S185 arm cracked

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

muddybuddy

Hey guys, Just purchased an S-185 with 2000hrs from a dealer. I was told the machine was inspected and ready to go. I have only put 4 hrs on the machine so far moving snow. I noticed some paint cracking on the upper part of the arm and on further inspection it turned out to be a crack in the metal and weld that is located below the upper pin both on the top side and bottom side. What would you do? Fix it and move on or should I try to return the machine and get another? I had and old 80s bobcat with cracked welds and they were always re- cracking.

OldMachinist

I'd go back to the dealer first and tell them what you found. They will see that you only put 4 hours on it. If they said it was inspected they should offer to repair it or replace the arm. Your right if the arms are welded without adding some reinforcment they will crack again.

sp6x6

I'd go back to the dealer first and tell them what you found. They will see that you only put 4 hours on it. If they said it was inspected they should offer to repair it or replace the arm. Your right if the arms are welded without adding some reinforcment they will crack again.
In MT you have something like 3 days to back out ofa auto type deal legally, had to do it once on a truck overheat issue, that wsnt being repaired too like condition.

OP
OP
M

muddybuddy

In MT you have something like 3 days to back out ofa auto type deal legally, had to do it once on a truck overheat issue, that wsnt being repaired too like condition.
They called back today and after discussing it with management told me that I bought a used piece of equipment and all used equipment is sold as is. Looks like I am SOL. They won't be getting any return business from me. I guess I will just repair it and move on.

Tazza

Staff member
They called back today and after discussing it with management told me that I bought a used piece of equipment and all used equipment is sold as is. Looks like I am SOL. They won't be getting any return business from me. I guess I will just repair it and move on.
Thats a shame... I understand their side, they would have given it a quick once over checking the usual things like coolant, oil grease. But cracks aren't something most people would look for. Most items like that are sold "as is where is" its up to you to check it over.... I hope you can fix it up easily.
Ensure you drill the ends of the cracks and use a good rod after gouging the cracks out to fill them up. If you simply lay a weld over the top it will crack again.

jmatt20

Thats a shame... I understand their side, they would have given it a quick once over checking the usual things like coolant, oil grease. But cracks aren't something most people would look for. Most items like that are sold "as is where is" its up to you to check it over.... I hope you can fix it up easily.
Ensure you drill the ends of the cracks and use a good rod after gouging the cracks out to fill them up. If you simply lay a weld over the top it will crack again.
i had a 721 that i broke the arms more than once .....welded them up and put it back to work..i worked that machine to death and then worked it's ghost some more .. that being said most dealers have a guy in the shop that knows his way around a welder, a couple hrs with the welder and he could have made you a long time customer at little cost to the dealer ,unless of course he thought you were going to try to nickle and dime him to death over a used machine??? i learned that "drill the end of the crack" trick about 35 years ago, i wonder who figured that out and how long ago????

Tazza

Staff member
i had a 721 that i broke the arms more than once .....welded them up and put it back to work..i worked that machine to death and then worked it's ghost some more .. that being said most dealers have a guy in the shop that knows his way around a welder, a couple hrs with the welder and he could have made you a long time customer at little cost to the dealer ,unless of course he thought you were going to try to nickle and dime him to death over a used machine??? i learned that "drill the end of the crack" trick about 35 years ago, i wonder who figured that out and how long ago????
A 743 i re-built had the arms cracked, it seemed it broke in half before i got it and was botched when they repaired it. I cut it back in 2 and cut the top out and layed 2 pieces of steel inside and welded them in for a little extra strength. This is where the lift ram meets the welded brace, like an elbow, it seems like a common spot to go. They never actually welded the underside where ALL the pressure is applied. I made sure i used the plasma to gouge the cracks out and re-welded with cellulose rods for high penetration then went over it with a *pretty* rod to give a nice finish, then grind back to look like new.
The holes at the end of cracks sure does well!

