T series Bobcat Hub oil alternative?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mtautoken

Siduramaxde posted a hub repair on I think a T200 late last year and he used a NAPA Syn. Gear oil. Has anyone seen or heard of any track record with using generic Syn. Gear oil in these hubs? My BG addative rep is looking into some oil and addative for me. I will post what ever he finds. Some one else said they got the Bobcat/Mobil oil from a friend in Germany at a reasonable cost. Does anyone have a business contact in Germany where we can get the same or a similar deal? Thanks in advance, Ken from Mariposa, CA

thetool

On the oil from Germany, that would have been me. It appears that it was more of a one-time favor than something he can do often....and since I received two one-liter bottles of the correct oil, I have not had the opportunity yet to even break the seal on either of them--go figure......=).
I think suduramaxde is fortunate that he uses and alternative and has experienced relatively few problems so far, but he HAS had to get into his motors, so time will tell....Sid also appears to me to be very conscientious in his maintenance practices, perhaps more so than the average guy has time or desire to be......
To me, that the oil is relatively expensive and appears to be a series of "gouges" from the manufacturer to the end user, is a distraction that in the end only costs a guy big bucks for motors, a painful lesson to learn that there is not always a good work-around. Even more maddening is that regular maintenance with the correct stuff is no guarantee against failure.
My advice, unsolicited, is to change the oil religously every 500 hours, get the CORRECT OIL from Bobcat or an alternate source, and forget about using something else.
I know, it is a grudging matter, but better to buy the oil kit grudingly than motors.

Fishfiles

On the oil from Germany, that would have been me. It appears that it was more of a one-time favor than something he can do often....and since I received two one-liter bottles of the correct oil, I have not had the opportunity yet to even break the seal on either of them--go figure......=).
I think suduramaxde is fortunate that he uses and alternative and has experienced relatively few problems so far, but he HAS had to get into his motors, so time will tell....Sid also appears to me to be very conscientious in his maintenance practices, perhaps more so than the average guy has time or desire to be......
To me, that the oil is relatively expensive and appears to be a series of "gouges" from the manufacturer to the end user, is a distraction that in the end only costs a guy big bucks for motors, a painful lesson to learn that there is not always a good work-around. Even more maddening is that regular maintenance with the correct stuff is no guarantee against failure.
My advice, unsolicited, is to change the oil religously every 500 hours, get the CORRECT OIL from Bobcat or an alternate source, and forget about using something else.
I know, it is a grudging matter, but better to buy the oil kit grudingly than motors.
Ya know whats messed up , now that I had learned about the Mobil syenthic 150 , Bobcat changed it's oil , if you take notice of the new bottle of oil you will see a color variation from the old oil , I was told by my dealer about 2 months ago that Bobcat changed venders on the hub oil , I didn't do no research to see what the new oil is , I just been getting the oil from the dealer and doing it every second oil change at 500 hour intervals ---------------they should have put two plugs on the hub , it would have let it breath better on draining and shorten the drain time -------another trick I learned is to set the plug at about 11 and not 12 when refilling as it goes in a lot better at that spot

thetool

Ya know whats messed up , now that I had learned about the Mobil syenthic 150 , Bobcat changed it's oil , if you take notice of the new bottle of oil you will see a color variation from the old oil , I was told by my dealer about 2 months ago that Bobcat changed venders on the hub oil , I didn't do no research to see what the new oil is , I just been getting the oil from the dealer and doing it every second oil change at 500 hour intervals ---------------they should have put two plugs on the hub , it would have let it breath better on draining and shorten the drain time -------another trick I learned is to set the plug at about 11 and not 12 when refilling as it goes in a lot better at that spot
Oh man......changed the oil again!......What's a guy supposed to do? Maybe with the mobilgear, they noticed a drop in new motor sales, and switched it out to get the numbers back up......=).
Good to know about the plug positions, thanks. I kept the syringe from my first kit and have no problems injecting with force, but I am keeping an eye on the black rubber plunger, and am not confident that it won't start breaking down and become useless.
LOL injecting with force.....I guess I oughtta find me a new girlfriend...

siduramaxde

Oh man......changed the oil again!......What's a guy supposed to do? Maybe with the mobilgear, they noticed a drop in new motor sales, and switched it out to get the numbers back up......=).
Good to know about the plug positions, thanks. I kept the syringe from my first kit and have no problems injecting with force, but I am keeping an eye on the black rubber plunger, and am not confident that it won't start breaking down and become useless.
LOL injecting with force.....I guess I oughtta find me a new girlfriend...
Here's what it boils down to. Bobcat is wanting us to use the "special" oil they sell to extend the service intervals. The hub oil they sell is good oil and I think it helps extend service intervals. I have had the hub apart and there really is nothing special inside the hub- a few seals and a bearing that is preloaded to something like 9000#'s. I say as long as there is oil in the hub you will be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to just put standard gear oil in the hub, just change it more often. This being said, I have had no problems using Vavoline synthetic gear oil from napa. I just change the hub oil at about 100-150 hours instead of 500 hours. All the damaged that happened to my machine came before I got it.

thetool

Here's what it boils down to. Bobcat is wanting us to use the "special" oil they sell to extend the service intervals. The hub oil they sell is good oil and I think it helps extend service intervals. I have had the hub apart and there really is nothing special inside the hub- a few seals and a bearing that is preloaded to something like 9000#'s. I say as long as there is oil in the hub you will be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to just put standard gear oil in the hub, just change it more often. This being said, I have had no problems using Vavoline synthetic gear oil from napa. I just change the hub oil at about 100-150 hours instead of 500 hours. All the damaged that happened to my machine came before I got it.
I'm no engineer, but I think the 9000 lb pre-load is what makes it "special".....=).
May your motors live forever! My hat's off to you for meticulous maintenance practices, Sid. If anybody deserves long motor life, it's you.....=).

OP
OP
M

mtautoken

I'm no engineer, but I think the 9000 lb pre-load is what makes it "special".....=).
May your motors live forever! My hat's off to you for meticulous maintenance practices, Sid. If anybody deserves long motor life, it's you.....=).
Thanks Guy's for all your input. I'm going to buy the dealers oil. But I'm not letting this one go just yet. I will continue to research for a better price. I think if someone was to buy this oil in quantity, repackage it in a single use size, they could probably make a decent profit and still pass on a deal. Anyway, If I find an alternative to the dealer on this oil I will post it here. I'm sure all will appreciate the same if someone else finds it as well.