S175 Shutdown Overheating

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Festus

Yep I'm another newbie. I welcome and appreciate any help one can offer with my S175 overheating issue. 2013 S175 SJC 1600 hours Ser # A3L54XXXX I bought it about a year ago and the problem seems to be more frequent. The skid steer randomly shuts-down from overheating. Some days it runs fine and some days it aggravates the heck out of me. At one point I thought I had it narrowed down to the temp sensor I would jiggle the wires at the connector. It was not a consistent solution so I don't know if that really had any effect. I bought it from a Bobcat dealer, they had it for a week and it never acted up. The temp gauge on the left bounces around when it thinks it's overheating and then pegs-out and shuts-down but the digital temp indicator on the right show the temp is normal. Coolant level is good and the hoses are pressurized but you can grab them and squeeze them fairly easy. It does not seem hot and there's not a hot engine smell. Questions; 1. Do both left temp gauge and right digital indicator operate off the same sensor or do they work independently from each other? 2. How is the temp sensor checked? 3. How would one check the left temp gauge? 4. How would one check the right temp indicator? Thanks to all reply's in advance and maybe just maybe I'll be able to help someone one day!

Tazza

Staff member
Did you replace the sender just in case?
The one thing you don't want to do is over hear your engine. A good test is to check the temperature of the head with an IR digital thermometer.

OP
OP
F

Festus

Did you replace the sender just in case?
The one thing you don't want to do is over hear your engine. A good test is to check the temperature of the head with an IR digital thermometer.
I have not wrenched on anything yet. I got in it this morning and as soon as it started the temp gauge pegged out and the alarm sounded. I'm going to disconnect the the sensor and clean the connection later today when I have some time to mess with it. I just don't understand why the right digital temp says normal and the left gauge says hot. Do you know if both temp indicators use the same sensor. I assume it does b/cI only saw one on the engine wiring diagram at Bobcats parts website. I'm thinking replace the temp gauge first but I'm all ears to advise from folk with experience. Thanks for the reply!

farmshop

I have not wrenched on anything yet. I got in it this morning and as soon as it started the temp gauge pegged out and the alarm sounded. I'm going to disconnect the the sensor and clean the connection later today when I have some time to mess with it. I just don't understand why the right digital temp says normal and the left gauge says hot. Do you know if both temp indicators use the same sensor. I assume it does b/cI only saw one on the engine wiring diagram at Bobcats parts website. I'm thinking replace the temp gauge first but I'm all ears to advise from folk with experience. Thanks for the reply!
If you unplug the sensor the guage should move one way then jump across the plug it should go the other way

OP
OP
F

Festus

If you unplug the sensor the guage should move one way then jump across the plug it should go the other way
The temp sensor connector looked clean so I gave it a blast of electronic cleaner. Also noticed one wire had been repaired with heat shrink tubing on it. It seemed a bit flimsy and one wire easily pulled out so I opened it up and repaired it properly with solder and closed it back up. About 10 seconds after the SS is started the temp gauge pegs out hot. I disconnected the temp sensor and it still pegs out about 10 seconds after starting. I jump the connector thinking it would do something different but I got the same results. Next thing to do is pull the gauge and see if jumpering it makes a difference there could be another broken wire in the harness somewhere. I'm still contemplating whether to replace the gauge or the sensor first. Just don't like throng parts at it but I may end up doing that. I did operate it for awhile with the gauge pegged and it did not shut down, it didn't get hot. I have some pic but not sure how to post them here. I am busy so it might be a few days before I chime in again. Thanks!

OP
OP
F

Festus

The temp sensor connector looked clean so I gave it a blast of electronic cleaner. Also noticed one wire had been repaired with heat shrink tubing on it. It seemed a bit flimsy and one wire easily pulled out so I opened it up and repaired it properly with solder and closed it back up. About 10 seconds after the SS is started the temp gauge pegs out hot. I disconnected the temp sensor and it still pegs out about 10 seconds after starting. I jump the connector thinking it would do something different but I got the same results. Next thing to do is pull the gauge and see if jumpering it makes a difference there could be another broken wire in the harness somewhere. I'm still contemplating whether to replace the gauge or the sensor first. Just don't like throng parts at it but I may end up doing that. I did operate it for awhile with the gauge pegged and it did not shut down, it didn't get hot. I have some pic but not sure how to post them here. I am busy so it might be a few days before I chime in again. Thanks!
Checked for resistance (tone on VOM) at the temp sensor. The sensor had resistance the connector did not. Also I found after entering my code without starting the engine the temp sensor pegged out and it didn't matter if the temp sensor was connected or disconnected. Now I'm back to thinking the gauge is bad or maybe there's another broken wire? Does anyone know what the temp sensor ohms should be? I'll keep posting what I find so maybe someone else can learn from my problem.

