S185 not starting

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

alfie047

Hello, this machine is new to me. Just over 1050 hours. Had used it for about 10 hours with no issues. I used it one day last week for about 1/2 hour and then stopped the machine. Now it won't start. Engine turns over, does not appear to be getting any fuel. Over 1/2 tank of fuel in machine. I checked one 30 amp fuse labelled Fuel shut off and it was fine. There is another block-type fuse labelled Fuel shutoff (R amps) which I have not checked as I suspect would need to get a replacement from the dealer as there is no obvious way to determine if its fine or not. One thing I noticed is that when the glowplug light goes off, I used to hear a "thug" sound from the engine area prior to me starting the machine. Now I don't. Any ideas out there? Thanks. Allan

Tazza

Staff member
Any smoke when it cranks?
It could be a bad fuel shut off solenoid. There were two types of solenoid, one internal to the engine the other was outside and you could easily hold it in the run position.
Near the injector pump, is there a round solenoid out side with a connector to an arm? or is there a round solenoid that bolts to the enging housing? The solenoid will have 3 wires hanging off it.
You can also test for resistance of the coil. Red to black and white to black. All should have resistance. If not, your solenoid sounds like it's cooked.

OP
OP
A

alfie047

Any smoke when it cranks?
It could be a bad fuel shut off solenoid. There were two types of solenoid, one internal to the engine the other was outside and you could easily hold it in the run position.
Near the injector pump, is there a round solenoid out side with a connector to an arm? or is there a round solenoid that bolts to the enging housing? The solenoid will have 3 wires hanging off it.
You can also test for resistance of the coil. Red to black and white to black. All should have resistance. If not, your solenoid sounds like it's cooked.
Hi Tazza, thanks for this reply. No smoke at all. I see what I think to be the solenoid, bolted to the side of the engine houseing, near the throttle arm and above the oil filter. I will try your suggestions.If it is cooked, its simply replacing the solenoid, correct?

Tazza

Staff member
Hi Tazza, thanks for this reply. No smoke at all. I see what I think to be the solenoid, bolted to the side of the engine houseing, near the throttle arm and above the oil filter. I will try your suggestions.If it is cooked, its simply replacing the solenoid, correct?
It should fix it yes. Others have suggested replacing the relay too because if the contacts stick, it can cause the pull coil to burn out, it's possible that is why the old one went.
I have never tried starting a machine with that solenoid out, so i'm not sure how to get it to shut off. I'd get you to remove it and crank to see of it will start to ensure it indeed is a possible solenoid issue.
It is also possible it is a relay or woring issue to the solenoid too. The three wires are ground, pull and hold. The pull coil is only on when cranking, the hold is on while the key is on.