T12v2 Starting issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Biggdadd58

Hello and I thank you for welcoming me to this forum. Little information, I have a 2019 T12V2 that the battery dies after a couple weeks. Dealer installed a cut off switch that has helped. Problem is that after a year, it seems to have trouble starting. When new it didn't matter how cold it was, below 0, it would start without a problem. The dealer installed a new battery 6 months back when they installed the cut out switch. I have noticed that it almost won't start in 55 degree weather and also stored inside a building. It takes so much to turn over the motor that the computer screen flashes on and off and the machine seems that it isn't turning over fast enough to build up compression. Once it starts and runs a very short time, 30 seconds or so, it starts like it should. The dealer has not a clue as to what to do from here. I am told that there are no glow plugs in this model even though there is a symbol on the screen but has never lit up in the cold. I am certain that when it does get cold, this will not start and I don't have room in my home to bring it in so it not be cold when needed. This machine has less than 125 hours on it. With it edging closer to snow season, I need this to start in order to maintain my business.

flyerdan

The specs say that this has a Kubota 3800, so it should have glow plugs, whether they are connected to anything is unknown. They should be pretty easy to spot, if they are there you could run a heavy relay with a momentary push button switch to give them a few second burn before starting.
If there aren't any glow plugs, you could (and should anyway, for engine life) install a block heater that you can plug in and pre-heat the engine for a few hours before starting. They are readily available and easy to install, and can be used with a timer so it's ready when you are, like the coffee maker.

OP
OP
B

Biggdadd58

The specs say that this has a Kubota 3800, so it should have glow plugs, whether they are connected to anything is unknown. They should be pretty easy to spot, if they are there you could run a heavy relay with a momentary push button switch to give them a few second burn before starting.
If there aren't any glow plugs, you could (and should anyway, for engine life) install a block heater that you can plug in and pre-heat the engine for a few hours before starting. They are readily available and easy to install, and can be used with a timer so it's ready when you are, like the coffee maker.
Thanks for the input. Even in the hot summer it has a hard time.

foton

Thanks for the input. Even in the hot summer it has a hard time.
I am wondering does it need to be put on a computer and reprogrammed, the heating cycle time should be set in the system memory. Kubotas are good engines but they do like preheating. maybe should look for another repair station,if who you got can not figure this out, cause maybe it does not have glow plugs but it is almost has to have some sort of heater.

OP
OP
B

Biggdadd58

I am wondering does it need to be put on a computer and reprogrammed, the heating cycle time should be set in the system memory. Kubotas are good engines but they do like preheating. maybe should look for another repair station,if who you got can not figure this out, cause maybe it does not have glow plugs but it is almost has to have some sort of heater.
After a week at the shop, it was discovered that the wire going to the cut off switch that they installed was too small. It was to be a 2/0 and they installed #2. That seems to have caused the issue of a slow start. Also, there are glow plugs. I think I need to find another place to service than the place that I purchased this from. Although they work on all things, the techs there really don't know much about my unit. The manager told me it heat up the glow plugs, I need to turn the ignition switch backwards to get them to heat...mechanic said that is on a Kubota! Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts