snow plow or snow bucket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

djphelan01

I'm new here so I apologize if this has been asked over and over again. I have a Bobcat S185 and I will be using it to clear snow at my house. I have no experience with a skidsteer clearing snow so I wasn't sure if a snow plow is better or a straight bucket. All I have for it right now is a toothed bucket so I will be buying one or the other. My driveway is about 700 feet long. Do you also put chains on all 4 wheels or can I get by with just 2 wheels. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

frogfarmer

I have used both and prefer the plow. My plow is 7ft and has power angle it will move snow much faster than my 68" bucket. I have not tried chains but use my OTT tracks when I clear gravel drives and standand tires on sealed asphalt(I have two machines). The tires work well on asphalt and leave no damage when everything is done. A standard plow for a truck can be adapted for skid use and they are cheap if you have time to look.

Mr_C

I have used both and prefer the plow. My plow is 7ft and has power angle it will move snow much faster than my 68" bucket. I have not tried chains but use my OTT tracks when I clear gravel drives and standand tires on sealed asphalt(I have two machines). The tires work well on asphalt and leave no damage when everything is done. A standard plow for a truck can be adapted for skid use and they are cheap if you have time to look.
I don't have the experience that a lot of guys here do... My experience is strictly removing snow from my farm and my relatives. I do most of my snow removal now with a 9' v-blade on my truck. I have a 8ft snow bucket for my skidsteer and use that to move snow piles when it gets too deep. I don't have chains and have bald tires, but they work surprisingly good in the snow. I would say that the blade would definitely be faster for moving snow, but much more limited if you get a lot of snow. If you get big drifts, have limited areas to push the snow, or get enough snow where the piles really build up then the bucket might be a better plan because of its increased versatility, even if it is a little slower sometimes.

glenbell

Until recently I used to use a plow on my truck....every time I plow throughout the winter though the driveway gets narrower and narrower. Not having a lot of room to the sides of the driveway limits where the snow goes, so it just builds up in windrows and you hope for a warm spell to melt some before you get another big dump. Now I have the skid steer, just use the regular smooth bucket, can pile it 10 feet high and locate those piles anywhere I want..... sold the truck mount plow.

Mr_C

Until recently I used to use a plow on my truck....every time I plow throughout the winter though the driveway gets narrower and narrower. Not having a lot of room to the sides of the driveway limits where the snow goes, so it just builds up in windrows and you hope for a warm spell to melt some before you get another big dump. Now I have the skid steer, just use the regular smooth bucket, can pile it 10 feet high and locate those piles anywhere I want..... sold the truck mount plow.
There is always the issue with snow buildup on the sides, but a V-plow helps with that some. I think I recommend the bucket on a skidsteer, but as you can see from my video I made a couple years back, its hard to beat the efficiency of a good plow. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRRqXEH0zw

Tazza

Staff member
There is always the issue with snow buildup on the sides, but a V-plow helps with that some. I think I recommend the bucket on a skidsteer, but as you can see from my video I made a couple years back, its hard to beat the efficiency of a good plow. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRRqXEH0zw
hehehe nice!

Kermode

hehehe nice!
For snow removal, I run two S185's. One with a 8' snow bucket and one with a 9' angle plow. The angle plow is great for long driveways but for big parking lots the bucket wins hands down. For your application I would recommend buying a normal 72" smooth bucket, then you can use it in the summer too. As for chains, your choice. If you need them, chain up the back tires only. I haven't found anything yet that I couldn't push with one set of chains. I never run chains unless the temperature rises to just below freezing and the snow becomes slippery. Chains on a skidsteer are hard on tires and even harder on chains.

remley44

For snow removal, I run two S185's. One with a 8' snow bucket and one with a 9' angle plow. The angle plow is great for long driveways but for big parking lots the bucket wins hands down. For your application I would recommend buying a normal 72" smooth bucket, then you can use it in the summer too. As for chains, your choice. If you need them, chain up the back tires only. I haven't found anything yet that I couldn't push with one set of chains. I never run chains unless the temperature rises to just below freezing and the snow becomes slippery. Chains on a skidsteer are hard on tires and even harder on chains.
I am going to purchase a virnig v plow for winter for plowing my development. It has a gradual steep hill and was wondering how large my s-185 would handle? cody

skidsteer.ca

I am going to purchase a virnig v plow for winter for plowing my development. It has a gradual steep hill and was wondering how large my s-185 would handle? cody
The plow is definitely faster, less trail off to clean up, with the bucket your always going back to pickup what trailed off the sides. Also at the pile you have to dump it so that takes time. Plus a blade offers a trip edge so you can plow at full speed without fear. Chain up the rear if you have traction problems.

Remley
I run a 10 ft straight blade on the same machine (and my LS160 to) with chains on the rear. Our snows are generally dry and less then 12" per storm. Never had to go back to the bucket yet for lack of power. My yard is large however and I have plenty of room to maneuver.
Weights of the V plows vary between 1070 and 1370lb,
http://virnigmfg.com/docs/SBVweb10.pdf
so your loader will carry any of them so its more a matter of what fits your yard and how deep your snow gets. A 8ft would likely be the recommended size but I feel you could handle more unless your snow is wet or you get large dumps.
Can I quote you on these?
ken at skidsteer.ca

remley44

The plow is definitely faster, less trail off to clean up, with the bucket your always going back to pickup what trailed off the sides. Also at the pile you have to dump it so that takes time. Plus a blade offers a trip edge so you can plow at full speed without fear. Chain up the rear if you have traction problems.

Remley
I run a 10 ft straight blade on the same machine (and my LS160 to) with chains on the rear. Our snows are generally dry and less then 12" per storm. Never had to go back to the bucket yet for lack of power. My yard is large however and I have plenty of room to maneuver.
Weights of the V plows vary between 1070 and 1370lb,
http://virnigmfg.com/docs/SBVweb10.pdf
so your loader will carry any of them so its more a matter of what fits your yard and how deep your snow gets. A 8ft would likely be the recommended size but I feel you could handle more unless your snow is wet or you get large dumps.
Can I quote you on these?
ken at skidsteer.ca
Sure, shoot me a quote on the sbv72 and sbv84 plus shipping if you would(52728). I can have it delivered at a buisness address. thanks

dozer

Shoot me a email please.
Thanks
Ken at skidsteer.ca at=@ of course
This is an interesting product by a company in ND. I thought about purchasing one because it does solve a couple problems. Until I found out it was about $4000. You can get a snow pusher and bucket for that price. On the upside it does not look overly complicated to make. Sounds like another project for a heated shop winter. :)
Good Luck,
DOZER
http://www.sheyennemfg.com/index.php?p=boxblade

Latest posts