Steel Tracks on a T320

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Kelly

There was an announcement on Bobcatnet today that the T250, T300, and T320 will be offered with an optional steel track undercarriage. No word on prices yet. Some of the guys that went to San Antonio last summer got to see one. Apparently it's pretty cool.

Fishfiles

i can see steel tracks being great for some situations but defeating the best advantage of rubber tracks , which is being able to cross concrete and asplhault at will

thetool

i can see steel tracks being great for some situations but defeating the best advantage of rubber tracks , which is being able to cross concrete and asplhault at will
It's probably going after the forestry applications market?

bobcat_ron

I wonder how hard they are going to be to take on and off , probally will have to break them in half
Steel tracks will do less damage than the rubber on pavement, just a few scratches are left behind, and they fade over time. turning on grass is better though, steel slides better than rubber, assuming the pads are triple grousers and NOT singles. They will limit the speed, as the weight and vibrations will tear them apart despite Bobcat's pipe dream that they think their products are indestructible.

thetool

Steel tracks will do less damage than the rubber on pavement, just a few scratches are left behind, and they fade over time. turning on grass is better though, steel slides better than rubber, assuming the pads are triple grousers and NOT singles. They will limit the speed, as the weight and vibrations will tear them apart despite Bobcat's pipe dream that they think their products are indestructible.
I guess that depends on what you consider pavement. Concrete? Yeah, some scratches, but how are some scratches 'less damage' than none at all? Steel will tear asphalt to shreads and if it's summer and hot, one pass over an asphalt parking lot and you'll be in deep doo-doo.
I'm assuming that Bobcat will of course be thinking of some kind of modification of undercarriage parts to carry steel tracks.
With the correct rollers, drive sprocket and shoe design, vibration could be similar to rubber. Chain-and-shoe tracks are not for high speed on any machine.
One great benefit I see over rubber is that the links bend easier, going around the end rollers--you're not constantly trying to fold three phone-books in half for every inch of travel. I'm not sure steel would weigh that much more than the rubber tracks-so I think there would be a great net HP available improvement.
Ron-you murdered your T190 through neglect and abuse, and you let it sour you on Bobcat-your denial of your responsibility and desire to blame your actions or lack of care on manufacturing flaws is typical of the common and growing problem of free individuals in Western society who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions, hence the incessant Bobcat-bashing.
I think some introspection is in order on your part, consider this unqualified but "free" therapy.......=).

Fishfiles

I guess that depends on what you consider pavement. Concrete? Yeah, some scratches, but how are some scratches 'less damage' than none at all? Steel will tear asphalt to shreads and if it's summer and hot, one pass over an asphalt parking lot and you'll be in deep doo-doo.
I'm assuming that Bobcat will of course be thinking of some kind of modification of undercarriage parts to carry steel tracks.
With the correct rollers, drive sprocket and shoe design, vibration could be similar to rubber. Chain-and-shoe tracks are not for high speed on any machine.
One great benefit I see over rubber is that the links bend easier, going around the end rollers--you're not constantly trying to fold three phone-books in half for every inch of travel. I'm not sure steel would weigh that much more than the rubber tracks-so I think there would be a great net HP available improvement.
Ron-you murdered your T190 through neglect and abuse, and you let it sour you on Bobcat-your denial of your responsibility and desire to blame your actions or lack of care on manufacturing flaws is typical of the common and growing problem of free individuals in Western society who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions, hence the incessant Bobcat-bashing.
I think some introspection is in order on your part, consider this unqualified but "free" therapy.......=).
You tell'em Tool -------- Ron , I didn't know you were a machinery abuser , are you registered in your area as one -------it may not mark up concrete where you are at Ron but over here in the nicer parts of town , which usually is where the people got money are , there is a lot of fresh still green concrete , stamped concrete , faux rock , paver bricks , asphault and if you scratch it up you can bet it will make it to a law suit if not addressed as New Orleans is Sue Capitol of the world , a majority of people are always looking for a way to get the job cheaper or an excuse to not pay at all ----------------I was at the dealer today and asked if a rubber to steel conversion kit is in the works yet and what it would incorporate and they said " as of yet , they know nothing "

Fishfiles

You tell'em Tool -------- Ron , I didn't know you were a machinery abuser , are you registered in your area as one -------it may not mark up concrete where you are at Ron but over here in the nicer parts of town , which usually is where the people got money are , there is a lot of fresh still green concrete , stamped concrete , faux rock , paver bricks , asphault and if you scratch it up you can bet it will make it to a law suit if not addressed as New Orleans is Sue Capitol of the world , a majority of people are always looking for a way to get the job cheaper or an excuse to not pay at all ----------------I was at the dealer today and asked if a rubber to steel conversion kit is in the works yet and what it would incorporate and they said " as of yet , they know nothing "
I was told today there wll be no retro fit kit for steel for existing T series as the entire frame , rollers , idlers all different , I heard it's going to be about a $10,000 opition ----new T 480 (rumor)------- I 'll try to guess the price , T480 , deluxe , ac/heat cab , high flow , steel tracks = $100,000 , probally a bit more

Adair350

I was told today there wll be no retro fit kit for steel for existing T series as the entire frame , rollers , idlers all different , I heard it's going to be about a $10,000 opition ----new T 480 (rumor)------- I 'll try to guess the price , T480 , deluxe , ac/heat cab , high flow , steel tracks = $100,000 , probally a bit more
Bobcat website just introduced steel track option for T250 300 320 and Fishfiles is exactly right, the whole under carrage is different and there will be no steel to rubber/rubber to steel retro.(Fact) As for the new loader everything I have found on the web says its a T380 totaly redesignd, new cab, air seat, better visibility, 40+gpm highflow and around 100 Hp with a Doosan engine. It is expected to make intro this summer. (Hear-say)