seized track

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lindalove

One of the tracks on my compact excavator has seized and will not move. There is nothing visible preventing the track from turning. What can cause the track on one side to stop moving? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
Did the drive motor lock up? or even the carrier (if it runs one) could have chewed up a gear.

Fishfiles

A good place to start would be to drain the planetary oil from the drive motor assembly into a clean container and see if it is full of specks or chunks of metal , use a magnet ---- could have broke the sun gear shaft or the bearings of the gear went out and shifted out of position--------- if oil is still in the housing and the planetary is torn up it is possible to repair with taking the assembly off the machine , if there is no oil in unit you need to take it off the machine and do a total rebuild or a new motor assembly

OP
OP
lindalove

lindalove

A good place to start would be to drain the planetary oil from the drive motor assembly into a clean container and see if it is full of specks or chunks of metal , use a magnet ---- could have broke the sun gear shaft or the bearings of the gear went out and shifted out of position--------- if oil is still in the housing and the planetary is torn up it is possible to repair with taking the assembly off the machine , if there is no oil in unit you need to take it off the machine and do a total rebuild or a new motor assembly
Thank you, This does seem like a good place to start. I am not sure how to drain the oil from the drive motor assembly. Is it possible to do so without removing the track? Thanks again for your help.

OP
OP
lindalove

lindalove

Thank you, This does seem like a good place to start. I am not sure how to drain the oil from the drive motor assembly. Is it possible to do so without removing the track? Thanks again for your help.
What type of oil do I put back in the drive motor

mrdeere1959

Look in the service manual. What is $89.00 worth when broke down a have no idea of how to fix your machine?