smaller tires with tracks?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I'm looking at running the Mclaren Magnum tracks on my S220 Bobcat for better digging/pushing power in mud and sand. I'm concerned about the driveline wear, loader arm clearance and the weight of the tracks with the machine's limited horsepower in deep mud and sand. What would happen if I switched to 10x16.5 tires instead of the original 12x16.5 and ran the Mclaren Magnums on the smaller tire? Would this save me weight and reduce possible loader arm interference issues? Would a narrow track still be more effective in mud and sand than the original 12x16.5 tires? The Magnum tracks are really thick so I think i would get my original ground clearance back even with the smaller tires. We would be running 100% of the time with the tracks on in our application. Good or bad idea?

farmboy55

That's what I plan to do on my 853. But I need a new set of tires anyway. Maybe the smaller tires will take a liitle stress off of my drive line parts. I'm sure the smaller tracks will give me all the traction I have power for. dennis

skidsteer.ca

10 inch tires with tracks will give you alot more flotation then the 12 inch tire because you gain all the area between the tires.
If you concerned about weight, consider our tracks from www.tracksplus.com they weight around 550 lbs per set instead of 8 to 900. They require 2 1/4" boom clearance and 3" of sidewall clearance.
Measurement guide here http://www.tracksplus.com/forms/new/MeasGuide.pdf
Most of our customers find they can run our tracks for under $1 per hour. You will thank yourself the day you change your first flat (for the reduced weight) and evey day you use them. Mine stay on all year to, and there really is no comparing tracks to tires.
12 inch tracks for a s220 are $1389.00 plus freight. 10 " would be $1290.00
[email protected]
www.skidsteer.ca