S185 oil coming out of exhaust

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jinxycat

I have a 2004 Bobcat S185 with the Kubota V2003 machine has about 6700 hours on it. Recently while running it I started to smell hydraulic fluid, as I reached for the key to shut it down the warning alarm went off. I turned the key off, took it out and got out of it and the machine kept running. It started taking off and revving pretty high. After a lot of white smoke and about 45 seconds it slowed down and turned off. I found the main hydraulic line that comes off the cooler above the engine had blown out of the cooler. So basically the hydraulic fluid was shooting straight into the air intake. Replaced the air filter, fixed the line and added hydraulic fluid. It fired right up started fast like normal, sounded normal had normal power and function. I had my son run it so I could watch and there was definitely more white / light blue smoke than normal coming out of the exhaust. I walked behind the exhaust and was showered with black oil. I had him shut the motor down and there was black oil dripping out of the exhaust and running down the back door. I recently had changed the motor oil before this. The motor oil doesn't seem to be going down on the dipstick but I didn't run it more than 20 min. I was thinking maybe the turbo gasket / seal melted from running hot then shutting down? Any other ideas or things to look for before I bring it to the Bobcat dealer to get checked out?

Tazza

Staff member
The exhaust system is probably full of hydraulic oil, run it some more.
Hopefully it is still just burning off the oil that got in.
How fast did it rev up when it the oil was spraying in? my only concern with this is when you get runaway like this, the motor can over rev and be damaged, but usually the damage comes from a different stype of run away when it's burning its own engine oil, when it runs dry, the motor stops from lack of fuel (engine oil) and potential lack of lubrication.
I'm hoping it's just residue as Wayne said.

OP
OP
J

jinxycat

Hopefully it is still just burning off the oil that got in.
How fast did it rev up when it the oil was spraying in? my only concern with this is when you get runaway like this, the motor can over rev and be damaged, but usually the damage comes from a different stype of run away when it's burning its own engine oil, when it runs dry, the motor stops from lack of fuel (engine oil) and potential lack of lubrication.
I'm hoping it's just residue as Wayne said.
Thank you, I'll be running it this weekend. Called the local Bobcat dealer one of their mechanics said to run it and hopefully it clears out. It revved up pretty high, higher than it does at normal wide open throttle. The engine oil looks good yet so I'll run it and keep an eye on it.