bobcat_ron

A 743 i re-built had the arms cracked, it seemed it broke in half before i got it and was botched when they repaired it. I cut it back in 2 and cut the top out and layed 2 pieces of steel inside and welded them in for a little extra strength. This is where the lift ram meets the welded brace, like an elbow, it seems like a common spot to go. They never actually welded the underside where ALL the pressure is applied. I made sure i used the plasma to gouge the cracks out and re-welded with cellulose rods for high penetration then went over it with a *pretty* rod to give a nice finish, then grind back to look like new.
The holes at the end of cracks sure does well!
Gouge out the crack and re-weld it, and fish plate both sides of the loader arms, my T190 cracked above the main tilt pins, 1 year after the first, and they were both plated in the same manner, it's now a beefed up area on the Bobcats arm that were made after 2007.

coreya3212

Get some advice from a lawyer in your area. AS IS so to speak is different everywhere. If they gave you an inspection report, as a recognized dealer, being that equipment and the condition of equipment is there area of expertise, a reasonable person may take that to mean they are standing behind the piece of gear to some degree. Its all in the wording I suppose . As well, if they gave you the inspection as a sales tool, that may carry some weight. As opposed to giving you the inspection after you write them a cheque. I have had some minor dealings in this area, not overly comparable, but the advice is to seek professional advice. Incidently, stay away from giving to much information when staging your complaints folks. Instead of saying; " i bought this used machine and only used it for 4 hours to push snow" stick with "I bought this machine and look at the huge crack in the arm". Let them figure out that you used it 4 hours and ask what those 4 hours were for. And of course the answer would be " 4 hours digging feathers". Not being critical of Muddy's approach, most people assume that buying from a dealer provides you with some security of purchase as opposed to just buying from an auction for cheaper. Hope they come around in the end.

OP
OP
M

muddybuddy

Get some advice from a lawyer in your area. AS IS so to speak is different everywhere. If they gave you an inspection report, as a recognized dealer, being that equipment and the condition of equipment is there area of expertise, a reasonable person may take that to mean they are standing behind the piece of gear to some degree. Its all in the wording I suppose . As well, if they gave you the inspection as a sales tool, that may carry some weight. As opposed to giving you the inspection after you write them a cheque. I have had some minor dealings in this area, not overly comparable, but the advice is to seek professional advice. Incidently, stay away from giving to much information when staging your complaints folks. Instead of saying; " i bought this used machine and only used it for 4 hours to push snow" stick with "I bought this machine and look at the huge crack in the arm". Let them figure out that you used it 4 hours and ask what those 4 hours were for. And of course the answer would be " 4 hours digging feathers". Not being critical of Muddy's approach, most people assume that buying from a dealer provides you with some security of purchase as opposed to just buying from an auction for cheaper. Hope they come around in the end.
Welded it up yesterday - almost a full day of welding. It was worse than appeared. Also found a crack where the hydraulic ram attaches to the arm. Actually it is probably better that I welded it rather than their shop - because now I know it was done right. It did not appear to be just normal wear and tear, I am sure that there was some kind of accident. I talked to a service department at another dealer and he had not seen any S185 arm damage at that location. I also talked to the dealer I bought the machine from and he said if I would have found the damage the day after I bought it they would have fixed it. He assured me he would not have sold me a machine with known damage. I asked about the inspection that was said to have taken place and he stated it is not a certifierd or guaranteed inpection. He said if he could make it up to me in any way in the future he would. Anyway I took my lumps and now will move on - chalk one up to lesson learned. Thanks to all who replied to my post.

coreya3212

Welded it up yesterday - almost a full day of welding. It was worse than appeared. Also found a crack where the hydraulic ram attaches to the arm. Actually it is probably better that I welded it rather than their shop - because now I know it was done right. It did not appear to be just normal wear and tear, I am sure that there was some kind of accident. I talked to a service department at another dealer and he had not seen any S185 arm damage at that location. I also talked to the dealer I bought the machine from and he said if I would have found the damage the day after I bought it they would have fixed it. He assured me he would not have sold me a machine with known damage. I asked about the inspection that was said to have taken place and he stated it is not a certifierd or guaranteed inpection. He said if he could make it up to me in any way in the future he would. Anyway I took my lumps and now will move on - chalk one up to lesson learned. Thanks to all who replied to my post.
1 day of welding on your own is cheaper than any lawyer!! Glad she is fixed.