setting rpms

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mclark

I have a 743 with a V2203. I want to check the rpms as I bought this motor on ebay and they didn't know what the rpms were set at. I know it's set at the speed control lever ( the bolts are wired) How do I check the speed that it set at ? Thanks..Mike

Tazza

Staff member
You will need a tacho for it, you can get ones that use a laser and reflective tape, stick the tape on the front pulley. Its factory set, you should not need to alter it. It will set the low and high end with those bolts. If its working well, i'd honestly leave it alone. You don't want it to possibly over rev and fail.

Fishfiles

You will need a tacho for it, you can get ones that use a laser and reflective tape, stick the tape on the front pulley. Its factory set, you should not need to alter it. It will set the low and high end with those bolts. If its working well, i'd honestly leave it alone. You don't want it to possibly over rev and fail.
Tazza , do have one of them laser tachs and how good do they work and what are they worth , I am still old school with a hand held spinner with the rubber tip you stick into the end of the shaft and sometimes have to use a mirror to read it on the east / west set ups ------------------

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza , do have one of them laser tachs and how good do they work and what are they worth , I am still old school with a hand held spinner with the rubber tip you stick into the end of the shaft and sometimes have to use a mirror to read it on the east / west set ups ------------------
Hey Fishfiles, i bought it off ebay for about $40, it works pretty well. I actually used it to work out i had a drive motor issue. I used the reflective tape on the wheel rim to measure the speed on both sides and a good known machine to see what speeds they were doing, as one side was faster than the other. Long story short, the new geroler i bought was 15 CID instead of the factory 9.9 CID causing it to rotate 50% slower. If i didn't have it, i'd never have known for sure. The part was exchanged though, problem solved.
I think at WOT it was giving 600 rpm on the correct motor and 400 on the wrong one. I may never need the tacho again, but for that one job, it paid for its self. I did use it on a Kubota i rebuilt and had issues with.

OP
OP
M

mclark

Thanks Tazza, I just want to check it out it seems to be a little high. Are the rpms on a V2203 and a 1702 the same ( 2800 rpms)? I'll be checking ebay for a laser tacho too.

Rojas

Thanks Tazza, I just want to check it out it seems to be a little high. Are the rpms on a V2203 and a 1702 the same ( 2800 rpms)? I'll be checking ebay for a laser tacho too.
The one we use is a combo unit with the laser and rubber contact tips. We almost never use the contact method as the laser/photocell works 99.9 percent of the time. It can be used from several feet away. Accurate and no issues with calibration in the couple of years we've had it.

Tazza

Staff member
The one we use is a combo unit with the laser and rubber contact tips. We almost never use the contact method as the laser/photocell works 99.9 percent of the time. It can be used from several feet away. Accurate and no issues with calibration in the couple of years we've had it.
I'm pretty sure the V1702 and V2203 are the same speeds, but i'm not 100% sure on that though. I should have the details on them at home though, i'll do my best to remember to look it up and post it tonight.

OldMachinist

I'm pretty sure the V1702 and V2203 are the same speeds, but i'm not 100% sure on that though. I should have the details on them at home though, i'll do my best to remember to look it up and post it tonight.
The RPMs are the same on those two engines.