Skid Steer vs CUT

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

parisq

I'm sure old beards have heard this more than a few times but even they were newbies once. I've just purchased a 90 acre farm and need a versatile machine to do a number of things. Although I do have lawn and hayfields, I don't need finish mowing, haying or baling. What I do need is snowplow/throwing, tall, heavy brush clearing, including thick saplings, deep digging (9'+) and some field grading for horse pastures and corral, but not for planting. I had spent most of my time concentrating on compact tractors (Kubota and New Holland 45-60 HP range -- those makes only because there are local dealers to my central Massachusetts location). A New Holland dealer suggested I give the skid steers a look (LS 180), so now I'm a confused newbie starting from scratch. A little help, please.

Tazza

Staff member
You are talking about using it to mow? This has been covered in another thread and everyone pointed out that a skid steer is much slower than a tractor with a slasher on the back. A skid steer would tear the grass up more as it skids to turn and not steer like a tractor does.

OldMachinist

You are talking about using it to mow? This has been covered in another thread and everyone pointed out that a skid steer is much slower than a tractor with a slasher on the back. A skid steer would tear the grass up more as it skids to turn and not steer like a tractor does.
I own and maintain 70 acres and have found that you need machines that are specific for the chore at hand. There really isn't a one size fits all. Nothing I have is close to new and some of it is older than me but with a little maintenence they do everything I need. I have a Ford 860 with a FEL, brushhog mower, rear grader blade and cultivator, a Allis Chalmers CA with a Woods belly mower, a Bobcat 453F and many other smaller internal combustion engine powered machines and tools. I find the need to trench and dig deep every once and a while and then I just rent a machine. You should decide what you'll do the most and start from there. From sound of your post you need a tractor like I have 45-60hp, 3 point brush mower and grader blade.

OP
OP
P

parisq

I own and maintain 70 acres and have found that you need machines that are specific for the chore at hand. There really isn't a one size fits all. Nothing I have is close to new and some of it is older than me but with a little maintenence they do everything I need. I have a Ford 860 with a FEL, brushhog mower, rear grader blade and cultivator, a Allis Chalmers CA with a Woods belly mower, a Bobcat 453F and many other smaller internal combustion engine powered machines and tools. I find the need to trench and dig deep every once and a while and then I just rent a machine. You should decide what you'll do the most and start from there. From sound of your post you need a tractor like I have 45-60hp, 3 point brush mower and grader blade.
I've pretty much come to that conclusion myself. Thanks all.

Latest posts