S185 Won't Start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

PVDI97

Afternoon, I'm having issues with my Bobcat not starting. Thought I may have had a plugged fuel filter so I changed it and checked the old one but it was fine. Took the fuel line off the top of the injectors and turned the key and fuel came flying out so it was getting fuel. Got frustrated and put my commercial battery charger on the starter and cranked it up and it started immediately. Tested the battery but it showed to be very good. Grabbed a brand new battery and it still did the same thing. So now everytime I want to start it in the morning I have to give it a quick boost and it starts immediately. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
You say it won't start, how doesn't it start? Does it crank but not catch or not crank at all?
If it cranks but doesn't start i wonder if it's the fuel cut solenoid doing someting weird.

OP
OP
P

PVDI97

You say it won't start, how doesn't it start? Does it crank but not catch or not crank at all?
If it cranks but doesn't start i wonder if it's the fuel cut solenoid doing someting weird.
It cranks over like crazy but won't fire. As soon as I add the extra shot of electricity from the charger it fires immediately.

Tazza

Staff member
It cranks over like crazy but won't fire. As soon as I add the extra shot of electricity from the charger it fires immediately.
If you don't get any white smoke while it cranks, i suspect it is the fuel cut solenoid being the issue.
If you remove it from the engine, give it a clean and make sure it's not binding, hopefully it's a simple fix like that.

OP
OP
P

PVDI97

If you don't get any white smoke while it cranks, i suspect it is the fuel cut solenoid being the issue.
If you remove it from the engine, give it a clean and make sure it's not binding, hopefully it's a simple fix like that.
So we removed the fuel cut solenoid and ended up having to replace it. But now she isn't starting. Turns over like crazy but won't fire. Again put the booster on it and fires immediately. What's next?

Tazza

Staff member
So we removed the fuel cut solenoid and ended up having to replace it. But now she isn't starting. Turns over like crazy but won't fire. Again put the booster on it and fires immediately. What's next?
Silly question, but you have used a new battery right? You have been boosting the old one and it works.

OP
OP
P

PVDI97

Yes we installed a new battery and now a new fuel cut solenoid.
Just a thought and it may be a dumb one but when you turn the key you should here a click opening the fuel shut off solenoid correct? Could it be as simple as as fuse?

OP
OP
P

PVDI97

Just a thought and it may be a dumb one but when you turn the key you should here a click opening the fuel shut off solenoid correct? Could it be as simple as as fuse?
And if yes, which one would it be? I should test it

melli

Or could it be a weak fuse?
Glow plugs not working properly? The extra juice to get things going sounds very odd. I would trace the ground from battery to frame to enure it is fully grounded. Usually, in fuse box, one can swap similar fuse/relays...I'd mess around with those to see if you have a bad one.

Tazza

Staff member
Glow plugs not working properly? The extra juice to get things going sounds very odd. I would trace the ground from battery to frame to enure it is fully grounded. Usually, in fuse box, one can swap similar fuse/relays...I'd mess around with those to see if you have a bad one.
I don't believe you hear a click when you turn the key, the main shut down solenoid opens when cranking, so you won't hear it over the starter and engine spinning.
I guess a bad fuse could be the cause, but adding a bit power power when it is already cranking shouldn't make any real difference.
I wonder if there is a bad connection somewhere making the voltage drop enough for the computer to not work properly.
How are you adding the booster pack? as in where are you running the jumper leads, to the battery terminals or to the frame and the starter? If it was a bad ground, adding the booster pack may be getting around the bad connection well enough to start the machine.
Just throwing out random ideas now.

reaperman

If I remember right, the F and older series bobcats did "click" when the key was turned to the on position. The G series solenoids didn't. Perhaps another thing to check would be the connection to the 100 amp fuse. The fuse is located directly above the battery, you follow the 2nd red cable from the positive battery terminal strait up into a smallish black colored box. The box pops open with a screwdriver and inside is the fuse. I'm not saying its your problem but when your chasing electrical issues nothing is out of the question. The connections on this fuse can get corroded overtime and its easy to inspect and clean up. Add a bit of dielectric grease and if nothing else its another thing you can check off your list. Good luck

Pichemain

If I remember right, the F and older series bobcats did "click" when the key was turned to the on position. The G series solenoids didn't. Perhaps another thing to check would be the connection to the 100 amp fuse. The fuse is located directly above the battery, you follow the 2nd red cable from the positive battery terminal strait up into a smallish black colored box. The box pops open with a screwdriver and inside is the fuse. I'm not saying its your problem but when your chasing electrical issues nothing is out of the question. The connections on this fuse can get corroded overtime and its easy to inspect and clean up. Add a bit of dielectric grease and if nothing else its another thing you can check off your list. Good luck
This might be a long shot.... but maybe a bad ground... just run a "booster cable" from the battery to a "good" ground. clean the battery terminals and connections. I bet in the end it will some silly little thing!