Tazza

Staff member
Checked for resistance (tone on VOM) at the temp sensor. The sensor had resistance the connector did not. Also I found after entering my code without starting the engine the temp sensor pegged out and it didn't matter if the temp sensor was connected or disconnected. Now I'm back to thinking the gauge is bad or maybe there's another broken wire? Does anyone know what the temp sensor ohms should be? I'll keep posting what I find so maybe someone else can learn from my problem.
Does the temperature sender have 3 wires? I don't think there is a set resistance, as i believe the 3 wire ones have a chip in them, you have power in and data out to go to the computer. If that is the case, you can't simply use a DMM to get measurements and know it's working.
The only other option is to see if you can measure resistance in the wires at the plug at the sender and at the computer/gauge, however it's wired. See if there is indeed a bad wire or not.

7LBSSMALLIE

Does the temperature sender have 3 wires? I don't think there is a set resistance, as i believe the 3 wire ones have a chip in them, you have power in and data out to go to the computer. If that is the case, you can't simply use a DMM to get measurements and know it's working.
The only other option is to see if you can measure resistance in the wires at the plug at the sender and at the computer/gauge, however it's wired. See if there is indeed a bad wire or not.
back to basics boys . does it smell hot does it feel hot. iS IT ACTUAL OR INDICATED. CONFIRM TEMP . visual inspectionl. should be enough. if coolant is low where did it go;

OP
OP
F

Festus

Temp sender has two wires. I have not had a chance to check for a bad wire. Thanks!

OP
OP
F

Festus

Temp sender has two wires. I have not had a chance to check for a bad wire. Thanks!
The S175 only thinks it's hot but it's not. If I enter my code it will peg the temp gauge after a few seconds without ever starting it. When I get a chance I'll pull the temp gauge cluster and see if there's anything disconnected. I tend to believe all sensors go to a computer and the computer sends info to the gauges. Thanks!

OP
OP
F

Festus

The S175 only thinks it's hot but it's not. If I enter my code it will peg the temp gauge after a few seconds without ever starting it. When I get a chance I'll pull the temp gauge cluster and see if there's anything disconnected. I tend to believe all sensors go to a computer and the computer sends info to the gauges. Thanks!
Serial Number A3L511001 and above. Electrical System/Engine Electrical Circuitry Harness Part # 7169390 (other part numbers depending on options) RPM Sensor Part # 6693921 (other part numbers depending on serial number) Connector has 2 blue wires Engine Temp Sender Part # 6718414 ($50) Connector has 2 blue wires Alternator Part # C3529 Connector has 1 Orange and 1 Red wire Starter Part # B16488R I removed the wiring harness and traced the wires using a volt ohm meter. The wiring harness has a large 6 pin connector which plugs into another harness leading to controls and the computer. The connector pin out wire color is 1) 16GA Orange going to the Alternator, 2) 16GA Blue going to the Temp Sender, 3) 16GA Blue going to the Temp Sender and RPM Sensor, 4) 16GA White going to the Starter, 5) 12GA White going to the Starter, 6) 16GA Blue going to the RPM Sensor. I'm not 100% sure of the wire gauge. The harness also includes a 2GA Black negative cable and 2GA Red positive cable for the starter and alternator. My issue was a broken wire inside the harness. Rather than tear the harness apart I spliced in and taped another wire to the harness from the temp sender to pin 3 at the 6 pin connector. It was just an educated guess as to where the broken wire lead to the 6 pin connector. Obviously the RPM Sensor and Temp Sender are connected somewhere within the harness. A new wiring harness would be nice but as long as this works I'm good not spending the bucks at Bobcat Parts. This solved the issue and my S175 is running and acting as it was designed.

Latest posts