scat trak pump input shaft crisis, HELP PLEASE

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Earthwright1

my machine broke during the last storm, came to a rolling stop and had no hydraulic power. after i finally got the lift arms raised and the cab tilted forward, i saw my problem....the "U" joints (coupling im guessing its called) need to be replaced but thats not why im on here. the input spline going into the pump is stripped/ruined. i priced a new one on loader parts source and it was $457. im not sure i have the correct part number to start looking around on ebay or craigslist. is this a common part found on other machines? im really limited on funds so im trying to do this as inexpensively as possible. any input/help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Is that price for a complete pump or just the shaft? it seems a bit high for a shaft only.....

OP
OP
E

Earthwright1

Ouch.....
What brand pump is it? do you know?
i dont know what pump it is BUT now i have bigger problems.....i think. i had my neighbor who is a master welder help me out. he welded the coupling to the splined shaft of the pump. when we started the engine b4 the coupling was welded, the motor ran great, however, now that we've re-connected the engine/pump via welded coupling, the starter struggles to turn the motor over and there's a nasty grinding/vibration coming thru the sticks. any ideas of what might be going on would be greatly appreciated. i'm thinking that the coupling went as a result of whatever might be wrong, whether it be the pump or what have you...HOWEVER, i HOPING im wrong.

Tazza

Staff member
i dont know what pump it is BUT now i have bigger problems.....i think. i had my neighbor who is a master welder help me out. he welded the coupling to the splined shaft of the pump. when we started the engine b4 the coupling was welded, the motor ran great, however, now that we've re-connected the engine/pump via welded coupling, the starter struggles to turn the motor over and there's a nasty grinding/vibration coming thru the sticks. any ideas of what might be going on would be greatly appreciated. i'm thinking that the coupling went as a result of whatever might be wrong, whether it be the pump or what have you...HOWEVER, i HOPING im wrong.
Kick the park brake off. That sound happens when the steering is not in perfect adjustment. It tries to move and the brake is on stopping it putting extra load on the engine making it hard to start. Also ensure the aux hydraulics are not engaged. The sticks will shake violently when its not adjusted right and the park brake is on. I'd recommend jacking it so the wheels are off the ground. Put jack stands under the axle tubes. Turn the brake off, then try starting it again.
If all goes well, it should start and the wheels will turn till you adjust it right.
It is possible its a pump issue too, but start with the simple things first! think positive.

OP
OP
E

Earthwright1

Kick the park brake off. That sound happens when the steering is not in perfect adjustment. It tries to move and the brake is on stopping it putting extra load on the engine making it hard to start. Also ensure the aux hydraulics are not engaged. The sticks will shake violently when its not adjusted right and the park brake is on. I'd recommend jacking it so the wheels are off the ground. Put jack stands under the axle tubes. Turn the brake off, then try starting it again.
If all goes well, it should start and the wheels will turn till you adjust it right.
It is possible its a pump issue too, but start with the simple things first! think positive.
another thing i need help with is finding out what the part/model numbers are for the main hydraulic pump (not sure if thats the right name for the part im thinking of. this pump is located in front of the motor and is connected via coupling, 2 yokes and a universal joint, connecting the flywheel/engine to a splined shaft going into a hydraulic pump) id also like to know the part/model numbers for left and right drive pumps. id also like to know what other machines these pumps were used in to make tracking down used parts a little easier. again, any info is GREATLY appreciated, thanks again, Steve.

daddygoose

another thing i need help with is finding out what the part/model numbers are for the main hydraulic pump (not sure if thats the right name for the part im thinking of. this pump is located in front of the motor and is connected via coupling, 2 yokes and a universal joint, connecting the flywheel/engine to a splined shaft going into a hydraulic pump) id also like to know the part/model numbers for left and right drive pumps. id also like to know what other machines these pumps were used in to make tracking down used parts a little easier. again, any info is GREATLY appreciated, thanks again, Steve.
what size is your Skat trak i have the manual for the 1050 and the 1350 I can email it too you if you need it.