Stump Grinder

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Chandler

Anyone know anything about an alitec sg20 stump grinder? How does it rate in comparison with the bobcat stump grinders?

skidsteer.ca

I have never used either of those. I do have a Erskine one. It does not have a 3rd cylinder to move the wheel closer or further from the loader, you have to move the machine when you are done your arc. Also the arc is 58 degrees instead of 90
I does how ever have the advantage of electric valving so I can run the cylinders from the steering ever switches and alot wider flow range of 15 to 38 gpm. Also the wheel throws chips away from the machine.
My exerience with it so far is there will be no such thing as too much flow and pressure from the loader, the more the better. I'm running it with 24 gpm at 2600 psi and that works decent, but I like the idea that if in the future I get a loader with larger pumps that I won't have to change attachments to acomodate it. It will chew through a 18" poplar stump in 5 or 6 minutes. A oak that size may take 10 to 15,
Ken

bobcatbrian

I have a bobcat sgx-60 stump grinder on my s-250 hi-flow. It works great when you have a solid surface to set it on. If they have done any ground work to loosen the soil, the grinder will jump all over the place. Its nice that they mounted the head 90 degrees to your line of sight, makes for good visibility. You can park over a 30in stump and not move to grind the whole stump(exept to clear the pile of grindings). You have control of all 3 axis from the seat without moving the skid-loader. I have tried using it on low flow, it will work, but of course it takes longer. This is the only grinder i have used so i cant say how it compares to other but i have no real complaints about it. When its time for a new one, i will get the same thing. I have ground well over 150 stumps with it. If you take say a 30in ash stump that is cut a couple inches above the surface and grind it 6 or 8 inches deep you are looking at about ten minutes, give or take, depending how sharp your teeth are. If you can keep the weight of the loader on the grinder using down pressure this will help keep the grinder stable.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I have a bobcat sgx-60 stump grinder on my s-250 hi-flow. It works great when you have a solid surface to set it on. If they have done any ground work to loosen the soil, the grinder will jump all over the place. Its nice that they mounted the head 90 degrees to your line of sight, makes for good visibility. You can park over a 30in stump and not move to grind the whole stump(exept to clear the pile of grindings). You have control of all 3 axis from the seat without moving the skid-loader. I have tried using it on low flow, it will work, but of course it takes longer. This is the only grinder i have used so i cant say how it compares to other but i have no real complaints about it. When its time for a new one, i will get the same thing. I have ground well over 150 stumps with it. If you take say a 30in ash stump that is cut a couple inches above the surface and grind it 6 or 8 inches deep you are looking at about ten minutes, give or take, depending how sharp your teeth are. If you can keep the weight of the loader on the grinder using down pressure this will help keep the grinder stable.
I have a 773G loader and it's not the high flow. I have been thinking about getting a stump grinder to do some jobs when the excavating jobs are slow. But I would have to compete with the stump grinder businesses. They have the stump grinders that are self propelled, the type that are pulled behind their pickups or are on a trailer. I think the bobcat stump grinder may have an advantage over them from what I have observed. I'm not sure whether the sg-15 or the sg-30 would be the best for my loader. I believe my loader puts out about 17 gpm on the hydraulic flow. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I am taking my time and looking for a good used one in good condition.

skidsteer.ca

I have a 773G loader and it's not the high flow. I have been thinking about getting a stump grinder to do some jobs when the excavating jobs are slow. But I would have to compete with the stump grinder businesses. They have the stump grinders that are self propelled, the type that are pulled behind their pickups or are on a trailer. I think the bobcat stump grinder may have an advantage over them from what I have observed. I'm not sure whether the sg-15 or the sg-30 would be the best for my loader. I believe my loader puts out about 17 gpm on the hydraulic flow. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I am taking my time and looking for a good used one in good condition.
Your loader has 16.9 gpm at 3000 psi, which in theory gives you 29.5 hp, less about 10% , that you can apply to grinder wheel. So you should be able to compete with grinders up to 25 hp. You will have the advantage of being more mobile at the job site. But will find that is none to much if you just want to grind stumps all day. Your loader will meet the specs for the standard flow units and has higher pressures in its favour, (most mfgs state a min flow, but don't tell your that the pressure is just as big of a factor that contributes to your max hyd hp)
The biggest advantage I find for the skidsteer stump grinder is I can offer more services then just stump grinding when I go to a customers. For just a few stumps your cost to move is going to be a bit high, and without hi flow, you won't be able to compete with the big grinders in terms of speed. But if you can go and fix the drive, till the garden, etc, and do the stumps, then you have a edge.
Grinding time also varies greatly on the species of stump, A oak stum takes twice as long as a poplar or spruce for me. Fortunately most of the tree here are softer species. Something else to consider.
Ken