Safety switches

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jerry

A 5 year old boy was killed here in Mn Thursday when he tried to crawl up into a skidsteer that had the boom up a little. He crawled between the boom and frame and grabbed the lever or pedal that dropped the boom. The machine was not running at the time.
Have no idea of make or model of skidsteer but people do disable the safety solenioids on the hydraulics and I have even seen posts on the internet on how to do it. Do not do it, if you have safety devices leave them alone.

OP
OP
J

jerry

Dad will never foget hate to hear this
Should say I have never seen anyone on this forum advocate bypassing safety but I have seen in it on the internet. I hate to even post something like this but just to remind people how dangerous this stuff can be.

Tazza

Staff member
Should say I have never seen anyone on this forum advocate bypassing safety but I have seen in it on the internet. I hate to even post something like this but just to remind people how dangerous this stuff can be.
That is sad, the only sensors i'm not afraid to disable is the seat, the seat bar can be a pain, but it's there for a reason.
I have found the newer bobcat machines will not allow the arms to move if the engine off. Even if you put the key on, turn the ignition on to allow the pedals to move, it still is locked out till the engine starts.

7LBSSMALLIE

That is sad, the only sensors i'm not afraid to disable is the seat, the seat bar can be a pain, but it's there for a reason.
I have found the newer bobcat machines will not allow the arms to move if the engine off. Even if you put the key on, turn the ignition on to allow the pedals to move, it still is locked out till the engine starts.
traction lock override kit takes seat switch out and still keeps unit safe. NO NEVER EVER EVER BYPASS SAFTEY DEVICES. any unit any time wether it be a lawnmower or a bulldozer. alittle personal experaince may shed some light. thow I hate to revist if it saves a life or a finger so be it. KEEP IN MIND IF YOU DO IT THAT LIFE OR FINGER IS ON YOU> shame shame. this is how it went down. got the call. fire dept wants to know how to safely support boom arms in a 773. my question are ldr arms up answer yes, my response come by ill give you a boom support device. gave them one. 45 minutes later fire dept back asking how can we safely lower boom arms. at this point I got no idea whats going on. they ask can you help. its the fire dept of course I can help. this is what I do. I fix bobcats there was no thought to liability to co or manfacture, it was fire dept asking for help the chief explained to me we got a situation and I don't want my guys hurt. please can you help. grabbed one of my guys. dude get a truck and a trailer ill get some tools. we pull in to asses the situation. walk up there is an 18 yr old kid with his head pinned between rops and bobtacth his feet three feet off the ground head smashed like a pumpkin eyes wide open. hangin from the bobtach, like a scarecrow. my dude went back to and sat in truck. cant blame can you? so here I am 15 fire fighters cribbing blocks everywhere under this machine stacked 10 ft tall kid hanging from head only feet dangling 15 fire fire fighters trying not to get hurt. askin the so called expert what do we do.. YEA IT KINDA SUCKED. so my orders are everbody step back 5, looked at twice crib rear of unit cracked lift hoses. had fire dept raise they caught him. lowered him to the strechter. carted him off. A removed lift arm support device. lowered arms. docmunted state of unit. A.throttle was being held open to full with apiece of mechanics wire,B lift and tilt blocks were pushed down and nuts tightened whey they wont slide.C. lics system (loader safety interlock sys) had been bypassed )IM THROWINGTHIS OUT THERE NOT FOR COURT CASES OR ANY OF THE BULLLSHIT. I CAN SAY, THAT 3AND HALF YEARS OF SOBRETITY WENT DOWN THE TUBES. that day that moment and still on the sauce.SO IN CLOSING IF YOU THINK YOU BE SMART AND CAN BYPASSSAFTEY FEATURES, YEA YOU CAN. SHOULD BE HELD PERSONALLY ACOUNTABLE FOR DOING SO YEA YOU SHOULD IM THINKINKING AN EYE FOR AN EYE. I HOPE YOU GET THE MESSAGE HEAVEY EQUIPMENT IS AS SAFE AS AS HEAVY EQUIPMENT CAN BE,IT IS INHEARNTLY DANGERAOUS,. hence the heavy equipment thing.