S175 - Strange exhaust smell

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kao

I was plowing this weekend and whenever I'd back up, I'd notice a strange burning smell. I thought it was the heater at first, but I put it on full and didn't notice anything coming from the vents. So I got out and opened the engine compartment. Sniffed around and couldn't smell anything. Then when I walked through the exhaust path, it hit me. Smelled nothing like the normal diesel exhaust I usually smell. Didn't really smell like oil or fuel. Maybe antifreeze? It was very cold out (sub zero) and I didn't have time to check things over. I parked it and will look at it as soon as I have time. Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on what to check and in what order. I assume: 1. Check coolant level. 2. Check oil (smell and color?). 3. Check exhaust color? 4. What else? It's a 2003 model, 1900 hours and not used hard. Home use.

Tazza

Staff member
Lets hope it's not coolant, could it be fuel additives that the service station had put in it to prevent it geling over winter?
The things i'd check first is coolant levels. Keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't drop.
Checking the engine oil isn't a bad idea. If a fluid other than diesel is being burnt, the level will be dropping somewhere.

OP
OP
K

kao

Lets hope it's not coolant, could it be fuel additives that the service station had put in it to prevent it geling over winter?
The things i'd check first is coolant levels. Keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't drop.
Checking the engine oil isn't a bad idea. If a fluid other than diesel is being burnt, the level will be dropping somewhere.
Thanks! It could be the fuel. I didn't think of that. I let my step son use it and he brought it back with a full tank, but IDK where he fueled up. I'll have to ask him.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks! It could be the fuel. I didn't think of that. I let my step son use it and he brought it back with a full tank, but IDK where he fueled up. I'll have to ask him.
I'd not worry about it unless the fluid level changed, either up or down. Keep an eye on it, hopefully it's just the fuel.
Wow, it's rare for someone to borrow something and bring it back with a full belly of fuel, he has been taught well :)

OP
OP
K

kao

So... 6 years later I figured I'd give this issue resolution - the smell was coming from acorns and other items stored in the muffler by some local rodents. They burned out and it's been fine since.

Aniko

We have a 2021 bobcat t770 with a mulcher and within running for 5 minutes there is a strange strong smell in the cab. Fluids are good, we change the final drive fluids thinking that was the problem but it was not. Any suggestions before we have to take it to bobcat service?

brdgbldr

We have a 2021 bobcat t770 with a mulcher and within running for 5 minutes there is a strange strong smell in the cab. Fluids are good, we change the final drive fluids thinking that was the problem but it was not. Any suggestions before we have to take it to bobcat service?
If you have heat or AC check the vents for debris. Mice like to make nests in them.

mrbb

HAHA< well thanks for the update and closure on what it was
, rodents are great at packing things with nuts, and or other things
I can recall many times on many farms where you'd start a tractor or and before long you'd have pop corn popping out of exhaust,, that a mouse or ?? put in there!
funny how much them little critters can fill things, and they can do it over night too! not to mention the damages they an cause
there sure annoying,,
I wish someone would invent a bait that sterilizes them after they eat it, as there nothing but problem in most places and multiply way too fast for there own good!

reaperman

When the machine goes into regenerate, it gives off a burning odor. We have the same machine and if I remember right the first time it happened it smelled like something was burning. It also threw a code so I called the dealer since it was under warranty. They said its all normal. Most likely what your smelling.

mrbb

It does exist: https://contrapeststore.com/

Compared to what you get at the neighborhood store, it is expensive. But if you really have an infestation, it will make a difference.
well that;s great they have something like this, I don't have that big a issue, and I only got field mice, no larger rats , , but gather it would work the same on them, maybe better??
so, I won't pay that much for this stuff, would need to be cheaper for me to justify
butm then again, if you think about how much damage one little critter can do chewing wires or likes, the costs may sound better HAHA!

, but if they had it cheaper, I'd bet a lot more folks would buy it, that and even knew it existed, as I never heard of it before
seems like something, a lot of folks should know is out there,as there are places rats and lies are at crazy levels! and sicne there so well know for carrying dieses and such, , something like this I would think would be a huge help in them places!

Fabricator

It's certainly not something you use if you have a couple mice chewing on things, but I've seen situations where you practically have them reproducing faster than you can kill them - hundreds or thousands of mice/rats.

I used to do engineering work in the food industry and that's where I came across that product.

Latest posts