Steering Linkage Adjustment on 873 Skid Steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

memphisdoug

I put this on the Skid Steer forum but maybe this is a better place for it. I have a Bobcat 873 with a problem with the steering control arms. The left hand arm causes the left wheels to move forward and back as soon as it is moved from the neutral position. The right had arm has a lot more travel that is required both forward and back before the right wheels will move. It makes it somewhat hard to make left hand turns while moving because the right had wheels won't go as fast as the left. I took the access plates off the side of the Bobcat and it appears the right arm moves stuff on the valve as soon as it is moved - it just doesn't make anything happen hydraulically until you move it quite aways. The service manual I have talks about adjusting free play for the right hand arm but it is for serial numbers less than mine (my serial number is 514115288) and is a whole different linkage system than what I have. My question - is this something easy to fix and how do I do it? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Tazza

Staff member
Check your linkages, especially the ones on the pump. My S250 had this issue, it would buck around when you try and move a little. It has alloy blocks that bolt to the shafts on the pump. The bolts were tight, but the blocks had been loose at some point allowing them to wollow out. The alloy blocks would slide up and down the shafts allowing it to have a mind of its own.
Get a screw driver and see if you can lever them up, even get in there with a torch and look at the shaft whhile you move the steering lever. If the shaft doesn't move as soom as the alloy block does, that's your problem.
Start looking there, hopefully its as simple as that.

SkidRoe

Check your linkages, especially the ones on the pump. My S250 had this issue, it would buck around when you try and move a little. It has alloy blocks that bolt to the shafts on the pump. The bolts were tight, but the blocks had been loose at some point allowing them to wollow out. The alloy blocks would slide up and down the shafts allowing it to have a mind of its own.
Get a screw driver and see if you can lever them up, even get in there with a torch and look at the shaft whhile you move the steering lever. If the shaft doesn't move as soom as the alloy block does, that's your problem.
Start looking there, hopefully its as simple as that.
I was a little horrified for a second at what Tazza was explaining there, but then I realised: Torch = Flashlight.
Wheh..... Keep Mr. HotWrench away from your hydraulic pumps!!

Kermode

Tazza

Staff member
Damned colonials. We transported them for a reason. :D But seriously folks, check out this thread. Lots of pics and explains it all very well. http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?19690-Repairing-creeping-Bobcat
I like this guys way of compressing the spring... I wish i thought of that, i have spent a long time fighting with it to get the nut on the back. Even had my girlfriend hold a pry bar to compress the spring while i tried to get the nut to start. I'll know better for next time.
Excellent post though.