for something to help with traction on ice and snow. I'm pushing a lot of snow with a T200 with 18" tracks but I'm slipping like crazy because of the ice base here. Does anyone have experience with Terra-Bites, a track cleat sold here: http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/Skid_Steer_Track_Loader_Terra_Bites_p/tb-18.htm I'd sure appreciate your input if you've tried 'em or seen 'em used on snow and ice. They are spendy! Thanks in advance!

lesgawlik

I don't, but I called to find out details. About a month ago I was told by SSS that they don't have any, and they don't know whether they will get any more. That seemed all rather strange since the web site seemed to imply a sale because of the number of cleats left. According to the rep I spoke with, they are made in China and the supply is unreliable. I have been able to find them anywhere else, and I haven't seen anything like them elsewhere.

lesgawlik

I don't, but I called to find out details. About a month ago I was told by SSS that they don't have any, and they don't know whether they will get any more. That seemed all rather strange since the web site seemed to imply a sale because of the number of cleats left. According to the rep I spoke with, they are made in China and the supply is unreliable. I have been able to find them anywhere else, and I haven't seen anything like them elsewhere.
Should have been "not able to find them anywhere else..."

OP
OP
A

AKstace

Should have been "not able to find them anywhere else..."
Yeah, it's a bit sketchy. I wish I could find some reviews somewhere. SSS says they have 8 sets in stock right now. Here's the answer I got from them yesterday. Guess I'll have to wait til 2013 to see if the new ones are better. There's no way I'd order them if they can't guarantee the fit.

I am not sure that the T200 is the same frame as the T250. If it is, then they will fit. 36 units are only recommended for deep mud as the ride will be extremely rough otherwise. 54 is required for hard pack or snow or just light mud. We are down to 8 sets for this season. If the current ones do not fit, the new series available in 2013 will work as they are thinner and will have more clearance.

lesgawlik

Yeah, it's a bit sketchy. I wish I could find some reviews somewhere. SSS says they have 8 sets in stock right now. Here's the answer I got from them yesterday. Guess I'll have to wait til 2013 to see if the new ones are better. There's no way I'd order them if they can't guarantee the fit.

I am not sure that the T200 is the same frame as the T250. If it is, then they will fit. 36 units are only recommended for deep mud as the ride will be extremely rough otherwise. 54 is required for hard pack or snow or just light mud. We are down to 8 sets for this season. If the current ones do not fit, the new series available in 2013 will work as they are thinner and will have more clearance.
It looks like 3 grand for anything other than deep mud. The ride in my T200 is not exactly smooth to begin with, when they say that the ride would be made much worse without using 54 cleats is worrisome. I also don't know why they say tracked machines were useless in the mud. My machine does extraordinarily well in the mud. I've been stuck once so far, and that was because a nosed down a hill into knee deep clay mud, and I bottomed out. Other than that, I haven't had serious problems, and we've had more rain in the last six months than I've ever seen. My project is still a sea of mud. I might see if they would sell me one. I have a tough time thinking that the cleats would not damage the tracks.

K-dawg

It looks like 3 grand for anything other than deep mud. The ride in my T200 is not exactly smooth to begin with, when they say that the ride would be made much worse without using 54 cleats is worrisome. I also don't know why they say tracked machines were useless in the mud. My machine does extraordinarily well in the mud. I've been stuck once so far, and that was because a nosed down a hill into knee deep clay mud, and I bottomed out. Other than that, I haven't had serious problems, and we've had more rain in the last six months than I've ever seen. My project is still a sea of mud. I might see if they would sell me one. I have a tough time thinking that the cleats would not damage the tracks.
I see this is an old post but for anyone who is curious .... I have a set of these "terra-bites " for my T-320 . I used them on one job so far . They give you insane traction but are best used off road . I destroyed the pavement by turning 180 to load on to trailer . They left 3/8" gouges in the spot where I loaded , that's on ice& snow covered asphalt . Good points - awesome traction , climb anything , makes machine usable on slopes in winter. Bad points - rough ride , noisy , hard on tracks , adds about 1000lbs + to machine .

K-dawg

I see this is an old post but for anyone who is curious .... I have a set of these "terra-bites " for my T-320 . I used them on one job so far . They give you insane traction but are best used off road . I destroyed the pavement by turning 180 to load on to trailer . They left 3/8" gouges in the spot where I loaded , that's on ice& snow covered asphalt . Good points - awesome traction , climb anything , makes machine usable on slopes in winter. Bad points - rough ride , noisy , hard on tracks , adds about 1000lbs + to machine .
Also forgot to mention - they increase the track width so the machine barely fits between the fenders on most equipment / car hauler type tailers . I found that out the hard way when loading for the first time . One cleat caught the fender and opened it up like a can opener .