SERVICE MANUALS/ASV MD70

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lancem

ha,i hope someone can help me here . i aquired a asv md70. 1300 hrs .good condition . needed final drive work and some tlc. tracks are a issue. RUBBERTRACKS seem to be very helpful and the O.E.M. stuff seems a bit costly[most likely the best]i want to use the machine to bulid igloo's in the winter up here and plow snow the rest of the time . any imput on tracks would be wonderful ,the cash for them is trying to escape so i must act quick. my sunstrand tech recomends NOT using mulitviscosity oil in hydro and a aw46[winter weather requires warming prior to use ]. ????????? a six way blade would be great i think ,any input would be helpful . thanks.

Jeffscarstrucks

Hi, I just bought an md70 myself and am learning some quick lessons. If you go to the ASV website and get to their documents section you can download the parts manual for that machine. The operator and maintenance manual is not available for download but is available through a dealer for about 35 bucks. As far as I can tell this is the only printed info out there. I did talk to a couple of guys from ASV for about an hour before I bought my machine and they where very friendy and helpful. I have the tracks off now and it seems to be a straight forward and simple set up. My unit came from a bankruptcy so maintenance was not on the books. I am doing the pillow block bearings on the non drive end axels tommorrow and also have the drive motor on one side apart (a first for me). The output shaft bearings on the Danfoss drive motor on the left side where bad and wore the seal to the point that the motor was just leaking. (way too much to go into here but I have numbers if you need them). I would be glad to share my ongoing lessons with you on the phone as I don't compute very often. I do like this little machine and it has become some what of a challenge. I am looking at redoing the roller drive housing and seals before I put the tracks back on. I think that the small roller wheels can be serviced a couple at a time while the tracks are on. One thing that I have learned through my research is that a tracked machine is very expensive to operate in a buisness setting but I am looking forward to having mine as a personal machine. I mean doesn't every land owner NEED one? But really, I could not afford an undercarriage service on one of these if I had to pay for it. Where are you located, I am in the St Louis Mo USA area. JEFF

OP
OP
L

lancem

Hi, I just bought an md70 myself and am learning some quick lessons. If you go to the ASV website and get to their documents section you can download the parts manual for that machine. The operator and maintenance manual is not available for download but is available through a dealer for about 35 bucks. As far as I can tell this is the only printed info out there. I did talk to a couple of guys from ASV for about an hour before I bought my machine and they where very friendy and helpful. I have the tracks off now and it seems to be a straight forward and simple set up. My unit came from a bankruptcy so maintenance was not on the books. I am doing the pillow block bearings on the non drive end axels tommorrow and also have the drive motor on one side apart (a first for me). The output shaft bearings on the Danfoss drive motor on the left side where bad and wore the seal to the point that the motor was just leaking. (way too much to go into here but I have numbers if you need them). I would be glad to share my ongoing lessons with you on the phone as I don't compute very often. I do like this little machine and it has become some what of a challenge. I am looking at redoing the roller drive housing and seals before I put the tracks back on. I think that the small roller wheels can be serviced a couple at a time while the tracks are on. One thing that I have learned through my research is that a tracked machine is very expensive to operate in a buisness setting but I am looking forward to having mine as a personal machine. I mean doesn't every land owner NEED one? But really, I could not afford an undercarriage service on one of these if I had to pay for it. Where are you located, I am in the St Louis Mo USA area. JEFF
hello jeff,thanks for writing. i am up here in canada.about half an hour north of toronto ,in port perry. as for the manuals i got both parts and operators/maintaince . the maintaince manual is goog but if i eas a asv mechanic in a dealership andthats all they supplied i would run very fast in the opposite direction. a real service manual is invaluable to all machines. its a must . i am in the forklift bussiness and i insist all my customers buy /demand a complete service manual when they buy new trucks. as for my unit . well!!! tracks off and off to the dump. pillow blocks yes , remove all rubber wheels and repack with synthetic waterproof grease, both drive motors off and shaft seals,the bearing shafts have slight groovs so sealing will not be 100% but cost is a factor now . new drive chains due to streach. the drive sprockets are off and new bearings $$$$$$$ and seals and excluder seals. hoses to be replaced when $$$$ is in hand . replaced all filters,the two hydrulic filters,the large one and the one on the left side half way down the motor mounted to the body are costly. drained the hydrulic oil and will refill with aw46. i contacted a sunstrand tech[thats the pump manfacturer] and he recomends aw46 and to warm the unit up good in the winter before use . he said he has seen many failures due to to thin of oil and heat . . i am only using the machine for personal use and am a bit to fussy with details. it must be clean to operate well and i dont believe in abusing the eq. cost to much to fix. mine was very dirty in the engine belly pan area and it took a bit to get it clean but now its sparkling and alot easier to monitor. i removed every cover and hoods and cab walls .will clean all and assemble. ok so im a bit sick ,but what else am i going to do while its raining. as for the numbers on parts im good ,and if i can help you ,you need only ask . i would be happy to help if i can . i am going to order the new tracks next week and that point that should put me in the hole deep enough for a while. hope the old lady does not catch on . . i would like to aquire a snow blade so i can have some fun this winter and make some money to pay off some of the repairs. are you using yours around the house to dig holes and play in the dirt. its just like being a kid again with expenseve tonka toys. i think that the cost of the undercarriage is high due to the people that drive them usualy dont have to pay to fix them so they beat the s--t out of them with no repercusions. thats what it is like in the lift truck bussiness .never the less its great to hear from you and i thank you for the responce. i hope we can help each other out with any problems. my email is [email protected] talk to ya soon jeff. thanks for taking the time to type. im not to good with the comp and typing so pardon the mistakes. cheers.!!!!

