S220 wiper

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nirias

I bought a used (175 hours) bobcat that has a very slow wiper. It makes even a 6 volt volkswagen wiper look fast and when it is snowing it stalls after a few minutes. Is that normal or does it sound like I have a bad motor? If so, are these repairable or is my only option a $$$ replacement wiper assembly from bobcat?

bobcat_ron

When it's in operation, does the motor feel hot? If so, just pull it out of the eindow and start pulling screws out, they are real easy to fix, I just repaired my Dad's ZX75 wiper gear box.

OP
OP
N

nirias

When it's in operation, does the motor feel hot? If so, just pull it out of the eindow and start pulling screws out, they are real easy to fix, I just repaired my Dad's ZX75 wiper gear box.
It usually feels hot. What is the typical repair? Are you just re-lubing the gearbox or re-winding the motor?

bobcat_ron

It usually feels hot. What is the typical repair? Are you just re-lubing the gearbox or re-winding the motor?
It could be a dirty commutator on the motor, when you pull the cover off (after pulling the entire unit off the window) there will be 2 small blocks (brushes) that are connected by copper braided wires, make sure they don't pop off, most electric motors just need the brushes cleaned and the commutator cleaned, check the bearings and re-lube.
The gear box will have a larger gear that is driven by the worm gear from the motor, and there is a crank rod that cranks the wiper shaft, make sure the crank rod is not binding on the cover and that everything works when the motor is not attached.
When I rebuilt my Dad's wiper, the crank was binding due to 1 too many shims under it, and it was still new from the factory.