T770, coolant pouring out of the muffler

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Drock707

Hello, new here. I have a 2018 t770 and I noticed steam coming from the engine bay. With the engine running there is coolant pouring out the seams on the muffler inside the engine bay. Never had any issues until now. I'm hoping for some insight as to what it could be and what I should look for and take apart. Video below. Thanks

Attachments

• 20230406_104830.mp4
    14.7 MB

brdgbldr

Hello, new here. I have a 2018 t770 and I noticed steam coming from the engine bay. With the engine running there is coolant pouring out the seams on the muffler inside the engine bay. Never had any issues until now. I'm hoping for some insight as to what it could be and what I should look for and take apart. Video below. Thanks
If you're lucky it's just condensation that has built up in the muffler. You may have water in your fuel.

Worst case, you've blown your head gasket or cracked your head and coolant is pouring into the exhaust manifold.

If you smell antifreeze, it's not good.

Keep a close eye on your coolant level. If it's dropping, you have a problem.

foton

look at your engine oil it should not look like a milkshake, make sure that you do not just have a coolant leak spraying and getting blown everywhere.

foton

I do not know if your machine has one but some have a heat exchanger where engine oil is cooled with coolant , that if you have one would be another place to be looked at. besides cracked block bad head gasket ,bad head.

OP
OP
D

Drock707

look at your engine oil it should not look like a milkshake, make sure that you do not just have a coolant leak spraying and getting blown everywhere.
Engine oil look fine. No water in it and level hasn't changed either.

OP
OP
D

Drock707

If you're lucky it's just condensation that has built up in the muffler. You may have water in your fuel.

Worst case, you've blown your head gasket or cracked your head and coolant is pouring into the exhaust manifold.

If you smell antifreeze, it's not good.

Keep a close eye on your coolant level. If it's dropping, you have a problem.
I wish it was condensation lol I'm in northern Cali and we've had a very wet winter so I was thinking it could be rain water that blew into the exhuast tip but this thing is passing out a lot of fluid when running and I can see the green tint or so I think. Look at the video. It's jot over heating but I'll check again today to make sure

foton

yeah I seen the green, I think that a compression test might tell you what is going on and in what cylinder, I hope it is just a blown head gasket. you could also pressure test the coolant system for leak down.

OP
OP
D

Drock707

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it alot. I'll look into more this week and I'll post what I find. Thanks bud
yeah I seen the green, I think that a compression test might tell you what is going on and in what cylinder, I hope it is just a blown head gasket. you could also pressure test the coolant system for leak down.
Y

TooMuchTin

If you are sure the oil looks good, you might be luckier than I was. Even if it is only a headgasket, the repair on my 753 was a b**ch. Turns out that wasn't the problem, it was the block. I have had the engine out for 3 months and a rebuild ready to go back in. I am way over my head and don't know what to do.

OP
OP
D

Drock707

Yea my oil looks perfectly normal. I still haven't started tearing it apart but u should have time soon. Man best of luck to you and your repairs we both need it lol

Tazza

Staff member
Almost always when a Kubota head cracks, it will not mix with engine oil, it goes into the cylinders IDI engines crack between valves, direct injection can be cooked quite badly and not crack, the head will warp and gasket fails, but mostly they can be saved with a skim.

Hydro lock is definitely a concern though, so be careful, remove a glow plug and spin the engine over to ensure a cylinder is not full of coolant.

OP
OP
D

Drock707

Sorry for the late update but after removing the exhaust and a few other things, I found a coolant line that melted on the exhaust and that was pouring directly into the exhaust housing or outer shield, whatever it's called. Thank God it wasn't something serious

sherifflldon

Sorry for the late update but after removing the exhaust and a few other things, I found a coolant line that melted on the exhaust and that was pouring directly into the exhaust housing or outer shield, whatever it's called. Thank God it wasn't something serious
Drock 707
I have a small coolant line leaking on my T770 onto the muffler. The line was lying on the muffler and apparently melted through. My question is; How the %$#& did you get to it to repair/replace it?
Thanks, Don