S160 - randomly shuts off after 30/45minutes

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Apeo

I've got 2011 S160 that hasn't seen much use for the past few years but I've been doing a bit more with it and it will randomly shut off and won't start again for half an hour or so. It's driving me nuts and I can't figure it out. It's also decided that it won't do anything when I turn the key sometimes… other times it starts right up. Any help would be great.

OP
OP
A

Apeo

When it's running there is no issues. It works as it should. I have done the basics . Oils/filters/cleaned battery terminals. The alternator was loose so I fixed that and got it tightened again.

brdgbldr

Sounds like an electrical issue to me. Since you aren't getting any codes, I would start looking for rubbed or chewed wires that are shorting out or loose connections. Sometimes the wires will short when they heat up and/or cool down.

I had a loose wire "blade" connection once that drove me nuts. It was the starter wire, and even though it was connected, it was loose enough to act like the battery was going bad. Sometimes it would start no problem, other times hard to start and sometimes nothing. But since it was connected, I didn't find it until I started to pull all the wires to check them.

Needless to say I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS.

OP
OP
A

Apeo

Sounds like an electrical issue to me. Since you aren't getting any codes, I would start looking for rubbed or chewed wires that are shorting out or loose connections. Sometimes the wires will short when they heat up and/or cool down.

I had a loose wire "blade" connection once that drove me nuts. It was the starter wire, and even though it was connected, it was loose enough to act like the battery was going bad. Sometimes it would start no problem, other times hard to start and sometimes nothing. But since it was connected, I didn't find it until I started to pull all the wires to check them.

Needless to say I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS.
Haha yeah mate I was hoping it would be one thing like a bad sensor or fuel cutoff switch etc. something I could direct my attention to… if it's a bad wire/electrical issue it's going to be bloody hard to find. Would you have any idea where p start looking?

brdgbldr

That's the problem with these machines if there is no code thrown.
You might start with anything fuel related. Like the fuel shutoff solenoid or injectors.. Diesel engines only shut down when the fuel or air is cut off.

OP
OP
A

Apeo

That's the problem with these machines if there is no code thrown.
You might start with anything fuel related. Like the fuel shutoff solenoid or injectors.. Diesel engines only shut down when the fuel or air is cut off.
Thanks a lot mate, it's stuck on a worksite with a bucket full of stone at the moment. I'll get it home and have a look around

jambalini

Does it start ok when it is cold? I'm coming at the lack of oil pressure angle when the engine gets hot. The machines normally beep with a getting low warning though before they actually shut down. Just a thought.

OP
OP
A

Apeo

Does it start ok when it is cold? I'm coming at the lack of oil pressure angle when the engine gets hot. The machines normally beep with a getting low warning though before they actually shut down. Just a thought.
It starts when it's cold but when it turns off it's as if I've turned it off if that makes sense. Just instantly shuts down. Then it will crank over and won't start unless I let it sit for 30 minutes or so.

It's new issue is when I turn the key it doesn't do anything no lights at all then it will suddenly work again, I think it's a key barrel issue.

banjoman69

You might give a look at the fuse panel. Very bad design as it has a rubber/plastic bladder surrounding the metal cover. I guess the thought process was to seal it so tight that water couldn't get into the panel. However anytime rubber or plastic is involved you'll get condensation, which is what happened to mine. Water within through the temp change of the heat of the motor and outside temp variations caused condensation in the fuse panel area and all fuses are corroded . I have bypassed some because a new fuse panel comes with wiring and is several hundred dollars but worse is the labor if you can't do the job yourself. Imo poor design. I
drilled a couple of small "air" holes in the bottom of the fuse panel cover, too little too late I suppose. Makes me feel better however. Worth looking in to I think.

Jerry01314

I would add some fuel cleaner to tank.Next I would check for air in the fuel filter since it is new .
B is right on fuses.
Old trick of mine have some one start engine as you are in the back looking at motor with flash light in hand but off. If you see the spark then you are home.Y ou may have to
spray engine with a little water. Jerry

Latest posts