Stalling problem on an S250

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Big Snout

Hello, I own a 2003 S250 Bobcat loader. I will describe the problem in a second but first I want to go through my starting procedure. I first start it and let it warm up for a couple of minutes I then slowly increase the engine speed to about 2/3rds before I attempt to move it. Even when I move it I'm gentle on it until it gets up to operating temperature. Once I am at temperature I give it full throttle so I can use it to capacity. Here is the problem and it happened overnight. When I start the machine now and go through my motions the thing almost stalls out. When I try to move it while simultaneously raising the boom and crowding the bucket the engine just starts to die like it's being overloaded or starved. Here was my first thought, the battery is pretty weak because it is a 5 year old original unit that needs to be replaced. I believed that may be a problem so figured I might as well try to let the machine idle for about twenty minutes or so then try again. This seemed to work so I assumed the battery was the culprit. Once I was finished using it for the day I put a battery charger on it an let it charge the battery until I tried it again the next day, same thing. It worked fine only after it warmed up. Any body got any ideas what else it could be? I don't think it is starved for fuel because why would it run fine after it ran for a while and warmed up? Maybe that may be a clue also. If anyone out there has an answer I would love to hear it. Oh, by the way, the machine only has 224 hrs on it and absolutely no leaks. She is as tight as brand new. Please email me and ask me any questions that may help you in the diagnosis of this problem. Thanxz in advance from The Big Snout.

Tazza

Staff member
I'd still start with changing the fuel filter just to be sure. Do you have a primer bulb as well? when it starts to die, check that its not flat, if so its a blockage at the pickup end causing a lack of fuel.
As for running better warm could simple be the heat generated makes the fuel a little thinner so it can get through the filter easier. I don't know how cold it is there but i know some diesel will gel up when it gets cold and even waxy? this can plug filters as well.
If it was me, filter first. Start with the simple things then work to the harder ones.
I can't see a flat battery causing any issues like this, with Diesels when they have started they keep going with their own energy, no electricity is required to keep it going, other than the fuel shut off solenoid but you didn't say it turned off.

skidsteer.ca

I'd still start with changing the fuel filter just to be sure. Do you have a primer bulb as well? when it starts to die, check that its not flat, if so its a blockage at the pickup end causing a lack of fuel.
As for running better warm could simple be the heat generated makes the fuel a little thinner so it can get through the filter easier. I don't know how cold it is there but i know some diesel will gel up when it gets cold and even waxy? this can plug filters as well.
If it was me, filter first. Start with the simple things then work to the harder ones.
I can't see a flat battery causing any issues like this, with Diesels when they have started they keep going with their own energy, no electricity is required to keep it going, other than the fuel shut off solenoid but you didn't say it turned off.
Fuel filter
Ken