Steps to check Fuel Gauge/Sensor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Rambler

I pulled the engine and pump on my 853 to repair some leaks. Before pulling the engine the fuel gauge always read empty. Since I had the engine out I put in a new sensor. The fuel gauge still reads empty. I should have checked everything before putting the engine back in. Can some one provide me some easy to follow steps on how to check the gauge and the sensor wires. Thank you

foton

you need to verify that the sensor and gauge are compatible with themselves like one got changed out and the other did not so ohms do not match up. I would suggest that the sender is usually the culprit. but buy a matched pair and replace both unless you can confirm what you have is of known ohm values. But first did you look and see if the switch is in the run position there is 12 volts at the sender at the tank?

OP
OP
R

Rambler

you need to verify that the sensor and gauge are compatible with themselves like one got changed out and the other did not so ohms do not match up. I would suggest that the sender is usually the culprit. but buy a matched pair and replace both unless you can confirm what you have is of known ohm values. But first did you look and see if the switch is in the run position there is 12 volts at the sender at the tank?
The gauge is the original that came with the machine when it was new. The sensor I installed is a Bobcat sensor from the dealer for my specific model.

foton

The gauge is the original that came with the machine when it was new. The sensor I installed is a Bobcat sensor from the dealer for my specific model.
pull the gauge cluster off and see if there is 12 volts at the gauge with the key on , make sure that the ground is also good to the gauge . if so go to the sending unit and see if there is power there. there is a chance that the float is stuck on the sides of the fuel tank also if it is not sitting at the correct angle.

foton

pull the gauge cluster off and see if there is 12 volts at the gauge with the key on , make sure that the ground is also good to the gauge . if so go to the sending unit and see if there is power there. there is a chance that the float is stuck on the sides of the fuel tank also if it is not sitting at the correct angle.
forgot to mention that many fuel tanks are plastic and a good ground must be attached to the sending unit base also to complete the circuit.

Latest posts