Skid Steer and Cedar Clearing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidder_211

Hello Everyone, I just had a quick question. I'm looking at purchasing a skid steer along with a tree shear. I have a question regarding the capacity of the skid steer. It is rated at about 1800lbs and the sheer weighs about 1300 lbs. This leaves 500 lbs to pick up a cedar tree. Is this enough? Other secondary questions: 1) The shear i am looking at is non-rotating, is a rotating shear better? 2) We have alot of rocks and i am concerned that the tires could be punctured. They sale solid tires. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they worth the money? 3) Any other helpful hints or information?

ReRide

I hope others respond. My wife and I just bought a 2011 S650 Bobcat for cedar tree clearing. I plan to buy a non rotating shear, about 800 pounds. We were originally going to buy an S185 or similar machine. We ran across the S650 which was in pristine condition with low hours, and went for that one. We don't really need the extra capacity machine, but I compare it to carrying two five gallon buckets of water. I can do that, but how far do I want to carry them? The extra width will help with stability on hillsides, and the extra capacity will allow us to pull smaller trees out by the roots, if we end up buying an attachment to do that. But an 1800 pound rated machine should easily handle the 1300 pound shear, and you do have the extra 500 pounds for the trees, and that should work fine. I'll let you know in the spring how ours works, we won't be shearing our trees till spring.

Terexnorthfl

First, it would depend on how big the tree are to determine if you can use the shear and hold the tree. I always say you can't have to much. Unless of coarse it's to much weight for the machine. Also, solid tires are good but they take all the give to the tire. In other words there is no cushion it's very rough ride. If you concerned about punctures you could have the tires filled with foam. This would make them flatproof and still have some cushion. Also, you could try over the tire tracks. These will help in a series of ways. They will allow for better flotation if you get into a muddy situation and protect them from sharp rocks. Loegering tracks are a good brand. If, you are still looking for a machine try finding one that is a track machine. Ie Asv or Terex. A track machine is more stable than a tired machine. Also look down the road a bit, right now you you need a tree shear. But what about when your done with the trees. Are you going to sell or put it to work? What attachments would be needed then? Can your machine run a mulcher or brushcutter. Just food for thought.