S185 sounds like its missing and loses power under load

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Contractor

Hi all. We have a 2004 S185 V2203 with 4134 hours on it. I recently replaced the cylinder head due to a crack after a few overheating cycles in the field. The machine sat in our yard for 2 years until I brought it in to try to revive it. I replaced the head, water pump, and thermostat. It runs but when trying to use hydraulics, it seems to bog and the exhaust is black. If I back of the hydraulics the engine speeds back up and the smoke clears. I have changed all fluids, filters. Did a compression check this morning and all 4 came up right at 400. Went ahead and adjusted valves to .008 this morning as well. One thing that has me wondering is that when I did the head and pulled the injector lines, one of the delivery valves came out with the line. I know I should have used a backup wrench. lesson learned. In any case Im wondering if I possible got something out of line in that valve when I put it back in. It had a spring and washer if I recall. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take the injectors in and have them tested. Just wondering if you all might have any ideas. Thanks a bunch Cole

foton

might ought to check and see if the hydro system has a restriction some where and loading the engine down. since it sat for awhile sometimes things get stuck.

OP
OP
C

Contractor

Well it turns out when I pulled the injectors to have them tested, I found a spring on top of the injection pump. It belonged in the #1 delivery valve. Put it back in, torqued everything and it's running like new.

Tazza

Staff member
Well it turns out when I pulled the injectors to have them tested, I found a spring on top of the injection pump. It belonged in the #1 delivery valve. Put it back in, torqued everything and it's running like new.
Glad you got it sorted out, lucky the spring was still there, hard for someone to forget something like that, surely...

OP
OP
C

Contractor

Glad you got it sorted out, lucky the spring was still there, hard for someone to forget something like that, surely...
Thanks Tazza, that someone was me :). I know better than that, but fortunately it was sitting there. Made all the difference..

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza, that someone was me :). I know better than that, but fortunately it was sitting there. Made all the difference..
Whoops! At least you got it sorted out in the end, we all make mistakes.