SGX60 stump grinder

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

KOG

Need torque spec for spindle nut (1-1/4") on motor shaft. Just put a seal in it that barbed wire took out. Managed to get other bolt/nut torque from Bobcat Atlanta, but even they couldn't find the torque for the spindle nut, and they tried. I'll call Fargo tomorrow if no one here knows.

SkidRoe

Standard max torque for an 1-1/4" Grade 5 fastener is in the neighborhood of 1100 ft.lb, if that helps at all.
Cheers - SR

bobbie-g

Standard max torque for an 1-1/4" Grade 5 fastener is in the neighborhood of 1100 ft.lb, if that helps at all.
Cheers - SR
On my mower blade carrier which has about a 1-1/2" shaft, I used a 4' pipe on a socket wrench and pulled it up at about 150 lbs (about all I can lift). That calculates out to about 600 ft lbs. But what do I know..... :) ---Bobbie-G

OP
OP
K

KOG

Cheers - SR
Unfortunately, that doesn't help. This is a keyed, tapered shaft deal. Too much toque would make it nearly impossible to remove the hub next time. And there are no markings indicating whether this is grade 5. I've gotten a call back from Bobcat engineering and they don't know yet.

Hotrod1830

Unfortunately, that doesn't help. This is a keyed, tapered shaft deal. Too much toque would make it nearly impossible to remove the hub next time. And there are no markings indicating whether this is grade 5. I've gotten a call back from Bobcat engineering and they don't know yet.
See if this helps.
http://www.woodsequipment.com/files/Products/Manuals/MAN0541.pdf
150ft/lbs should be in the ballpark even if woods doesnt make yours.

Hotrod1830

See if this helps.
http://www.woodsequipment.com/files/Products/Manuals/MAN0541.pdf
150ft/lbs should be in the ballpark even if woods doesnt make yours.
ALso found that loader parts source offers a motor for that grinder. It does NOT look like the one in the woods service manual I posted.
Send LPS a message and see if the motor manufacturer lists a torque spec on there unit.

OP
OP
K

KOG

ALso found that loader parts source offers a motor for that grinder. It does NOT look like the one in the woods service manual I posted.
Send LPS a message and see if the motor manufacturer lists a torque spec on there unit.
That's the best I've heard so far. Bobcat sells an SG60 (with their name on it) as well as the SGX60 I've got. Still nothing back from Bobcat.

OP
OP
K

KOG

That's the best I've heard so far. Bobcat sells an SG60 (with their name on it) as well as the SGX60 I've got. Still nothing back from Bobcat.
I'll call Woods to see if their SG60 just happens to be the Bobcat SG60 and if they make the SGX for Bobcat. Bobcat was sort of evasive about giving me a phone number for the factory and told me it might take a couple of days to get the info requested. That sounds like they might be using another supplier.

OP
OP
K

KOG

I'll call Woods to see if their SG60 just happens to be the Bobcat SG60 and if they make the SGX for Bobcat. Bobcat was sort of evasive about giving me a phone number for the factory and told me it might take a couple of days to get the info requested. That sounds like they might be using another supplier.
Time on this site seems a little weird. Two hours later than Eastern Standard. ?? I'm at 7:57 right now.

OP
OP
K

KOG

Time on this site seems a little weird. Two hours later than Eastern Standard. ?? I'm at 7:57 right now.
Woods does not make the Bobcat, but they both list SG40 and SG60 models. The 60 has the same type of 5 ea 1/2" stud hub mounted on a tapered keyed shaft with a castellated nut that Bobcat uses. One wonders---.

Hotrod1830

Woods does not make the Bobcat, but they both list SG40 and SG60 models. The 60 has the same type of 5 ea 1/2" stud hub mounted on a tapered keyed shaft with a castellated nut that Bobcat uses. One wonders---.
It is possible they both use the same motors.
Look around on your motor and see if you can find a name plate with a model number or serial number. Do a search on it and see if you come up with anything. Chances are, several manufacturers use the same motor in different applications. Same size tapered shaft and same castle nut would be the same torque, regardless of what is bolted to it.