Jeffscarstrucks

Hi Lance,Sorry I haven't replied but I seem to go to the farm every evening to work on my machine. I do have the SKF numbers for the drive roller bearing and seal and the output shaft on the drive motor of you need them. It was much cheaper than buying from the dealer. I also have the correct number for the seal excluder on the drive roller for the 1 3/4 inch shaft. It is the flat teflon washer that goes on before the tapered bearing adapter. If you look at your parts manual on page 30 and you see that it shows a two row drive chain but you have a single row chain then many of the numbers are not right for your machine. The 2 row used a 2 inch shaft on the drive roller. The part numbers in the book refer to that unit so double check when working in the chain case area. My machine is the older one and is easily identified by the pillow block on the inside of the drive roller instead of the flanged bearing shown in the book. I still haven't got the front pillows from my parts store but IF they finally do come in right I will have the BCA numbers as well (for 56 bucks). I am looking forward to getting this thing together. I found some original ASV sales brochures on ebay the other day and bought them for $15. They show the attachments that where available and the different driving configurations...really cool. I can send you some copies if you would like. I do a little drag car stuff but not this year as I have other real life business going on. Some of my racing buds ask why we are not out this year so I tell them I am playing with trucks and tractors instead...back to the tonka thing...and we laugh! Anyway, sorry to go so long, I am off to St Louis Bobcat for an open house with their traveling corporate museum and maybe a free lunch. JEFF PS If you need those numbers call me at 618 444 8388 PSS What brand of grease is it that you are talking about for the small wheels?

OP
OP
L

lancem

Hi Lance,Sorry I haven't replied but I seem to go to the farm every evening to work on my machine. I do have the SKF numbers for the drive roller bearing and seal and the output shaft on the drive motor of you need them. It was much cheaper than buying from the dealer. I also have the correct number for the seal excluder on the drive roller for the 1 3/4 inch shaft. It is the flat teflon washer that goes on before the tapered bearing adapter. If you look at your parts manual on page 30 and you see that it shows a two row drive chain but you have a single row chain then many of the numbers are not right for your machine. The 2 row used a 2 inch shaft on the drive roller. The part numbers in the book refer to that unit so double check when working in the chain case area. My machine is the older one and is easily identified by the pillow block on the inside of the drive roller instead of the flanged bearing shown in the book. I still haven't got the front pillows from my parts store but IF they finally do come in right I will have the BCA numbers as well (for 56 bucks). I am looking forward to getting this thing together. I found some original ASV sales brochures on ebay the other day and bought them for $15. They show the attachments that where available and the different driving configurations...really cool. I can send you some copies if you would like. I do a little drag car stuff but not this year as I have other real life business going on. Some of my racing buds ask why we are not out this year so I tell them I am playing with trucks and tractors instead...back to the tonka thing...and we laugh! Anyway, sorry to go so long, I am off to St Louis Bobcat for an open house with their traveling corporate museum and maybe a free lunch. JEFF PS If you need those numbers call me at 618 444 8388 PSS What brand of grease is it that you are talking about for the small wheels?
HI JEFF, HOPE ALL IS GOOD . the grease that i use on everything and in bussiness has been the same for years and i know it is a great product it is made by Kendal /super blue L-427 LITHIUM GREASE. it has given me fantastic service and i use it for everything. my machine has the double roller chain in the final drives and yes ,has the 2" shaft. i bought a pair of excluder seals from asv as i had no numbers at the time .they are a cone shaped rubber seal configuration . i am just waiting for the correct tapered bearing adaptors ,i orderer the wrong ones the first time . at that point i will be able to reassemble the machine . i got my new tracks on friday.whoo hooo. the tread is totaly different than the oem ones but the cost savings were inportant. the asv original tracks were about 2000$ more for the pair. i think they will be just fine and seeing as its only for personal use ,they should be fine . they are quite beefie. i put new pillow blocks on mine to and they cost me about 54 dollars ea. it would be great to see any brouchers you got and the info in them. got to run here jeff ,the girlfriend is being needie again . be well and i will catch you soon. lance

