Suggestions for securing trailers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Greatdaen

I am in need of a trailer and plan to get one in the next few weeks. I would like peoples' suggestions on how they secure their trailers when not using.
This trailer will be stored at a location that is not fenced. It has neighbors all around, but not their responsibility to monitor. I had a friend get a trailer stollen from a business without a fence. He had some high grade locks on the tongue, but the thieves had enough time over a three-day weekend to get to it.
I know a crook can get around anything with enough time and interest. So what do you guys find that works. What is a good tradeoff between secure and a pain to put on and off?
Thanks, Daen

OldMachinist

Locks only keep honest people honest. A thief with enough time can remove any lock, chain or cable. I know it sounds like a pain but if it going to left unattended the best way to keep a trailer from being moved is to remove the tires and wheels and take them with you. Even if you were able to secure the trailer the thief might just take the tires and wheels.

jkwilson

I agree with removing wheels, but it has a flaw, If the thief can drive by and see the wheels missing, they can just bring wheels with them, attach with a couple of lugs and hit the road. And you have to mount and dismount the wheels everytime you use it. A chain going wheel to wheel through the spokes or gaps that isn't easily visible is difficult to defeat without planning. If you keep the chain somewhat hidden from view, it works better, but isn't a deterent. One of the best that I've seen was a ball welded to a pipe set in concrete that was low enough for the trailer to be pulled over. You unhitched from the vehicle, then pulled out. Crank the trailer down over the ball on the pipe and lock it in place. Not fool proof, but it would slow anybody down to keep them from grabbing it and going, which, IMO, is the only type of theft you can easily prevent. Whatever you use, make it slow to defeat, and if you can make them make noise or use a torch, so much the better. Thieves like easy targets.

siduramaxde

I agree with removing wheels, but it has a flaw, If the thief can drive by and see the wheels missing, they can just bring wheels with them, attach with a couple of lugs and hit the road. And you have to mount and dismount the wheels everytime you use it. A chain going wheel to wheel through the spokes or gaps that isn't easily visible is difficult to defeat without planning. If you keep the chain somewhat hidden from view, it works better, but isn't a deterent. One of the best that I've seen was a ball welded to a pipe set in concrete that was low enough for the trailer to be pulled over. You unhitched from the vehicle, then pulled out. Crank the trailer down over the ball on the pipe and lock it in place. Not fool proof, but it would slow anybody down to keep them from grabbing it and going, which, IMO, is the only type of theft you can easily prevent. Whatever you use, make it slow to defeat, and if you can make them make noise or use a torch, so much the better. Thieves like easy targets.
A wheel boot is a sure fire way to keep things from being stolen. Good insurance and a lock will protect you.

OldMachinist

I wasn't suggesting that you don't also lock the trailer up somehow. Daen you didn't say what kind of neighbors are nearby(residental, rural or industrial). If they're residental it wouldn't hurt to get friendly with some of them and just ask them to call the local police if something doesn't look right.

frogfarmer

I wasn't suggesting that you don't also lock the trailer up somehow. Daen you didn't say what kind of neighbors are nearby(residental, rural or industrial). If they're residental it wouldn't hurt to get friendly with some of them and just ask them to call the local police if something doesn't look right.
I have seen most every type of security device defeated. A thief has no regard for the item they are stealing. If they tear it up they just want less when they sell it. Getting to know the neighbors is good advise but they likely wont want to get involved and will hesitate to call the police. Video survelance is a good idea because the conviction rate is much higher. A local storage unit business may have a secure lot with survelance cameras on the entrance. I have worked in less than nice neighborhoods and I wont leave anything I value unattended. Chains are easy to cut. Hitch locks dont need to be removed for the trailer to be stolen. They can drag a trailer with a wheel lock to a (safe for them) place to remove. If you dont trust the area dont leave it. Most items can be stolen in a matter of minutes. Many people who are not thieves have no idea how easy most items can disappear.

OP
OP
G

Greatdaen

I have seen most every type of security device defeated. A thief has no regard for the item they are stealing. If they tear it up they just want less when they sell it. Getting to know the neighbors is good advise but they likely wont want to get involved and will hesitate to call the police. Video survelance is a good idea because the conviction rate is much higher. A local storage unit business may have a secure lot with survelance cameras on the entrance. I have worked in less than nice neighborhoods and I wont leave anything I value unattended. Chains are easy to cut. Hitch locks dont need to be removed for the trailer to be stolen. They can drag a trailer with a wheel lock to a (safe for them) place to remove. If you dont trust the area dont leave it. Most items can be stolen in a matter of minutes. Many people who are not thieves have no idea how easy most items can disappear.
Thanks everyone for your inputs. They were about what I expected, but had to ask. The area is residential and off the beaten path. I would have been much more confident in the idea of "security through obscurity." But about six months ago had a pile of scrap metal pilfered from the site. Neighbors are good people, but none have a clear view.
Thanks again. Daen

gtstang462002

Thanks everyone for your inputs. They were about what I expected, but had to ask. The area is residential and off the beaten path. I would have been much more confident in the idea of "security through obscurity." But about six months ago had a pile of scrap metal pilfered from the site. Neighbors are good people, but none have a clear view.
Thanks again. Daen
Buy a gooseneck rig. There are fewer thieves out there with the ability to pull it away and take a little longer to just "hook up and run".

frogfarmer

Buy a gooseneck rig. There are fewer thieves out there with the ability to pull it away and take a little longer to just "hook up and run".
If you go gooseneck consider this. A spare tire in a truck bed is all that is needed to take your trailer. They lower the hitch into the recess of the rim and away they go. I have seen this more times than I can count. Most stolen goosenecks are horse trailers the expensive ones.

wright const

If you go gooseneck consider this. A spare tire in a truck bed is all that is needed to take your trailer. They lower the hitch into the recess of the rim and away they go. I have seen this more times than I can count. Most stolen goosenecks are horse trailers the expensive ones.
Insurance

Grampa

Insure the trailer for theft. Ask your insurer what steps you need to take to satisfy their security requirements, comply with those and park it.

RJSStamps

Insure the trailer for theft. Ask your insurer what steps you need to take to satisfy their security requirements, comply with those and park it.
My trailer rarely comes off the truck. They would have to take both! Good luck though :) First they need to get past the locks on the trailer if they want to seperate them, but to get too the truck and trailer they first have to get past the neighbors (nosey types) and then past the three pitbulls! Once passed those two obsticles they need to get past the chain through the wheels, it goes through all 4 trailer wheels and makes lots of noise. One neighbor is a retired cop. The trailer ball is locked onto the truck, and the reciever also has a lock.
Finally knowing the cops helps too. Around here all the police know me and my vehicles if they see someone else driving one they stop them! It's happened several times.

RJS

Jock.

My trailer rarely comes off the truck. They would have to take both! Good luck though :) First they need to get past the locks on the trailer if they want to seperate them, but to get too the truck and trailer they first have to get past the neighbors (nosey types) and then past the three pitbulls! Once passed those two obsticles they need to get past the chain through the wheels, it goes through all 4 trailer wheels and makes lots of noise. One neighbor is a retired cop. The trailer ball is locked onto the truck, and the reciever also has a lock.
Finally knowing the cops helps too. Around here all the police know me and my vehicles if they see someone else driving one they stop them! It's happened several times.

RJS
A cordless angle grinder beats all locks.
I would try the wheels off option, with a weird stud pattern.