T650 Went for a swim, no turn over

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1baddeer

Last week while recovering from our tornado, my T650 track skid steer slid off a ledge and went into the creek. Over the exhaust and motor sounded like it locked up or quit before I could even get to the key and shut it down. My remote location took 2 days to get a recovery wrecker to its location. 6 pulleys and 200' cable wrecker a few big trees and 4 hours in very cold creek water we got it to the bank. The heater fan was still running even though all electric appeared to be off and by this time dash light came on and this is with the key off. Extensive drying and disassembled intake and battery. Charged battery, tried after several days to dry things out. I was unable to turn engine over with long breaker bar and pipe? because of belts to hydraulics?, On the starter end just clicks an dash light go out, swapped relays around to solve error codes, dry out fuses and box. taken water off the intake side, drained oil no water there and fuel looks uncontaminated. Any directions to go next would be appreciated.

Bobcatdan

Remove the drive belt and see if the engine can be turned over manually. If not, remove injectors and see for sure if the engine is hydrolocked. Before going too far thou, if the machine is insured, check with them first.

Tazza

Staff member
Remove the drive belt and see if the engine can be turned over manually. If not, remove injectors and see for sure if the engine is hydrolocked. Before going too far thou, if the machine is insured, check with them first.
If the engine shut down due to snorting up water, I honestly think your engine is toast. Diesels are high compression, draping in water instead of an air charge is very bad news, more so if it was running.
I like Dan's idea, if it's insured, go that route, for you to do the work it will cost you a fortune.
Good luck!

OP
OP

1baddeer

Thanks for the reply's. I had not taken the injectors out yesterday as I contacted my insurance Co. and this type of incident is insured on my farm policy. I was told to not go any further with repairs then what I have done. It shows I had intent to do due diligent to resolve the problem. Had a heavy equipment mechanic here yesterday, he stated that with his experience depending on value and what needs to be done to insure a sound operation after 2 days in water it may even be a total loss and definitely go the insurance claim.

mmsllc

Thanks for the reply's. I had not taken the injectors out yesterday as I contacted my insurance Co. and this type of incident is insured on my farm policy. I was told to not go any further with repairs then what I have done. It shows I had intent to do due diligent to resolve the problem. Had a heavy equipment mechanic here yesterday, he stated that with his experience depending on value and what needs to be done to insure a sound operation after 2 days in water it may even be a total loss and definitely go the insurance claim.
I assume you are OK. I hope you did not get too banged up. Any water getting into the engine is always really bad. If the engine was running at a good rpm, the water could have easily bent a connecting rod(s) & the piston skirt of that bent rod(s) can easily keep the crankshaft from rotating as the piston now is jammed against the crankshaft counter weights. Its hard to picture, but with the rod bent, it is now shorter than it should be. If not that serious of damage, than water could have simply interrupted the piston from reaching TDC before the exhaust valve opened.

Tazza

Staff member
I assume you are OK. I hope you did not get too banged up. Any water getting into the engine is always really bad. If the engine was running at a good rpm, the water could have easily bent a connecting rod(s) & the piston skirt of that bent rod(s) can easily keep the crankshaft from rotating as the piston now is jammed against the crankshaft counter weights. Its hard to picture, but with the rod bent, it is now shorter than it should be. If not that serious of damage, than water could have simply interrupted the piston from reaching TDC before the exhaust valve opened.
I hope they don't give you any trouble with the claim.
My dad points out machines that are at auction that are water damaged or other stolen/recovered. They feel it was not worth getting it fixed for a reason.
I think the main reason is because they can't guarantee that say just a new engine is all that is needed. There could be computer or dash damage, water in the pumps etc.