T250 Low Charge Pressure and Metal in Filter

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

johnp19

I have a, new to me, T250 that has a few problems. Many of the BICS systems are bypassed. It starts and runs well but on the advanced display I get a low charge pressure warning. The charge pressure varies between approximately 80 and 140 PSI. I have sometimes been able to get the loader to raise and the bucket to tilt, albeit slowly. I replaced the filter today and cut the old one open. Unfortunately I found approximately 1/8 teaspoon of metal most of it is very fine with a few larger (1/16 to 1/8") pieces that appear to be brass. While some more troubleshooting, such as measuring the charge pressure with a gage, is in order I believe that I may be looking a replacing one or more of the pumps. I suspect the low charge pressure means that the gear pump, part #6686709, may need replacing. However, I am not sure about the drive pump, part #6686708. Does the brass in the filter help me identify which pump(s) are bad? It would seem that if I just replace the gear pump and the drive pump is making metal that I risk damaging the new gear pump. Thank you in advance for your comments, John

OP
OP
J

johnp19

Here is a picture of what I found in the filter. Does anyone have any opinions as to whether I am facing replacing the entire pump and drive system? Thanks, John http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/T250/_thumbs/IMG_20150808_154312674.jpg

OP
OP
J

johnp19

Here is a picture of what I found in the filter. Does anyone have any opinions as to whether I am facing replacing the entire pump and drive system? Thanks, John http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/T250/_thumbs/IMG_20150808_154312674.jpg
OK, I cannot get the picture to post. If you want to see it it is in the photo section on page four in a file labeled T250. John

Tazza

Staff member
OK, I cannot get the picture to post. If you want to see it it is in the photo section on page four in a file labeled T250. John
It could be the wear plates in the pump.
Have you installed a pressure gauge to see what the pressure is?
Ensure the drive motor hub oil is changed. When bearings go out, they can put trash into the filters too.

7LBSSMALLIE

It could be the wear plates in the pump.
Have you installed a pressure gauge to see what the pressure is?
Ensure the drive motor hub oil is changed. When bearings go out, they can put trash into the filters too.
you stated this unit new to you. teaspoon in filter. all that glitters is not gold. even after source of contaminets. getting it out of 4miles of hoses and tubes. is iffy at best for instance you drop 12 grand in stats and motors and that one piece you did not find resurfaces. straight back into a 4500 component. recommend getting codes if problem has persisted over a period of time seller new there was an issue. if it just happened you got a shot at longevity. good luck my friend.

ljbshop

Brass can come from the gear pump plates, drive pump valve plate, or drive motor brake bushing. All of which also cause steel debris when they go. But the drive pump doesn't make that much steel. If it was my machine, I would check the drive motor in-line case drain filter(s). If they are blown out or brand new (to replace a blown filter), that's bad news since it means the debris came from the motor and went through the whole system. Otherwise, you usually still need a drive pump and gear pump. If the damage comes from the gear pump, it goes straight into the drive pump and often ruins that too. Some machines have a filter between the two, but most don't, most only have hydraulic return filters.