Jeffscarstrucks

HI JEFF, HOPE ALL IS GOOD . the grease that i use on everything and in bussiness has been the same for years and i know it is a great product it is made by Kendal /super blue L-427 LITHIUM GREASE. it has given me fantastic service and i use it for everything. my machine has the double roller chain in the final drives and yes ,has the 2" shaft. i bought a pair of excluder seals from asv as i had no numbers at the time .they are a cone shaped rubber seal configuration . i am just waiting for the correct tapered bearing adaptors ,i orderer the wrong ones the first time . at that point i will be able to reassemble the machine . i got my new tracks on friday.whoo hooo. the tread is totaly different than the oem ones but the cost savings were inportant. the asv original tracks were about 2000$ more for the pair. i think they will be just fine and seeing as its only for personal use ,they should be fine . they are quite beefie. i put new pillow blocks on mine to and they cost me about 54 dollars ea. it would be great to see any brouchers you got and the info in them. got to run here jeff ,the girlfriend is being needie again . be well and i will catch you soon. lance
Hi. Thanks for the grease info, I will see if I can find it locally. I did find that ASV is about a third the price on the bearings and seals for the small wheels as compared to the aftermarket, I was surprised at that. I decided to get to my two worst small wheels while I am waiting for other stuff to come in. I am still a lttle confused on what hyd oil to use. The asv service tech told me to use Cat 10w hyd oil, the asv dealer here said to use the asv brand product which is a 5w20. He said that the controls are jerky and slow with anything more than the Asv product. He said that their standard hyd oil is John Deere 10 (their main dealership line) and that it did not work well in customer machine and that the problems went away with a switch to the Asv product. I am more inclined to go with your recomendation by sundstrand , 15w oil is the rating given aw46 but will it be responsive in the control circuit of the machine? Too much serious stuff for now...shoot me a mail at [email protected] and I will scan in the brochures and send 'em to you. JEFF

powermatt

Hi. Thanks for the grease info, I will see if I can find it locally. I did find that ASV is about a third the price on the bearings and seals for the small wheels as compared to the aftermarket, I was surprised at that. I decided to get to my two worst small wheels while I am waiting for other stuff to come in. I am still a lttle confused on what hyd oil to use. The asv service tech told me to use Cat 10w hyd oil, the asv dealer here said to use the asv brand product which is a 5w20. He said that the controls are jerky and slow with anything more than the Asv product. He said that their standard hyd oil is John Deere 10 (their main dealership line) and that it did not work well in customer machine and that the problems went away with a switch to the Asv product. I am more inclined to go with your recomendation by sundstrand , 15w oil is the rating given aw46 but will it be responsive in the control circuit of the machine? Too much serious stuff for now...shoot me a mail at [email protected] and I will scan in the brochures and send 'em to you. JEFF
I Have had my MD70 for a little over a year. For most of that it has been in my shop up on blocks. The transmission Was the first to go. That is now back and ready to install. The shop is telling me that my drive motors are bad and need to be rebuilt. It looks like you guys may have been down this road already so I am hoping you have a better source for for the parts to rebuild these motors. I am extremely greatful for any help you can offer. I have alread replaced the front pillow blocks and rear seals and bearings. I was able to find these parts at a very low cost. If anyone needs this info please feel free to contact me. Thanks, Matt

Tazza

Staff member
I Have had my MD70 for a little over a year. For most of that it has been in my shop up on blocks. The transmission Was the first to go. That is now back and ready to install. The shop is telling me that my drive motors are bad and need to be rebuilt. It looks like you guys may have been down this road already so I am hoping you have a better source for for the parts to rebuild these motors. I am extremely greatful for any help you can offer. I have alread replaced the front pillow blocks and rear seals and bearings. I was able to find these parts at a very low cost. If anyone needs this info please feel free to contact me. Thanks, Matt
I get all my motor and pumps parts from http://loaderpartssource.com/
Never hurts to ask if they can help, the worst they can say is sorry, we can't help with that.
Good luck!

OP
OP
L

lancem

your pump rebuilders are correct, if the pump did fail (bits and pieces floating around in the system)thanthe motors will have suffered some damage. i only had to reseal mine due to they were leaking abit out the shaft. rebuilding the motors is not hard,if the internals are worn or scored,they must be replaced,if you have spent the $$$$$ to repair the drive pumps than not doing the motors properly will waste lot of money. if you chech with asv they may have service kit for the motor. these machines are old now and i dont think asv/terrex would rap you to bad on old stock.aside from rekiting then yourself ,it may be hard to do it cheaply. i live in canada and nothing is cheap. if you have the motor numbers,i think i remember them being char-lynn motors. i could check with my hyd shop to see the deal. my md70 has been a dream ,i went through it very throughly when i got it and spent some serious cash ,it was worth it . one note,when your done and it is time to refill the pump oil tank, buy QUALITY OIL.oil is rated by one scale by service hours. the higher the better the quality. i used a 7000hr 68 weight. great for the summer ,in the winter you must ease it to temp. that was what i was told to use by the char-lynn tech. never the less do it right the first time . it costs twice as much to do it twice!!!!