Stump bucket with wheeled machine, bad idea?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Impact-vector

I'm thinking of building a stump bucket but most of the videos I see are of CTLs. Anyone got one that they use with wheels? How does it work? Or should I spend the money on a backhoe attachment.? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
There is no reason why it won't work just fine on a wheeled machine.
If you plan on just removing roots, a bucket is ideal, if you want to dig as well, a backhoe attachment is great. I guess it depends on what you want do do with it. I found digging out a stump with a backhoe took a lot of time vs what i feel a root bucket would have done. They cut the roots better. The backhoe i had to dig a huge hole around it to cut the roots to get it out. So for the jobs, both have their strong points.

OP
OP
I

Impact-vector

There is no reason why it won't work just fine on a wheeled machine.
If you plan on just removing roots, a bucket is ideal, if you want to dig as well, a backhoe attachment is great. I guess it depends on what you want do do with it. I found digging out a stump with a backhoe took a lot of time vs what i feel a root bucket would have done. They cut the roots better. The backhoe i had to dig a huge hole around it to cut the roots to get it out. So for the jobs, both have their strong points.
Thanks! My big concern was traction to push the stump bucket into harder ground or thicker roots. Ill let you guys know how it goes! Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks! My big concern was traction to push the stump bucket into harder ground or thicker roots. Ill let you guys know how it goes! Thanks
This is true, i still think with tyres you'd be ok. I'm sure you'll get the hang of the best way to cut the roots off, more trial and error i'd guess.

sstec

This is true, i still think with tyres you'd be ok. I'm sure you'll get the hang of the best way to cut the roots off, more trial and error i'd guess.
I use one on my 873F,
Works great, removed 20 stumps last year with it.
A little more snow melt so I can get to it and I'll post a few pictures.
sstec

farmshop

I use one on my 873F,
Works great, removed 20 stumps last year with it.
A little more snow melt so I can get to it and I'll post a few pictures.
sstec
We use ours on our s590 with either the tires or with grouser tracks. Tracks help. We also use our t190. I agree the stump bucket is faster than a backhoe. Although we have been known to tag team big stumps that a 621 case had a hard time moving when out

Tchara

We use ours on our s590 with either the tires or with grouser tracks. Tracks help. We also use our t190. I agree the stump bucket is faster than a backhoe. Although we have been known to tag team big stumps that a 621 case had a hard time moving when out
I use a stump bucket with a John Deere 250 wheeled machine, and it works great. I live in Texas, and have 4 acres full of cedar trees, and it takes them out lickity split. My only regret buying one is getting a stump bucket without the thumb. As your pulling trees, it would be nice to be able to grab hold of them to drag them out of your way. I just pull out as many as I have room for, then use my grapple to haul them off. Been thinking of buying a after market thumb for it.

1gr8bldr

A wheel machine is fine. Traction is not what you use with a stump bucket. It is leverage like a hammer claw. At first you will lever to much, raising the back of the machine to high which is hard on the machine once the root pops and the machine drops 8 inches. Soon you learn to pry just enough to use the weight without the jar. A track unit would be nice on tough roots. Especially in soft or wet dirt because I often tear the ground spinning because I don't realize I am spinning. I also have a backhoe attachment which I love. It is a digging wonder.... but even so, it can not do half that a curved stump bucket can do.