S 220 w/no electrical power

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cdupuy

I have an 2005 S22O w/ 1600 hours. When I turn the key on, there is no power to the dash panel, no gage indications, , no glow plug timer, and will not turn over. Bobcat tech. came out, we checked the main fuse by the battery, the fuse box under the seat had a blown fuse to the "computer." We replaced the fuse. He checked the connection harness behind the left panel by the foot controls. Looked ok. We could not find any obvious problems. Any ideas? The Bobcat dealer is 45 miles away. Any ideas for getting this unit on a trailer? Thanks for looking at this post. Carr

antfarmer2

Did not see that you checked the battery,battery concections and the connections at the starter or if the starter is loose loseing ground also the main ground

Tazza

Staff member
Did not see that you checked the battery,battery concections and the connections at the starter or if the starter is loose loseing ground also the main ground
There should be a 100 or 200A fuse just above the battery, check that it's not blown too.
As Antfarmer suggested, don't rule out a bad battery either. Even run a wire from the +ve to the small pin in the starter, see if it cranks.

OP
OP
cdupuy

cdupuy

There should be a 100 or 200A fuse just above the battery, check that it's not blown too.
As Antfarmer suggested, don't rule out a bad battery either. Even run a wire from the +ve to the small pin in the starter, see if it cranks.
Thanks for the replies. I am assuming the battery is good since when is was trying to remove the fuse and fuse holder I accidentally made contact with the wrench to the frame of the skidsteer- I got a good spark! This was on the side of the fuse towards the cab, so I think the fuse is good. There is a large cable that is connected to the fuse holder that goes forward towards the cab. I am assuming that this provides battery power to the fuses, computer, gauges, key switch, and then sends 12v back to the starter. The only place I find 12 volts in the cab is at the fuse box. I have ordered the c-d from Bobcat to help troubleshoot further. I need a circuit diagram to figure out where some more check points are in the cab. I am thinking I may just have to get a wrecker out to haul it into town since I can't start it to get it on my trailer. thanks, Carr

antfarmer2

Thanks for the replies. I am assuming the battery is good since when is was trying to remove the fuse and fuse holder I accidentally made contact with the wrench to the frame of the skidsteer- I got a good spark! This was on the side of the fuse towards the cab, so I think the fuse is good. There is a large cable that is connected to the fuse holder that goes forward towards the cab. I am assuming that this provides battery power to the fuses, computer, gauges, key switch, and then sends 12v back to the starter. The only place I find 12 volts in the cab is at the fuse box. I have ordered the c-d from Bobcat to help troubleshoot further. I need a circuit diagram to figure out where some more check points are in the cab. I am thinking I may just have to get a wrecker out to haul it into town since I can't start it to get it on my trailer. thanks, Carr
Did you check to see if the starter is loose I have seen this happen or the ground off the battery on both ends clean and tight

OP
OP
cdupuy

cdupuy

you typed "+ve to the small pin in the starter." I think this means to run a jumper from the positive post on the battery to the small pin on the starter. I am not sure where the small pin is on the starter, I assume this closes a relay on the starter, and then the starter engages. What happens to all of the interlock systems if I do this? Remember, I have no panel messages, no gage indications up in the cab. Thanks, Carr

antfarmer2

you typed "+ve to the small pin in the starter." I think this means to run a jumper from the positive post on the battery to the small pin on the starter. I am not sure where the small pin is on the starter, I assume this closes a relay on the starter, and then the starter engages. What happens to all of the interlock systems if I do this? Remember, I have no panel messages, no gage indications up in the cab. Thanks, Carr
It does crank?

