Self level on a 863

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

trotter

I hope this is not a stupid question but I have been wondering so will ask anyway., I have an 863 F series Turbo. Love the machine. The bucket does not have a self level setting like on a case backhoe. Was that something that was ever offered on a 863? I would like to have an indicator on the boom when I have something overhead and can't get a good look at a bale spear with a round bale on it. Just curious.

SkidRoe

Our 773 has self leveling - not a big fan. The bucket always seems to level at the most inopportune times. I would sooner level it myself.
Just my $0.02 - SR

OP
OP
T

trotter

Our 773 has self leveling - not a big fan. The bucket always seems to level at the most inopportune times. I would sooner level it myself.
Just my $0.02 - SR
Thank you SkidRoe. Only time I would like it is when I have a round bale on my bale spear. When I am triple stacking the bale, you're blind as to your position. Going in straight would be handy and make getting the bale off easier. As I have never had it I do fine without it but was curious if it was an option or a retrofit item on the 863

walio123

Thank you SkidRoe. Only time I would like it is when I have a round bale on my bale spear. When I am triple stacking the bale, you're blind as to your position. Going in straight would be handy and make getting the bale off easier. As I have never had it I do fine without it but was curious if it was an option or a retrofit item on the 863
Уou can put self level valve but it will not be inexpensive and will not do much work.Easier way is to welded iron long about 60-70 cm on top of bale spear aligned with the back of bale spear.Pin to tip string with a weight at the other end . String will work as a plumb line . So you will always know how much you tipped the bale spear.

OP
OP
T

trotter

Уou can put self level valve but it will not be inexpensive and will not do much work.Easier way is to welded iron long about 60-70 cm on top of bale spear aligned with the back of bale spear.Pin to tip string with a weight at the other end . String will work as a plumb line . So you will always know how much you tipped the bale spear.
Thats as pretty cool idea. I might give that a shot. I was also thinking of tacking on a couple of pieces of metal so that when they come together it is roughly level. Thanks for the neat idea.

Tazza

Staff member
Thats as pretty cool idea. I might give that a shot. I was also thinking of tacking on a couple of pieces of metal so that when they come together it is roughly level. Thanks for the neat idea.
The simple ways work pretty well.
I was amazed at the use od a plum bob that i saw a few years ago, i never would have though of it. My parents had their power lines replaced, they removed the old poles and wires, laid them down, drilled the holes out, put in new poles. To get the poles straight, i'd have used a level on the side, they stood there and held up a plum bob and used his eye to make sure they matched. Simple yet very effective.

walio123

The simple ways work pretty well.
I was amazed at the use od a plum bob that i saw a few years ago, i never would have though of it. My parents had their power lines replaced, they removed the old poles and wires, laid them down, drilled the holes out, put in new poles. To get the poles straight, i'd have used a level on the side, they stood there and held up a plum bob and used his eye to make sure they matched. Simple yet very effective.
2 years ago I had to do 600 wooden fence post. I decided to stuck them in the ground with drop hamerr. To be able to tilt the posts i weld tube at the bottom of the hammer. on the pipe i weld 2 meters long chain/ height which should stop stuck pole. / Chains acted as a plumb line and a unit of height. Work was done for four days with a Bobcat 873 and one person assistant .

OP
OP
T

trotter

2 years ago I had to do 600 wooden fence post. I decided to stuck them in the ground with drop hamerr. To be able to tilt the posts i weld tube at the bottom of the hammer. on the pipe i weld 2 meters long chain/ height which should stop stuck pole. / Chains acted as a plumb line and a unit of height. Work was done for four days with a Bobcat 873 and one person assistant .
Great idea on the plumb bob approach wether on setting fence posts or eyeballing Poles. They used them to build the Pyramids didn't they? They have held up pretty well.

Flip57

Great idea on the plumb bob approach wether on setting fence posts or eyeballing Poles. They used them to build the Pyramids didn't they? They have held up pretty well.
I ran an old terex loader back in the 70's that had a small rod that ran along the boom which was attached to the bucket on one end and had a pointer at the other end. The pointer slid along a narrow plate with hash marks that indicated the position of the bucket. The plate could be seen from the drivers seat. I don't know how you would adjust for boom height but I suppose you would get a feel for it over time.

Latest posts