Slow Hydraulic Leak 853 bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bkonn

I have a slow hydraulic leak that happens when i run the bobcat for a a couple hours and then let it sit. The fluid is leaking from the rear round port holes on either side. I have lifted the cab and pressure washed the interior. I replaced the hose that comes out of the hydraulic tank and that didn't seem to stop it. I see no visible dripping from any of the hoses. This is frustrating because in about 5 days 5 gallons of hydro fluid is going to be on the ground soaking into the dirt. Is this a leak i won't be able to visibly see leaking? Can I put a dye in the oil to see color better and what kind would i use. The bobcat has 5000 hrs on it. Any help would be appreciated. Brian

mrfixitpaul

It is possible to put dye in the oil and use a blacklight if you can't find the leak. Common leak areas to check are the hydraulic control valve (spool seals), the outlet fitting on the gear pump (sometimes work loose). There are so many hoses and tubes that could possibly be chafed/loose/cracked....I usually run the machine with the cab up and look around with a flashlight, operating functions as much as I feel safe to, to put pressure to the system.

frogfarmer

Sometimes it is very hard to find a leak especially a small one. 5 gallons a week should be able to be spotted. Get the belly pan clean and dry and let it run. A small mirror on a stick will help see around and behind most of the pumps and hoses. With 5000 hours it could be anything; pump seals, valve bodies, hoses, cracked metal lines. Dyes are available but I almost never use them. I have good luck with the wash, dry then inspect method. I use a hot water pressure washer and a gas powered blower for the clean and dry. The blower is good for getting all the little areas that don't like to drain.

OP
OP
B

bkonn

Sometimes it is very hard to find a leak especially a small one. 5 gallons a week should be able to be spotted. Get the belly pan clean and dry and let it run. A small mirror on a stick will help see around and behind most of the pumps and hoses. With 5000 hours it could be anything; pump seals, valve bodies, hoses, cracked metal lines. Dyes are available but I almost never use them. I have good luck with the wash, dry then inspect method. I use a hot water pressure washer and a gas powered blower for the clean and dry. The blower is good for getting all the little areas that don't like to drain.
Thanks guys, by the way can you tell me if there are supposed to be some drain holes on the bottom of the bobcat, its caked with oil and dirt on the bottom and i took the side plates off but the oil and water just seem to collect in bottom and stay there. Thanks, Brian

frogfarmer

Thanks guys, by the way can you tell me if there are supposed to be some drain holes on the bottom of the bobcat, its caked with oil and dirt on the bottom and i took the side plates off but the oil and water just seem to collect in bottom and stay there. Thanks, Brian
There are holes or at least openings but they are the first place the dirt and debris collect and clog solid. Once you find them keep working with the pressure washer until its all clean. Depending on how bad it is it may be very difficult to clean.

Kermode

There are holes or at least openings but they are the first place the dirt and debris collect and clog solid. Once you find them keep working with the pressure washer until its all clean. Depending on how bad it is it may be very difficult to clean.
CHeck for leaks around the ORB fitting on the drive pumps. I had a similar problem on my 853 and and found oil would seep out and down around the pump mounts where it was impossible to see unless you were looking for it. Pulled the ORB fitting, replaced the o-ring and problem solved.

Kerry773

CHeck for leaks around the ORB fitting on the drive pumps. I had a similar problem on my 853 and and found oil would seep out and down around the pump mounts where it was impossible to see unless you were looking for it. Pulled the ORB fitting, replaced the o-ring and problem solved.
I could'nt find my leak either. Finally, tried looking with the lift up and bucket dipped. There she was, at the back of the loader, hoses on either side that supply fluid to lift and bucket were leaking. Only with lift up though.

DR BOBCAT

I am new to this sight but have worked for Bobcat for many years and now am in business for myself for over two. The problem is going to be your carrier seals. If you are continuosly adding oil but not seeing a leak lift your boom up and have an assitant put the proper boom stop in to prevent injury. Now looking at the front of the machine you will see a 1/2" drive plug in the center of your chaincase go ahead and take it out useing a breaker bar or impact gun. If hydraulic fluid poors out of this then the carrier seals are shot. What happens is the fluid is leaking through your drive motors and then through the carriers which are what the drive motors are mounted to. When this happens the chaincase overfills and has no other place to go and enps up leaking around the carriers and/or out of the top cover plates of the chaincase. If the chaincase is not overfilled though then that is not your problem. Let me know what you find. Good luck.