Starter issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

FJRDarksider

I just bought an 853 with an interesting issue. It starts without issue, but for some reason it starts intermittently "chirping" like something is loose and banging against the block. It would come and go and doesn't change with idle settings. The sound seems to be coming from the starter and the needle on the ammeter twitches in sync with the chirp. I am thinking the starter solenoid is sticking or something? Anyone had something similar occur?
Thanks.

OP
OP
FJRDarksider

FJRDarksider

It appears what's happening is there is either a short/bad ground/relay/voltage regulator issue. The noise is from the starter as the solenoid is intermittently engaging.....thus forcing the gear into the flywheel (ouch). I pulled it off and there doesn't appear to be major damage.

When this happens, the ammeter needle drops in unison so I am not sure if the cause is a bad/faulty starter solenoid, or starter relay, or voltage regulator from the alternator (I already replace the ignition switch with no change). I am thinking it might be the voltage regulator as it takes about 20-30 seconds to reach 14.6 volts to the battery......strange.

The contacts on the solenoid were a tad corroded so I will clean it up and give it another go......

Am I on the right track or way off?

brdgbldr

It appears what's happening is there is either a short/bad ground/relay/voltage regulator issue. The noise is from the starter as the solenoid is intermittently engaging.....thus forcing the gear into the flywheel (ouch). I pulled it off and there doesn't appear to be major damage.

When this happens, the ammeter needle drops in unison so I am not sure if the cause is a bad/faulty starter solenoid, or starter relay, or voltage regulator from the alternator (I already replace the ignition switch with no change). I am thinking it might be the voltage regulator as it takes about 20-30 seconds to reach 14.6 volts to the battery......strange.

The contacts on the solenoid were a tad corroded so I will clean it up and give it another go......

Am I on the right track or way off?
Sounds like you are on the right track.
Make sure all of your grounds are clean and tight.

If that doesn't work you may have a short somewhere or it could be a bad magnetic relay in the fuse box.

OP
OP
FJRDarksider

FJRDarksider

Turns out it was two issues (there was nothing wrong with the starter solenoid and alternator voltage regulator).

First off, the v-belt on the water pump/alternator was worn and popped off. Picked up a new belt and once installed, that's when the initial problem arose (starter engaging intermittently). I order an alternator thinking it's a voltage issue (original charging at 14.66 - takes 30-sec to a minute to get there). While waiting for the part I also suspect the starter alternator so I clean all the connections etc. to no avail (also ordered a new starter).

Again, while waiting for parts, I then decide to check the relay........I replace it..........well as soon as I turn the key on the starter engages and I have to remove the relay to make it stop (the original relay didn't do that, but would start to intermittently engage after a minute or two, but only after the alternator was reconnected).

I start the engine, remove the relay and discover there is still power across the magnet.

Issue one, bad ignition relay.
Issue two, for some reason the previous owner had crossed the BATT and IGN wires

New relay and corrected
wiring, problem solved........at least I now have a spare alternator and starter should I ever need it LOL.