Small Skid Steer Needed for Landscaping

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wazzou

Hi All, I am starting up a landscape installation company, and I wondering if I can get some suggestions for brands and models of skid steers for landscaping tasks. Tasks would include unloading and setting b&b trees and boulders, placing dirt, grading, loading trucks for haul-away, etc. I want the machine to be on the smaller side for maneuverability and easy of transport. I should mention that I am looking at used machines in the $16k and below range. So far I have been looking into: Bobcat S150, S160, S175 Cat 226 Deere 320 Case 40xt I really prefer hand controls only, and so I have been honing in on the Case 40xt, because these are fully controlled by joysticks. I believe the Cats are hand controlled too. But I realize when looking at used, I might not be able to have it all, and in the end reliability/durability probably trumps everything else. In other words I can get used to foot controls probably, if it means overall the machine is superior to most others. What I am looking/hoping for is some advice from folks about which machines in this list are better than others in terms of reliability/durability/cost of ownership. Right now, I am looking at low-hour 04 or 05 Case 40xt machines below $14k. Any thoughts on these or the others I have mentioned? Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
I have an S150 and love it.
I'd be cautions f getting a bobcat with hand controls, they can be a nightmare and expensive to fix if something goes wrong. Bobcat use electronics and servos to control it, others use cables that are pretty well fool proof.
Good luck on whatever model you do get.

OP
OP
W

Wazzou

I have an S150 and love it.
I'd be cautions f getting a bobcat with hand controls, they can be a nightmare and expensive to fix if something goes wrong. Bobcat use electronics and servos to control it, others use cables that are pretty well fool proof.
Good luck on whatever model you do get.
Tazza, Thanks for your comments. On Friday I ended up purchasing a 2002 Bobcat 763, which has foot controls. The machine has low hours and is in excellent shape. In the end I decided that I can deal with the older technology and in trade get a reliable machine at a lower price. Plus my partner will be doing a lot more operating than I will, and he's operated foot control Bobcats for many years.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, Thanks for your comments. On Friday I ended up purchasing a 2002 Bobcat 763, which has foot controls. The machine has low hours and is in excellent shape. In the end I decided that I can deal with the older technology and in trade get a reliable machine at a lower price. Plus my partner will be doing a lot more operating than I will, and he's operated foot control Bobcats for many years.
That is good machine, old enough to be easy to work on without too many electronic gadgets, but new enough for the bugs to have been ironed out from the older models.

CraigClayton

I just bought a used New Holland L125 for doing landscaping on my property. I do not have aux. hydraulics so I am using the manure bucket as my forestry bucket. I am going to put a small mesh barrier on the bucket to keep the branches out of the cab. I pushed all the branches in a large pile that I will run the 14" chain saw through. Then tear this apart and feed the 5" chipper shredder as burning in Southern Ontario even with a permit runs into problems. CraigClayton

Latest posts