Seatbar Mod

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Planeguy

I recently bought a 2007 463. I was wondering what is the best way to modify the seatbar? I am rather large (275 lbs) and bringing the seatbar up and down is a squeeze on the protective covering of my rock hard abs! :) I have also noticed that the corner of the bar has rubbed and worn the insulation off some of the wiring harness in the top left corner of the cab. Would I be better trying to increase the bend near the bottom of the bar, or should I cut out a short section of the bar and weld it back together? Hopefully someone has had to do this before. I can't be the only fat guy with a little bobcat.

Tazza

Staff member
I can't see why that wouldn't work. You may need to try and pin the wiring back a little to prevent it being rubbed? That or more insulation tape to prevent it damaging the wiring.
Those little machines can be rather had to get in and out of!

OldMachinist

I can't see why that wouldn't work. You may need to try and pin the wiring back a little to prevent it being rubbed? That or more insulation tape to prevent it damaging the wiring.
Those little machines can be rather had to get in and out of!
First did you check to see if the seat can be adjusted back some. I know my 453 has several sets of bolt holes to move the seat.
If you have to modify the seat bar I would cut a section out of the side tubes that come up at a angle and find some tubing that will telescope over it and drill multiple bolt holes(like a jack stand) to make it adjustable for different size people.

Tazza

Staff member
First did you check to see if the seat can be adjusted back some. I know my 453 has several sets of bolt holes to move the seat.
If you have to modify the seat bar I would cut a section out of the side tubes that come up at a angle and find some tubing that will telescope over it and drill multiple bolt holes(like a jack stand) to make it adjustable for different size people.
I like that idea. Especially if you decide to sell it in the future.

bobcat_ron

I like that idea. Especially if you decide to sell it in the future.
You can rig up a bender with a set of chains and a ratcheting turnbuckle to bend it forward, my 753 had this done after I installed the deluxe seat, and my gut hit the seat bar, so they bent ot forward doing the chain and turnbuckel idea. It should bend right where the contact pads make contact on the lock outs for the foot pedals.

OP
OP
P

Planeguy

Thanks for all the suggestions. First off, the seat is as far back as it will go. (against the back wall of the cab) I will try bending it first using the setup Bobcat Ron mentioned. It seems to be the easiest because I don't have to take the bar out of the machine. I was thinking of taking the bar out and using a hydraulic press to bend it. I can use my transport chains and ratcheting loadbinder to try this. If not, then I will probably take it out and cut & sleeve it like the Old Machinist suggested. Thanks again for the help! Being a newbie at this, I am sure I will have more questions later.

Fishfiles

Thanks for all the suggestions. First off, the seat is as far back as it will go. (against the back wall of the cab) I will try bending it first using the setup Bobcat Ron mentioned. It seems to be the easiest because I don't have to take the bar out of the machine. I was thinking of taking the bar out and using a hydraulic press to bend it. I can use my transport chains and ratcheting loadbinder to try this. If not, then I will probably take it out and cut & sleeve it like the Old Machinist suggested. Thanks again for the help! Being a newbie at this, I am sure I will have more questions later.
why not just remove the seatbar altogether

k9duramax

why not just remove the seatbar altogether
Very unsafe?? I demo'd a machine like that- prior owner bolted the latches down that the safety bar catches. All was fine till I slipped getting in it due to snow and the arms started raising since there was no safety?? Needless to say, I made a phone call and had them get it the heck off my property- way too much liablility.

Fishfiles

Very unsafe?? I demo'd a machine like that- prior owner bolted the latches down that the safety bar catches. All was fine till I slipped getting in it due to snow and the arms started raising since there was no safety?? Needless to say, I made a phone call and had them get it the heck off my property- way too much liablility.
you should never leave a machine running when you get out of it , so getting in and out of the machine without a seat bar would have no effect ------

k9duramax

you should never leave a machine running when you get out of it , so getting in and out of the machine without a seat bar would have no effect ------
I guess my only deal with that is, that it was winter out and it needed to warm up etc.? I really didn't want to have to sit in it to wait for it to warm up?

nobull1

I guess my only deal with that is, that it was winter out and it needed to warm up etc.? I really didn't want to have to sit in it to wait for it to warm up?
My deluxe seat has the same issue of not going back far enough. I am curious though as to how the bar was bent using Bobcat Ron's way? Do you compress the sides by squeezing( where ) with the chain ratchet.Too far back and I would think it would just bend the tubes and leave the crossbar intact. If you had a support between the arms then it might bend easier at the bar. Just not sure where the best place to hook the chains to before ratcheting.

Brian