SJC (selectable joystick control) repair

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobbie-g

My Bobcat's right-hand SJC control has a bad control. 2005 T180. It's the thumb toggle "switch" that applies forward and reverse flow to the aux hydraulics. I felt it click slightly today, and now it sometimes will barely do flow in one direction, but will do full flow in the other direction. Few minutes later, the symptom has flipped to the other direction. When the finger toggle is pulled, I get full power and flow, so I'm certain the problem is in the thumb control itself, and the hydraulics are fine. I'm guessing it's a mechanical problem under the toggle. Of course, Bobcat only sells the entire hand control for $300. But, there is a screw on the front of the handle that most likely allows for disassembly of the handle and access to its guts. Anyone ever tried such a feat? I tinker with electronics a lot and am very comfy trying this, but I'd hate to open it up and hear little springs and detents hitting the floor. Should I remove the handle and do this on the bench, or is it really simple to get inside it? Anyone have a broken one I can practice on? Tnx, :) ---RC

Tazza

Staff member
Not sure you will be able to get it open. They are semi-sealed to keep dirt out.
The other way of looking at it, if it doesn't work, you know that at worst it will cost you a new handle....

OP
OP
bobbie-g

bobbie-g

Not sure you will be able to get it open. They are semi-sealed to keep dirt out.
The other way of looking at it, if it doesn't work, you know that at worst it will cost you a new handle....
OK, gang, success story here: I removed the complete SJC hand control and stick (simple, just two bolts/nuts and one connector under the cab). No need to unbolt the gimbal assembly (left-right/fwd-back) from its pedestal mount. The SJC hand control itself has three Torx screws that hold the front and back together. Once out, the back of the control will separate from the front. A couple of slip tabs on the bottom allow it to slide up and completely separate from the front. Three teensy Torx screws allow the electronics (completely encapsulated, nothing to repair there) to be removed from the "front panel" where all the switches are located. A rubber cover protects all the pushbutton switches, and is easily pulled off. The central left-right control, strangely enough, is not weather protected. Hence, my problem. The l/r control is actually a rotating magnet, which acts through the encapsulation layer on the front of the electronics. In my case, some dirt had made its way into the area where the magnet rotates and would displace the magnet slightly from its intended operational area. As the magnet was moved away from the electronics, its effect was diminished and the hydraulic flow was reduced. Cleaned out the junk, reassembled, and worked as new. I now run with a cheesy plastic bag over each SJC control to keep out the dirt. I'll bet you don't see that in any Bobcat literature. :) ---RC

Tazza

Staff member
OK, gang, success story here: I removed the complete SJC hand control and stick (simple, just two bolts/nuts and one connector under the cab). No need to unbolt the gimbal assembly (left-right/fwd-back) from its pedestal mount. The SJC hand control itself has three Torx screws that hold the front and back together. Once out, the back of the control will separate from the front. A couple of slip tabs on the bottom allow it to slide up and completely separate from the front. Three teensy Torx screws allow the electronics (completely encapsulated, nothing to repair there) to be removed from the "front panel" where all the switches are located. A rubber cover protects all the pushbutton switches, and is easily pulled off. The central left-right control, strangely enough, is not weather protected. Hence, my problem. The l/r control is actually a rotating magnet, which acts through the encapsulation layer on the front of the electronics. In my case, some dirt had made its way into the area where the magnet rotates and would displace the magnet slightly from its intended operational area. As the magnet was moved away from the electronics, its effect was diminished and the hydraulic flow was reduced. Cleaned out the junk, reassembled, and worked as new. I now run with a cheesy plastic bag over each SJC control to keep out the dirt. I'll bet you don't see that in any Bobcat literature. :) ---RC
Thats great news, i wonder how many people throw away good controls when something so simple causes them to bind up.