OP
OP
cdupuy

cdupuy

It does crank?
No sir, it does not crank. I have not tried you suggestion yet. I was wondering what would happen to all the interlock functions if I tried your method. I have no gage movement at all on the panel when I turn on the key. Thank you.

antfarmer2

No sir, it does not crank. I have not tried you suggestion yet. I was wondering what would happen to all the interlock functions if I tried your method. I have no gage movement at all on the panel when I turn on the key. Thank you.
Then I would also take a closer look at that big fuse above the battery it could just have a bad connection there then follow the wire to the big post on the starter if you have power there I would think about the starter or the starter soliniod or loose starter good luck

antfarmer2

Then I would also take a closer look at that big fuse above the battery it could just have a bad connection there then follow the wire to the big post on the starter if you have power there I would think about the starter or the starter soliniod or loose starter good luck
Also cheak the key switch and look for a fuse to it

jerry

Also cheak the key switch and look for a fuse to it
whatever you do don't do anymore arcing with the wrench. Bobcat mechanic told me a few years ago that they get a lot of problems that are caused by nearby lightning , welding on the machine and arcing while tinkering with electrical things. Electronics do not like things like that.
If you jump it from the battery to the small terminal on the starter solenoid it should turn over , then you just have to figure out how to energize the fuel solenoid.

Tazza

Staff member
whatever you do don't do anymore arcing with the wrench. Bobcat mechanic told me a few years ago that they get a lot of problems that are caused by nearby lightning , welding on the machine and arcing while tinkering with electrical things. Electronics do not like things like that.
If you jump it from the battery to the small terminal on the starter solenoid it should turn over , then you just have to figure out how to energize the fuel solenoid.
As jerry mentiones, on the starter there will be big fat wires that come from the +ve battery terminal, then there will be one small terminal with one wire going to it. This termninal gets +12 run to it from the starter relay and if the battery is good, it will crank. I just use a small jumper cable to get 12V to that terminal. You can use screw drivers or pliers, but run the risk of slipping and shortening the pliers or screw drivers, ask me how i know this?
I'm with jerry on the acring, it has the potential of causing electronic damage but also melts the points where you generate the arc.

OP
OP
cdupuy

cdupuy

As jerry mentiones, on the starter there will be big fat wires that come from the +ve battery terminal, then there will be one small terminal with one wire going to it. This termninal gets +12 run to it from the starter relay and if the battery is good, it will crank. I just use a small jumper cable to get 12V to that terminal. You can use screw drivers or pliers, but run the risk of slipping and shortening the pliers or screw drivers, ask me how i know this?
I'm with jerry on the acring, it has the potential of causing electronic damage but also melts the points where you generate the arc.
I tried connecting the + post on the starter to one of the the small pins on the starter. The starter motor ran, so this proves the battery is good. I got the skid steer pulled on to my trailer yesterday. It was tough job since the wheels on the skid steer could not be disengaged. It was ugly, but we got it done. It was very difficult to drag the skid steer over the angle iron on the ramps. I would recommend using a wrecker service that has a roll-off bed. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/S%20220%20Bobcat/_thumbs/starter.jpg

OP
OP
cdupuy

cdupuy

I tried connecting the + post on the starter to one of the the small pins on the starter. The starter motor ran, so this proves the battery is good. I got the skid steer pulled on to my trailer yesterday. It was tough job since the wheels on the skid steer could not be disengaged. It was ugly, but we got it done. It was very difficult to drag the skid steer over the angle iron on the ramps. I would recommend using a wrecker service that has a roll-off bed. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/S%20220%20Bobcat/_thumbs/starter.jpg
I got my s-220 back from the bobcat dealer today. Mice or rats chewed through some wires on the main wiring harness that is connected to the fuse panel. Very expensive, $ 1,900 for the harness. I think the harness wire could have been spliced back together if I had found where the damage was located. Thanks for trying to help.

Tazza

Staff member
I got my s-220 back from the bobcat dealer today. Mice or rats chewed through some wires on the main wiring harness that is connected to the fuse panel. Very expensive, $ 1,900 for the harness. I think the harness wire could have been spliced back together if I had found where the damage was located. Thanks for trying to help.
Sadly the dealer isn't interested in splicing or patching wiring, they just want to replace the harness. I guess it's a way so they can be sure it's not going to be an issue again.

Latest posts