Space between bobtach and lift arms

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Can anyone measure the gap between the bobtach and the lift arms for me? as in the gap from the top of the bobtach to the arms when pulled rite back or the closest part of the bobtach, i don't bind which. I'm at the stage that i need to weld the tilt ram stick to a boss, but i need to know just how far back the bobtach sits. I'm pretty sure it isn't suposed to pull all the way back and touch the arms. Once i get this all worked out i can cut the stick to length and weld it in.
This machine is so close to being finished........ I'm itching to give it a good run.

skidsteer.ca

Tazza
Your refering to the clearance between the loader arm crossmember and the bobtach?
FWIW
I'd don't have a machine like yours (743 right?) but can only tell you on my 94 753 the bobtach came so close to the cross member that the levers to release the bucket scratched the paint on the crossmemer. And I don't believe there was anything much that was not as the factory had intended it to be. Any of these loaders I have seen with the single tilt cylinder come very close to touching the levers to the cross member when the tilt cylinder is fully retracted.
Hopefully someone has a machine they can measure from for you.
Regards
Ken

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza
Your refering to the clearance between the loader arm crossmember and the bobtach?
FWIW
I'd don't have a machine like yours (743 right?) but can only tell you on my 94 753 the bobtach came so close to the cross member that the levers to release the bucket scratched the paint on the crossmemer. And I don't believe there was anything much that was not as the factory had intended it to be. Any of these loaders I have seen with the single tilt cylinder come very close to touching the levers to the cross member when the tilt cylinder is fully retracted.
Hopefully someone has a machine they can measure from for you.
Regards
Ken
Thanks for the reply Ken, thats what i suspected.
I believe all loaders are basically the same with how the bobtach sits, i will just sit a piece of cardboard between the arms and the bobtach for a spacer. As you have confirmed the bobtach sits almost as far back as it can go (this is what i thought). I want as much backwards tilt as i can get as i want to make a set of pallet forks one day and you really need a bit more backwards tilt.
Thanks again

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the reply Ken, thats what i suspected.
I believe all loaders are basically the same with how the bobtach sits, i will just sit a piece of cardboard between the arms and the bobtach for a spacer. As you have confirmed the bobtach sits almost as far back as it can go (this is what i thought). I want as much backwards tilt as i can get as i want to make a set of pallet forks one day and you really need a bit more backwards tilt.
Thanks again
You should be fine with that. Think I'd shoot for @ 1/2 inch gap. Also be sure you bobtach contacts the stops on the boom when the tilt is fully extended. The bobtach can be shimed to provide proper contact timing with the boom.
Ken

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
You should be fine with that. Think I'd shoot for @ 1/2 inch gap. Also be sure you bobtach contacts the stops on the boom when the tilt is fully extended. The bobtach can be shimed to provide proper contact timing with the boom.
Ken
Thanks Ken.
The bobtach is all attached, i left about 1/4" gap. I made 2, 1/4" nylon spacers for between the bobtach and the lift arms (one either side). I just need to weld up a small piece on the bobtach stops as the left side doesn't contact the stops at the same time as the right. I think i can fix this fairly easily with my trusty welder "mr sparky".
It all works great, the only problem is i now have air in my lift cylinders again! I just need to be patient to purge it. I'm amazed with just how much control you loose with worn bushings on the pedals.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks Ken.
The bobtach is all attached, i left about 1/4" gap. I made 2, 1/4" nylon spacers for between the bobtach and the lift arms (one either side). I just need to weld up a small piece on the bobtach stops as the left side doesn't contact the stops at the same time as the right. I think i can fix this fairly easily with my trusty welder "mr sparky".
It all works great, the only problem is i now have air in my lift cylinders again! I just need to be patient to purge it. I'm amazed with just how much control you loose with worn bushings on the pedals.
One thing I sure noticed too, was how much easier the foot pedals were to control the loader once everything was lubed. At least I credit it more to that, but I did tighten up the slack in the pivots too. Pedals should have been made to grease and with wider pin to boss contact.
Ken

Latest posts